New... and new to GTiR's...

pulsarboby said:
at 2k+ for insurance i would say give it a miss matey!
i reckon people are being a little pessimistic about the reliability probs though and painting a bad picture of the car!
circa 300bhp you will have a fairly reliable car.
I agree with this my first was 325bhp and reliable, the only things that went were water pump and then altenator.

pulsarboby said:
imo these engines arent designed to sustain high hp for any given lenghs of time, neither are the gearboxes.
100% info and accurate view imo.

Mate it may feel quick but you'd get used to it, bored and want more, this is what I found, then found it with the Skylines and regret 90% of the stuff and money I spent on them, take your time and look when your ready for whats right, you seem like a decent chap and can be here gain info, review the cars and see what you think adn then decide when its a better value for money.

Just a few more views from me :)

steven_c

karting said:
now thats a good reply if ive ever heard one from a young lad. Thinking about saftey before speed. Personally if i wasnt a race driver i wouldnt get one at my age (21) id wait till i was atleast 23-25 purly because of the sheer power

i'd 2nd that top lad mate, sensible head on you by the sounds of it..

Radleigh

I've been shit unlucky :(

8 months -

Water pump which took headgasket.
Knock sensor.
Exhaust gaskets.
Turbo gaskets.
Gearbox stuck in reverse when moving out my drive.
Window shattered for no reason when i put the drivers one down.
Door was jammed shut and could not open it, Which I think may have lead to the window going?!
Radiator.
Boot lock jamming when shutting.
Boost pipe breaking on weld. (aftermarket kit though!)

I know some are niggly bits, but they still went wrong for some reason, and what bugs me most is my friend owned my car before me for 2 years and only had one gearbox problem! was trouble free...

I love the car and it'll come back bigger and better very soon :thumbsup:

warringtonjack

I've been fairly lucky. :)

Had the car just over 4 years, and reliabilitywise, its been spot on.

Had blockage in radiator, replaced with second hand one.
Had some rust on bodywork sorted out.

Erm, thats it! :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

D

Darren-gtir

I keep having second thoughts lol. Just trying to sort insurance cheaper than £214 a month so I can secure the deal... really fancy owning a GTiR for a wee while... just untill my astra turbo is built ;)

STEVEN878

mate stick to the c20let or z20let and put it in at corsa with a f16 box keep the boost too around 2bar with appropriate mods to support and leave the gtir till your about 21. i insured my r for 960 f/c when i was 21 and when it was renewal time they wanted 1400. these cars are fun but expensive to run everyday especially fuel.

D

Darren-gtir

Just an update I picked up my gtir tonight enjoying it. There was gtiroc card and stickers in with the history. Rr'd at 301bhp :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just an update I picked up my gtir tonight enjoying it.
Glad to hear it. One thing that is important is when anything does go wrong or fail, repair it correctly. Don't cut corners and use quality products/fluids otherwise you will start to see your £££'s really disappear!

Happy motoring :thumb:

For those struggling to get insurance, check out Central Insurance Direct - they insured me at 20 on a GTiR and now at 22 on an R33 GTR. Very good prices too.

Dan

Sam_M

I have to agree with the posts who say around 300bhp they are reliable. I run about 300bhp with just normal mods 1.1bar and still have a TMIC (ARC tho), and its my everyday car too, apart from the normal wear and tear (and unlucky in buying a recon box which was badly rebuilt) Its been fantastic to me. If you have mechanical sympathy and maintain the car and not drive it like a dick everywhere, it`ll probably go on forever. I absolutely love mine, still feels strong and solid to drive, goes like a rocket and I have no plans to get rid of it. I spend alot of time driving on the twisites and with the weather we have, the 4wd is like a dream. Fantastic car