MAF Upgrade - Blow through or Draw through

Dan_GTiR

I am going to use a Z32 MAF in blow through Steve.

I was speaking to Tony over on Modifiers a while ago, he used a standard MAF in blow through, and I told him that I was going to do it with a Z32, he told me that I should go for it, as he had good results, even though he was still using standard MAF.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/danstorey/IMAG0086.jpg

The link, is the billet aluminium Z32 flange I machined at my old job, that will be welded into the intercooler pipe, for the blow through setup.

I think there is a few people on SR20Forum using the Z32 MAF in blow through, I'm sure if you do a search you'll be able to find something on there.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Dan_GTiR said:
I am going to use a Z32 MAF in blow through Steve.

I was speaking to Tony over on Modifiers a while ago, he used a standard MAF in blow through, and I told him that I was going to do it with a Z32, he told me that I should go for it, as he had good results, even though he was still using standard MAF.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/danstorey/IMAG0086.jpg

The link, is the billet aluminium Z32 flange I machined at my old job, that will be welded into the intercooler pipe, for the blow through setup.

I think there is a few people on SR20Forum using the Z32 MAF in blow through, I'm sure if you do a search you'll be able to find something on there.

Hope this helps.

Dan.
From that pic, I take it your still using 2.5" intercooler pipework. I was going to convert all the pipework after the cooler and up to the plenum into 3" and chop the end of the plenum off and convert that to 3" as well.

Steve

LOU ROB

On the negative side, if turbo problems occur e.g oil seals, or any crap that goes through the intake for that matter, you will end up with a fooked maf all the time.

Dan_GTiR

stevepudney said:
From that pic, I take it your still using 2.5" intercooler pipework. I was going to convert all the pipework after the cooler and up to the plenum into 3" and chop the end of the plenum off and convert that to 3" as well.

Steve
IMO you don't need 3" IC pipes. unless you're running silly amounts of boost.

2.5" should be fine for nearly everybodies needs, and it means you don't need to change the end of the plenum.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I read an article from a group in Australia that carried out a test with 2 vertually indentical Pulsars, with the same mods, boost and power. They changed the cooler pipework from 2.5" to 3" on the outlet side of the cooler, through to the modded 3" inlet on the plenum. Apparently when running enough boost it made a considerable increase to spool, torque and power. I thought I'd give it a go + I just want it to match the 3" MAF.

Dan_GTiR

I see what you are saying Steve, but is it really worth the hassle of stripping the plenum off to modify it to a 3" inlet?

What sort of boost are you running?

Like I said, I think 2.5" is quite ample for the most of us. I think Lou Rob is still running 2.5" and with very good results, so unless you have access to ali welding equipment and the resources, I woulod just make a MAF adapter like I did and keep it 2.5"

Dan.

A

AJ4

If I could fit 4 inch pipes in I would but I'm a bit strapped for space now :( and there are plenty of people around with even bigger pipes than me ;)

Steve, 3'' is good, I think you'd struggle a little bit with 2.5''. I know everyone says Lou Rob only has 2.5'' pipes, but you can't help thinking if he had 3'' pipes how much more power he could get ? Just because you make power with 2.5'' doesn't mean you wont make more power with 3'' ;)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I agree, 3" pipework on the cool side of the cooler only will be fine, it's the blow though MAF I'm still not sure about.

The problem I have at the moment is my idle. It's fine if the car has been stationary for a 10 seconds or so or from a fresh start but if normal driving and I pull up at traffic lights or something my idle doesn't settle until the turbo has spooled down slightly (about 10 -15 sec's). I think this is due to my 3" turbo inlet pipe being so short and the still spooling turbo causing turbulence in the inlet pipe, which messes with the air flow meters readings.

So the though was that if I go to a blow through system, and use 3" pipe, which should help keep the idle air speed down, it could solve my unstable idle.

If it doesn't cure the idle problem, it might prove to be more efficient and produce a little more power, throttle response or economy.

If the blow through system doesn't have any advantages or is a problem I will just return to draw through and keep the 3" pipe work.

A

AJ4

The only thing I'd be worried about is using a designed for draw through MAF as a blow through. Its designed to work in vacuum, its not designed to work under pressure, how do you know its not going to blow apart ? :lol: I think I'd use one specifically designed for blow through.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
D-Fens said:
The only thing I'd be worried about is using a designed for draw through MAF as a blow through. Its designed to work in vacuum, its not designed to work under pressure, how do you know its not going to blow apart ? :lol: I think I'd use one specifically designed for blow through.
Is there such a thing ?

I can't see that pressure molded plastic is going to explode/disintegrate just under 2 bar of pressure.

I think I'll just keep one of the meshes on the MAF and keep my fingers crossed.

A

AJ4

possibly... depends really on whether there are any holes going into the electronics unit where the sensor goes in, and whether there are any air gaps under the potting. You'll soon find out :lol:

A

AJ4

Damn you to hell, Pudney ! Got me thinking about this as well now... Been doing a bit of reading and it definately looks the right way to go.

Besides, I'm making my own plenum / throttle plate / intake run from scratch and it would be just as easy to put it after the charger than before, infact, it would free up more room. Then I can put the throttle before the charger as I had intended.. aagghhh !! can't decide now :D