New... and new to GTiR's...

D

Darren-gtir

Thought Id be best signing up, as have hopefully secured my first GTiR but have no idea about them TBH.

Have had turbo'd vauxhalls for the passed year but got offered a p/x tonight for a 300bhp GTiR and highly tempted.

Insurance company arent too happy about this change tho :doh:

So... whats likely to break first ;-)

Radleigh

Darren-gtir said:
Thought Id be best signing up, as have hopefully secured my first GTiR but have no idea about them TBH.

Have had turbo'd vauxhalls for the passed year but got offered a p/x tonight for a 300bhp GTiR and highly tempted.

Insurance company arent too happy about this change tho :doh:

So... whats likely to break first ;-)

welcome to the site..

Gearboxes if abused, knock sensors... and the usual other wear and tear bits with modded performace cars.

Pulsars are fun, but not the sort of car if you haven't got the money :) Like me, Mines off the road as I left my job and the job I walked into had been put back :doh: :lol: It'll be back soon, and better than before :)

Good luck if you buy it :thumbsup:

For insurance, try Adrian Flux, I was 23 when I got mine and it cost me £762 TPFT , 3 NCB.

I'm sure others wil add to this ;-)

In my opinion after owning many cars fro highly tuned R33 GTR's, 2 x Pulsars, GT4's and Evo's as well as Honda DC2 Integra's I would recommend doing your research before getting any car especially a Pulsar.

No disrespect but they are fooking old now and veyr dated and will cause you a lot more hastle than you may think and will cost a lot mor eto replace parts on and repair than your previous cars by the sounds of it. I found them ok to live with and would have any repairs made within a week of going wrong time depending but if you dont have the cash dont get one as they are by a long shot not the most expensive for parts or repairas but they do tend to break regularly.

Water pumps, bearings, gearbox, clutches are the normal things but they also now will suffer a lot more things due to their ages.

There are not many un-abused ones about that I have seen and I know a few for sale personally off of here that are owned by people in the shows of someone's previous notes.

Anyone can buy a car but buying a car is not owning it, to own it you need to be able to buy, repair, run and keep the car going, the ones I know of have had engine probs for over 2 yrs and not been on the road and the owners cant afford to get them on the road so these are sitting deteriorating and dieing due to people wanting but not affording them.

Do a lot of research and make sure its what you want beofre you do the deal, dont just do it because you want a claimed 300bhp 4wd jap hatchback.

steven_c

as carl said i would do the research on these cars first its not a vauxhall which you can find any part down at your local scrap yard that cost alot to repair and if you take to the garage labour charges + alot of garages dont have a clue how to look after these cars..

Alot of people if not everyone on this site looks after there own car and does work themselves,

After again owing alot of cars this one of the funest to drive but worst when it comes to problems, i use mine as a everyday car and my skyline r33 gtr as a weekend summer car as i car'nt afford running that everyday of the week,

All been well mate you will understand the easy way or hard way.... but either way good luck and welcome :)

snoon said:
Agreed - think about it first. I have spent thousands on my R now.
A lot of it regretfully I bet (like mine was) :-(

My first R was a nice 325bhp usable everyday car, the second tuned to 400bhp and was pants for road, set mainly for track and I hated it on the road, waste of money.

Then again can say the same for my 2 R33 GTR's, the first stock apart from filter, exhaust and that was it, nice for road the second 562whp on 1.25 bar boost capable of over 620whp on high boost and was nasty on the road, an animal but useless as was too fast for general use and cost a fortune to run :-(

GTI-R's are the same, money pits, IMO and experience there are a lot better cars for the money available that will cost a lot less to run, insure and maintain but slightly more to buy (but as a whole would be cheaper to have).

D

Darren-gtir

Thanks for the replys... the gtir I could be getting is rr'd at 301bhp, had a rebuild gearbox, 4 paddle clutch and over 15k of invoices!!!

but am only 19 and insurace is proving hard, although ive previously had turbo'd vauxhalls etc insured fine.

R

riske

Mate i'm 21 and insurance is proving hard for me! i don't know how some people on here are managing to pick out policies for less than £2000. I'm currently paying £2039 with flux. They now want an extra £1062 cos they can't get my no claims bonus confirmed by my previous insurer. Even still i'm being ripped off!

