PCV Valve or not?

Cathode

As you can see from the picture, my chubby digit is pointing at what I’m assuming is the PCV valve? Or does the V in PCV mean valve? Anyway, is that what it is?

many thanks.

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

Last edited:

Cathode

Pcv is top left of rocker cover.
Thank you stu, I’ve just had a look and it seems to have a big bolt in it. So it’s been blanked off. I assume this is not ideal? I’ve read some conflicting posts and I’m just concerned that I’m not allowing the engine to breathe properly. Does anyone have any advice on what’s the best thing to do? Do I get another PCV valve? Should it connect to something ? Is it suppose to be recirculating the fumes back into the engine somewhere? If so, where to?

Any help and advice would be great.
Lemme know.

Last edited:

gtirx2

If you want to run a vent to atmosphere set up I would re install the original oil separator and also restrictor pipe from separator if possible then plumb another hose from the pcv valve to your catch tank.

engn1 2_zps0tspyez9.jpg

Cathode

Looks like you have a catch tank vented to atmosphere already, top right?

Mat
Yes you’re right, I’m just questioning if this is sufficient enough. I get a bit of blow by and was wondering if PCV valve plus slightly different set up would reduce it a bit.

Cathode

If you want to run a vent to atmosphere set up I would re install the original oil separator and also restrictor pipe from separator if possible then plumb another hose from the pcv valve to your catch tank.

View attachment 4782
I’m not sure if I have the restrictor pipe as the previous owner may have done away with it. I’m going to have to fine tooth comb eBay. Not sure I have the oil separator or what it looks like. Still much to learn.

gtirx2

Separator and restrictor pipe is pictured in my pic.

These alone will reduce oil in your catch can.

Pcv is only used for a sealed system to draw fresh air from the intake pipe under vacuum into the engine and will not work with a vented system as will draw in unmetered air.

There are pros and cons with both setups some like sealed and some like vented if vented I would look for the above items and also vent the pcv if possible

Cathode

Separator and restrictor pipe is pictured in my pic.

These alone will reduce oil in your catch can.

Pcv is only used for a sealed system to draw fresh air from the intake pipe under vacuum into the engine and will not work with a vented system as will draw in unmetered air.

There are pros and cons with both setups some like sealed and some like vented if vented I would look for the above items and also vent the pcv if possible
Thanks for this

Just another question. I bought my car already modified not knowing the SR20 set up.

Looking at your pic my question is:

Does the restrictor pipe fit onto the oil separator?

Last edited:

gtirx2

Picture here

Cathode

To anyone who may know:

On a standard sr20det set up, where does the pipe that comes from the PCV valve come from go?

I’ve been looking on google and it seems to disappear round the back of the plenum of the inlet manifold somewhere but then it’s obscured where it leads to or, what it’s plumbed in to.

Last edited:

gtirx2

The pcv is a one way valve and under vacuum/idle opens and links to a metal/rubber pipe that connects to the 4 nipples that are on top of the individual throttle bodies.

Yours are proberly blanked or linked together.