Next project - Mini Vtec conversion

M

mynheers_a_pint

Honda K series fetch extortionate amounts of money and for the power they provide, you can easily build a B series that will destroy one for 1/4 the cost.

There is an XE powered mini in this months PPC mag that seems pretty well built. Albeit, short in the power department when compared to any Honda engine..! Still, 150bhp in a mini is no slouch!

olliecast

There was a very nice mini at thorsby hall sprint last weekend steve.
I think that was running a metro turbo lump which sounded alot rattly than our shitters lumps, but bloody hell did it go

I`m sure i remember seeing some pics of bracpan (phil) competeing in his mini. May be worth asking him which route he took?

Cheers,
ollie

Last edited:
V-tec and XE converted mini's leave me cold I'm affraid, just been done to death. Also nothing rusts quite like a mini and I come from owning old fords!

B16 head on a the B20 bottom end is an awesome idea, gave thought to doing it to a CRX before i bought the Pulsar but I think Bob's got the right idea with the megabusa myself.

Last edited:
M

mynheers_a_pint

what about a Fiat/Audi 20v engine?

Toyota A4GE? or what ever the Levin 20v engine is called?

Lot's of much more unusual engine out there..!

A wankle mini would be awesome!

paz

Mate of mine did the B20 bottom end in his old CRX, out of a CRV (or whatever they're called). You have to do some modification to the lump, but FUCK ME it absolutely flew. Never been in a faster N/a car.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
V-tec and XE converted mini's leave me cold I'm affraid, just been done to death. Also nothing rusts quite like a mini and I come from owning old fords!

B16 head on a the B20 bottom end is an awesome idea, gave thought to doing it to a CRX before i bought the Pulsar but I think Bob's got the right idea with the megabusa myself.
The bike engine option is a great one for the track but this car would be used primarily on the road. A bike engined car would be fine on the road but you would have to cane the fuck out of it when accelerating and you couldn't really just discretely pootle round town. Where as because the Vtec conversions have been "done to death" there will be a market flooded with available parts, it's easier to build more of a standard looking "sleeper" and the opportunity not to have to drive everywhere balls out but to occasionally just roll along quietly appeals.

So B20 it is (I think lol)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
can i recommend that you consider a B20 conversion- CRV non vtec bottom end (B20Z) with the B16 head? You will knock out a good 200+ bhp, have silly high revs AAND 160+ ft lb of torque.

A chap on the CRX owners club has recently recorded the fastest 1/4 for a FWN, nasp honda with a B20 at 12.7 seconds. In a CRX that weights 200kg more than a standard mini. If you do a hydro box conversion you also have the option of LSD's and all sorts of gear ratios from numerous gearbox variants. CRV drive train can offer you a 4wd option as well and has been done in CRX's, DC-2's del sols etc etc.

What about a GTM coupe with a b20 in the boot?
I wonder what the benefit is with using the CRV non vtec bottom end with the B16 head rather than the standard B20 vtec, surely the 1600 head doesn't breath as well as the 2ltr head ?

Fair enough, horses for course and all that. I some times think using the 'R as a daily drive has warped my perceptions of what constitutes a road car.

4 wheel drive sounds interesting though. I have a friend thats well into his minis that always talked about building a mini 6r4 or 4r4 (using a v4 bike engine)

paz

I wonder what the benefit is with using the CRV non vtec bottom end with the B16 head rather than the standard B20 vtec, surely the 1600 head doesn't breath as well as the 2ltr head ?
No idea if I'm honest, I just know it's reasonably popular on crx uk for those who do conversions.

I could find out if really interested.

Cheers

Paz

P

pulsarboby

if you do this steve then start a thread on here please!
im thinking of going the hayabusa route and building one for my boy to mosey on round in on track:lol: once hes old enough to drive!

would be an interesting project which im sure a lot on here would find very interesting8)

M

mynheers_a_pint

there is no such thing as a B20 vtec from Honda. Honda produced a number of B series that were non vtec including a B18 engine for the USDM.

There a numerous debates raging in regards to which head to use- B16 or B18. However, with Cams and valve train being interchangable, a large amount of people simply fit a cheap B16 head to the B20 and then install Type R cams. This was done to my CRX and it made for a fantastic, high revving car.

