OILCOOLER TEMP?

Shaun

:D Just fitted my Mocal front mount oilcooler today :!: Took bloody ages :!: :twisted: Anyway,what temp are they supposed to start working at :?: Let it tickover to get it to temperature so it would fill the cooler which went ok,so i took it for a spin and the temp stayed at 80 deg's which also went well,but i let the car cool for an hour or two,then went for another drive for about 10 mins and the temp stayed at 70 deg's(40 to 50 mph) so i pulled over and felt the cooler and it was red hot :?: I thought that they only started to work at approx 80-85 deg's :?:

Shaun

:D Yes mate got it from Hiteq,they sent the wrong plate at first,so i had to wait 3 weeks for one with the thermostat in :!: Tried it this morning with everything cold,drove for 2 mile to work,by this time the water temp was at normal but the oil temp needle had'nt moved of the bottom of the gauge :!: Checked the cooler and it was warm,so think the stat is stuck open :!:

C

chrislloydus

the stat is always open a small amount so that there isnt a pressure drop at the point the stat opens fully. An oil cooler full of oil at 50 degrees will feel hot to tocuh, but wont register on the guage. Typically my car takes 5-10 mins to reach 50deg and probably 10-15 to reach operating temp. I doubt you would have got there in 2 miles of driving ?

Nothing to worry about !

Chris

Shaun

:D Hi Chris,so are these figures when ticking overmate :?: If so if you drive your car from cold,how long would you say it takes to get to normal operating temp :?:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
the stat is always open a small amount so that there isnt a pressure drop at the point the stat opens fully
Chris you took the words right out of my mouth mate, and like you mine takes about 10 -15 mins driving to warm to operating temp of about 85 deg.

Shaun

:D Hi Steve,after 35 mins its just starting to come over 70 deg's on mine :( What do you think :?: Its taking ages :!:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Shaun mine takes about 10 -15 mins driving to warm to operating temp of about 85 deg...............

you said
35 mins its just starting to come over 70 deg's on mine
That does seem a bit of a long time just to get to that temp??? is that 35 mins of off boost normal driving or just ticking over.

From cold I don't drive like a granny but try to keep the revs below 3 - 3500 untill it gets to about 75 deg, then I generally just start letting the revs get a bit higher from then on. If I've reached operating temp 85 deg, and then just sit in a traffic jam for 5 - 10 mins it will creep up to 95 deg but will soon go back down again.

What I would do is wait until the water is at it's normal op temp them take it down the motorway and sit at 70 - 75mph and see what it does then.

It would be interesting to see what the temps do if you cut out a peice of card and attach that to the front of the cooler rad (just for the experiment)

Let me know what you discover

Steve

Shaun

:D Hi Steve,to get that figure i let it tick over for 20mins,then drove in traffic(ie.stopping and starting)for the next 15mins.I thought it was taking a while to come up to temp :!: I also drive at 3000 rev's until she warms up,but you can see my problem,she's not warming up :!: I also thought of blocking of the rad :!: So i think i'll do that mate and let you know the outcome :!:

Shaun

:D Just blocked off the cooler with cardboard and its been a huge improvement.I let the car tickover for 10-15 mins,then drove home(2 mile)and the temp was already at 75 deg's :!: So gonna have to see if i can get a new insert off Ian :!:

P

PROAUTOPARTS

Oil Cooler

Hey Guys,

how much was the oil coolers you bought and what type are they as i am looking at this as the next mod for my R............

Steve
X GTi-R X

ian c

cooler trouble

i have recently wooped an oil cooler on the car - although its doing a great job keeping the oil cold when i'm boosting, i'm not impressed by the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate.....as chris says, its always open a touch......this gives me the following problem.....

how the hell do you stop all the oil running back to the sump when the car is standing.....now i start it up, as there's loads of additional oil sat on the engine the pressure rockets to 6.....then as soon as the engine hits temp (80), the valve opens, fills the system with oil, then pressure drops right back down to 2.......i'm always watchin the gauge now expecting the worst.....and also - how to i know how much oil is actually in the engine when its all up to temp - cos the stick always reads over the scale!

i've routed the cooler hoses so the core is not at the highest point of the system, so some oil stays in place etc.....

not impressed, i may as well have fitted the normal plate for what its worth as i always let it come up to temp anyway!

Shaun

:D I think i've found the problem with the length of time the FMOC takes to warm up :!: If I turn the heatermatrix to cold the oil temp warms up as normal and dosent go above 80 deg's :shock: If I then return the heater to hot,the problem re-occurs :shock: :!: So i think that the overcooling problem might be due to the fact that i have a race spec radiator,and this combined with the heater matrix is a little too efficient :!:

Shaun

:D Took the thermostat out the other day,seemed to be stuck as it took a little effort to remove it.Tested it and worked fine,put it back in and it seems to be working fine now :lol: :lol: :lol: So looks like i've sorted it :lol:

Shaun

:twisted: :twisted: This thing is really starting to PI$$ me off now :twisted: :twisted: Went on a run tonight,got out of town for some motorway speeds(nothing over the top).Accelerated from 50 to 80mph and the temp went from 78deg's to 55/60deg's and would not warm up until i blocked the cooler and turned off the heater :twisted: Came back to town speeds ie stopping and starting and it was ok again :!: Does anyone with a cooler know the assembley of the thermostat in the sandwhich plate :?: I.E.What goes where :?:

Dooie Pop Pop

mine sits just above 73 maybe 75 when driving normally around town. if i leave it sitting it' ll heat up as normal. iv not give it more than 4min of stick since i fitted it but it never went over 78degrees.

M

Mr Overboooost

sounds like to me you have got a duff one shaun as i dont have that trouble with mine :( :?

cheers
gary

Shaun

:D Hi Gary,i think your right mate,i've tried not to mess about with it for all the time it's been on,but i have always monitered the temps,and to be honest they havent really got any better :evil: But i have got a new sandwhich plate and thermostat off a very good mate of mine,so as soon as i can get 5minutes i'll put it on and let you know how i get on with the temps :wink: