mongoose exhaust with 5 inch tail pipe too loud

S

Stoned

Is it me or is a 'plug' for your free flowing exhaust a bad idea!

Any trade off in volume comes at the price of performance, no matter how little

N

Norfy

im runnin a mongoose cat back with a de-cat and a jasma downpipe, the noise is incredibly loud but sounds wicked.

ive just got a 5" rear tailpipe silencer out of another backbox (blitz NUR of an evo i think) and bolted that up its arse.
reduced the sound to a slightly dulled version of before, but i can live with it now.
can just take it out when i wanna scare the neighbours as well :twisted:

A

andy n

Stoned said:
Is it me or is a 'plug' for your free flowing exhaust a bad idea!

Any trade off in volume comes at the price of performance, no matter how little
well it does knock the edge off it a bit but for droning down the motorway its better than the huge noise. the point is i only put it in if i'm going over about 100 miles.

B

Boxster Basher

Had a full Mongoose myself. Yup it was loud but the noise cancelled out the whining from the wife. Unfortunately she eventually managed to get louder than the zorst by nagging on about how loud it was.

So I took it into my local stainless fabricators. Built a system mid-back with a couple of small silencers. Very little difference. Took it back and told them. They fannyed about with it a little but to no avail. Took it to another local with a very good name for itself, but expensive, namely 'RMS' in Prestwick. They even build there own boxes, not off-the-shelf.

Anyway, they could only see one solution. The infamous 'transverse backbox' as when it came from the factory.

Conclusion: Silent zorst, not noticable difference on power, easier to the old anvils.

S

smcnairn

just fittet my 5" mongoose de cat i agree is a little loud but the improvement in power is well worth it! just wondering i didnt recieve any gaskets for my de cat box. should i have??

boucherie

ive also got a 5" 'goose, have you considered putting some extra foam padding under the boot carpet and rear seats, this will reduce the exhaust and road noise, by a small amount, which might be enough to save your ears, and the main benefit is no lose in power!