Good luck mate. i doubt you should get into the world of R just yet because it is expensive and time consuming. I love it.

you should give it until your at least 21 and your in a better position. Stay wit your vauxhalls atm.

paz

I would add that its not all doom and gloom, if you get a well looked after car they tend to be very reliable, however as mentioned many of them are old enough to legally drink alcohol now (rather than a copious amount of fuel :lol: ) and consumables such as bushes, pumps, seals and lines etc do go wrong quite regularly.

At 19, unless you're minted, I probably wouldn't bother. Enjoy your LET's etc while they're still cheap and fun for you to run.

Cheers

Paz

R

riske

Yeah not all doom and gloom. they are fantastic cars...if you can afford them!

EVOBAD

just make sure you have receips for all the work as most people talk crap saying its had this & that as for insurance people who are paying 2k plus are off there heads:lol: :lol: :lol: i used to moan when i was paying 380quid:lol: :lol: :lol: they are dated but there isnt much on the road which would beat the pulsar but ul find 50% of the members on this forum have ther cars in pieces as there unreliable:thumbsup:

steven_c

i was lucky at the age of 19 my first r was on my own traders policy... but then took out my own at 21, and it was just over £1000 if i remember,

Got to have deep pockets mate, but for some reason i keep coming back to the r, i love working on them... i carnt stay away :)

rams_pulsar said:
so why buy an 'r' carlos?
I dont have one, have not had one for over 4 years mate.

I had my first one when I was 19 but that was in 1999 and things were very different to now for insurance, running (fuel etc), the cars were not so old so less likely to break and my uncle has his own garage so had access to tools, knowledge and everything needed.

When they are working they are great fun cars but once something goes get ready for a lot of things when they are this old IMO of course as an ex owner who no longer owns one.

Last edited:
D

Darren-gtir

Its interesting see some of these comments.. and its not the normal replys "yeah just sell it and buy the gtir" its good to see some people telling me to think it through.

as I managed to get insurance but at £214 per month, with deposit its close to 3 grand.. now I dont mind paying 214 a month as i can easy afford it but dont think i fancy the problems?

I basically got offered a straight swap for my 2003 astra gsi turbo for a 301bhp gtir and when he took me out in it was impressed but also went through my mind 'its to fast for me' and id end up killing it or myself.. lets be honest, am still a young driver.

maybe best to give swapping a miss, although the gtir is stunning :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

at 2k+ for insurance i would say give it a miss matey!
i reckon people are being a little pessimistic about the reliability probs though and painting a bad picture of the car!

circa 300bhp you will have a fairly reliable car if you dont drive it like a c0ck, its once you start heading upwards of 360bhp is when the probs start!
simple really, 'the more power you run the more unreliable the car will be' and the more money it will cost you to keep otr.
imo these engines arent designed to sustain high hp for any given lenghs of time, neither are the gearboxes.
if you want a reliable car then look for one with no or very few mods and leave it as that, you will then have a good reliable fast car.

karting

Darren-gtir said:
Its interesting see some of these comments.. and its not the normal replys "yeah just sell it and buy the gtir" its good to see some people telling me to think it through.

as I managed to get insurance but at £214 per month, with deposit its close to 3 grand.. now I dont mind paying 214 a month as i can easy afford it but dont think i fancy the problems?

I basically got offered a straight swap for my 2003 astra gsi turbo for a 301bhp gtir and when he took me out in it was impressed but also went through my mind 'its to fast for me' and id end up killing it or myself.. lets be honest, am still a young driver.

maybe best to give swapping a miss, although the gtir is stunning :-D
now thats a good reply if ive ever heard one from a young lad. Thinking about saftey before speed. Personally if i wasnt a race driver i wouldnt get one at my age (21) id wait till i was atleast 23-25 purly because of the sheer power

I must have got a good one. I have owned it for 4 years and only had to replace the clutch, along with a few bits on MOT day including a steering boot and tyres. All in all i have had 4 years of fantastic Pulsar fun, the only big drain on my wallet is how much fuel it drinks but it's worth it for the smile.