The one thing you will need to look for is a Golden eagle conversion kit-

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-golden-eagle-vtec-conversion-kit-hondaacura-b18b16b20.cfm

You may also want to consider a crank girdle if you were gonig to build it yourself.

The standard B20 does not provide oil to a vtec head. This kit allows for a suitable supply of oil. If it is of any help to you, i can put you in touch with a chap who has built a minimum of 50% of current B20 CRX's. He is the chap who managed a 12.7 second 1/4 and is incredibly profficient in producing reliable B20 vtecs. I went out in his original car and the engine is still going strong, 4 years on.

I'm assuming you are content with sticking with NASP? B20's as standard are a fairly weak engine compared to standard B16/18's so any form of FI requires a lot of work including sleaving. If turbo charging was an option, you'd be better off with a B16/18 and going from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Olds

Mine was anything between 1340 and 1380. Dont think cc 's are everthing. 100bhp is a right handful, no matter. Just run a salisbury lsd at 100lbft+. a 300+ cam and 12:1, along with a huge weber and a head with ports you could drive a truck down. I kid you not, you will love it.

bracpan

I had a Mini,,,well Riley Elf with 200bhp 20 years ago....was faster than my Pulsar by over 3 seconds on most tracks..was a right handfull. No power steering, or brakes. And only weighed just over 10cwt.
thats around 500kg at the time only the fastest Super Cars could get to 100mph quicker than it.....whats more I still have it in bits in my garage.
Cheers
Phil
PS Been thinking of rebuilding it with over 300bhp and 4 wheel drive...

olliecast

I had a Mini,,,well Riley Elf with 200bhp 20 years ago....was faster than my Pulsar by over 3 seconds on most tracks..was a right handfull. No power steering, or brakes. And only weighed just over 10cwt.
thats around 500kg at the time only the fastest Super Cars could get to 100mph quicker than it.....whats more I still have it in bits in my garage.
Cheers
Phil
PS Been thinking of rebuilding it with over 300bhp and 4 wheel drive...

i can remember seeing this phil, looked like something worthy of a film title, under the dust sheets etc. lol.

DRC

Steve, as a project goes they are great fun to build and run. The conversion is quite easy if your " a dab hand " as i am sure you are.
These engines are basic and a great "add on " to a Mini.

But if like me you are a true R lover ,you will come back to her time and time again. There is nothing out there that gives you a buzz like an R. I had a drive of the new Skyline a few days back and don't get me wrong it is a great car! Jesus it really pushes the limit and is a true credit to the R badge.
But it still does not "tick al the boxes " like the old sunny. What every they did then back when i was growing up they can't DO AGAIN! .

Sorry to go on. The mini is a great icon and again so much can be done with it. I guess it is a personal choice.............

paz

i can put you in touch with a chap who has built a minimum of 50% of current B20 CRX's.
He might be the same bloke who did my mates, as I know he drove over for a weekend and they went at it. I'd love to have that kind of knowledge!

This is the engine that went in my mates:

B20B / B20Z
1999 - 2000 specs
NON-VTEC
Found in: USDM CRV as a B20Z, JDM Honda CR-V and Honda Orthia as a B20B
Displacement: 1,973 cc (120.4 cu in)
Power: 146 hp (109 kW)) @ 5400 rpm
Torque: 133 ft·lbf (180 N·m) @ 4300 rpm
Rod length: 137 mm (5.394 in)
Compression: 9.6:1
Bore: 84 mm (3.3 in)
Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in)
Redline: 6300 rpm

As you say, it had to be modified to provide oil to the head. Thats the end of my knowledge, so it sounds like you know a lot more than me :lol:

Paz

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Bit off topic but im sure i read in a thread sometime ago you wanted to build an Ultima, too expensive?
Yes, I did seriously consider a from scratch Ultima build, with the attitude of "so what if it takes years, I can do it in stages" but I quickly came to the conclusion that although beautiful the Ultima was to much of a weekend, sunny days only car and that wasn't what I was looking for.

Obviously the cost of building a respectable Ultima (not on a budget) does come into it as well. I also want to be able to drive it without turning every head and the novelty of be able to park it in the middle of town without being concerned about theft or paintwork vandals would also be nice, as this is one of the things that pisses me off about the pulsar.