New to pulsars and need advice

pulsar pete

On the ramp I've done it in around 2 hours (all tools at the ready) and on the floor around 4 hours, but I've done this a fare few times now and know exactly what to take off and in what order,nothing is seized up etc

Davidbeck

On the ramp I've done it in around 2 hours (all tools at the ready) and on the floor around 4 hours, but I've done this a fare few times now and know exactly what to take off and in what order,nothing is seized up etc
That's fair you local to Andover Hampshire? ;)

vpulsar

You know I owned my last pulsar over 10 years and it never broke down once, however it did spend at least 4 years off the road while I rebuilt it several times to higher and higher specs. My best advice is find a nice clean one and don't run anymore than 380 bhp and you'll have yourself a pretty reliable and fun car if you modify and maintain it correctly.

pulsar pete

Both of mine have been superb engine wise, gearbox wise they have been pretty bad,running over 400bhp doesn't do then any good,I'm currently having a par 1st to 4th straight cut gearset fitted and a shot peened oem 5th plus a stratcher gearbox brace. Hopefully that will sort my gearbox issues out and I can carry on enjoying driving it.

Mad

I used to run a standard box with 400bhp and was fine on the road but certainly on the limit I would say.

However when I used to run at Santa Pod and was extremely hard with it, I did break it twice so would recommend a Quaife box if you intend to drag it around that power.

pulsar pete

I have 17 inch by 8j wheels with r888s which doesn't help the box at all. I had all my standard gears shot peened and that was a total waste of time and money.

Davidbeck

I don't plan on running to much power but I know that's a lie lol. I'll have to save for box and brakes first before I look at power! What price are we looking at for uprated internals and where's best for parts as there doesn't seem much on the market

pulsar pete

I don't plan on running to much power but I know that's a lie lol. I'll have to save for box and brakes first before I look at power! What price are we looking at for uprated internals and where's best for parts as there doesn't seem much on the market
As far as uprated gear box internals go there's par (which I have gone for) ppg and quaiffe.
The Quaiffe are around 2800/2900 pounds and that's 1st to 5th and they are semi helical. A lot of people have broken quaiffe gears, I've gone for par engineering in Australia, it's a fully straight cut gear, but it's only 1st to 4th, 5th is an extra 1000 aus dollars (around £500) I tried to keep costs down and straight cut gears are very noisy so an oem 5th will keep it quiet on the motorways cruising etc. And for no reason I can see ppg are double the price of par?! You can also buy billet 3rd/4th selector forks. You could have your standard gear set shot peened and put through a 'rem' process which I did but can honestly say it's a total waste of money! Hope this helps?

Davidbeck

As far as uprated gear box internals go there's par (which I have gone for) ppg and quaiffe.
The Quaiffe are around 2800/2900 pounds and that's 1st to 5th and they are semi helical. A lot of people have broken quaiffe gears, I've gone for par engineering in Australia, it's a fully straight cut gear, but it's only 1st to 4th, 5th is an extra 1000 aus dollars (around £500) I tried to keep costs down and straight cut gears are very noisy so an oem 5th will keep it quiet on the motorways cruising etc. And for no reason I can see ppg are double the price of par?! You can also buy billet 3rd/4th selector forks. You could have your standard gear set shot peened and put through a 'rem' process which I did but can honestly say it's a total waste of money! Hope this helps?
Quite a bit of money then. Par engineering, straight cut gears for £500 ain't to bad. What goes on the gearbox? Does it just smash the teeth off?

pulsar pete

Depends how you look at it haha. Well I've done 3 3rd gears and one 4th, it's just stripped the gears each time. 3rd gear on a pulsar is basically the same as a nissan micra (so my gearbox builder told and showed me). So all the extra torque and grip from the slicks finds the weakest point which is the pidly little standard gear teeth. I stripped 4th by going over the brow of a hill with my foot down, the car didn't even leave the road!