Parts Development

Dasilva

Thanks Vss i will contact him regarding a price.

The indicator mould was made by hand, using an aftermarket orange led for the light.
Whether this would pass an MOT I’m not sure but if someone could generate a mould from mine i would be happy to help GTIR community ;)

P

pulsarboby

very kind of you phil thanks!

tbh at the moment ive got too much on my plate to get those into production, but must admitt that they do look good and i will take you up on your idea a little later on!

btw did your mate still want that red rolling shell? need to know within next few days, if not it will just be stripped down.
cheers mate:thumbsup:

Lionel

bob if you need any info about the carbon intake pipe drop me a call as i have looked in to this befor.

P

pulsarboby

once again lionel, if you have already looked into getting them on the market then im not gonna step on your toes!
so if you think they are worthwhile doing then just go ahead with them yourself, but if you want me to be honest, i dont think you will sell enough of them to make it a worthwhile cause, unless there ridiculously cheap!

Lionel

it's the fact that the carbon will not bend when being molded that's all.

Edited into something that an adult can actually understand by Odin :doh: :roll: .

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasilva

Bob i will have a chat with him hopefully tomorrow..

Took closer look at the indicator intake and it is a lot easier to make:
All you need to do is sacrifice and indicator separate the clear lens from the backing then cut out the hole where the bulb is.
Smooth over with filler then spray the necessary colour to match.

To really take advantage you need a straight intake pipe.

vss irvine

Lionel said:
it's the fact that the carbon will not bend when being molded that's all.

Edited into something that an adult can actually understand by Odin :doh: :roll: .
carbon comes in a roll, like fabric! so it can be made into almost any shape required!! its the resin that then hardens it up once added!

Lionel

When we looked in to doing this i was talking to a company that deal in carbon and i was told that bending the carbon will make it week and would not work very well as an intake pipe.

but i gess we have some beter carbon fiber engineers on this forum.:roll:

P

pulsarboby

tbh lionel its the same as fibreglass matting in a way!

as irvine said above, it comes in a flat roll, like carpet! its flexible in every way, but once you add the resin and catalyst hardener it then is formed into any shape thats desired (same as fibreglass, but much more expensive)

nearlly all carbon fibre panels are bent in one way or another, and they are very very strong indeed.

Lionel

yeah I've seen a roll of carbon, well I'm just going by what i was told.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionel

Well iv just talked to reverie and they said that it could be dont BUT where the bends are they would be weeker then the rest of the pipe and the cost of doing it would be a lot. Just to make the tooling for the part your looking at 700+ so in the end it would make the producted over priced.

so i gess that one could be taken off the list.

P

pulsarboby

nope not yet im afraid! still havent got the brakes sorted either

vss irvine

Lionel said:
When we looked in to doing this i was talking to a company that deal in carbon and i was told that bending the carbon will make it week and would not work very well as an intake pipe.

but i gess we have some beter carbon fiber engineers on this forum.:roll:
carbon fibre engineer, no! but actually looking into the how thing are made, instead of taking one persons word for it, yes!

tnuc ykeehc!

i dont see how it would be so weak as to not withstand the intake pressure, its not as if its on the pressure side. think you need to speak to a company thats actually interested in helping you out.

youngsyp

vss irvine said:
i dont see how it would be so weak as to not withstand the intake pressure, its not as if its on the pressure side. think you need to speak to a company thats actually interested in helping you out.
Plus, if it's weak, it's not been made properly.
CF or Kevlar products should be made uniformly and therefore, not have 'weak spots'.
As VSS has stated though, the part doesn't need to be made from structural CF as, it's only an intake pipe.