MAF Upgrade - Blow through or Draw through

J

jpward

I read about this recently and cant find the article but it was stating that it was better due to being as close to the intake chamber as possible and it would pick up any differences in air density that the turbo would produce but as far as i can see the amount before and after turbo should be the same volume but how would a hot wire read at + pressure AJ? :?

P

powerfreack

one reson for it is when you change gear with a dump valve on you over fuel

if you mount it on the intercooler pipe it solves this problem of over fueling and gives you a better pedeal response

if i get some time today i shall take a photo of myn if you wish but it has been done before on a gtir as i got the idea from someone else

J

jpward

powerfreack said:
one reson for it is when you change gear with a dump valve on you over fuel

if you mount it on the intercooler pipe it solves this problem of over fueling and gives you a better pedeal response

if i get some time today i shall take a photo of myn if you wish
Do you have a waste gate or DV on cos the DV would be after the MAF as its off the plenium? :?

Dan_GTiR

I'm in the middle of going over to blow through setup.

The main advantages of doing this is that you will get better throttle reponse, also if you blow of a coupling on your intercooler pipes, you can still drive the car home, and not be stuck at the side of the road waiting for the AA man to come and rescue you.

There is a lot of info on SR20Forum. Just search on there and you will find what you are looking for.

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1442&PN=3

Have a look at that link, Tony from Modifier's has gone blow through with his GTiR swapped N14 GTi. You could always ask him the question.

Dan :)

J

jpward

stumo said:
I love his use of cable ties.:der:
Well spotted i never noticed :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'd have thought he would have at least trimmed the tails :roll:

T

tro||

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jpward

tro|| said:
you would think that wouldn't you, after all, he owned a better gtir than you 2 legends do and he managed to build a very nice fwd gtir conversion that neither of you to have done so obviously you'd think his technical abilities would stretch to cutting off a cable tie, shame on him for not doing so, especially on the ever so important area of a catch tank hose..

mongs...lol
I wouldnt call held together with rip ties better :roll:

Dooie Pop Pop

by the looks of Steve's thumbnail his exh/comp housings poke through the bonnet! how cool would that look lol.

JP: id have thought if it could work normally at a vacuum of the same level it would/should in theory be fine working with pressure??

looks like there' s no power steering either and maybe no brakes looking at where his master cylinder WAS:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: the plenum looks kinda blunt too:-D

Last edited:

ohc_turbo

nice idea but wouldnt this setup make the car run lean a bit as the air would be hotter nearer the tb than before the turbo and the afm would get pretty hot in traffic aswell

On the other hand the air rushing passed the hot wire might be enough?

Dan_GTiR

Putting the MAF in blow through style will not make your car run lean. The ECU is still measuring the airflow, albeit boosted air, the ECU compensates for this and adjusts accordingly.

This has been tried and proved by a lot over on SR20Forum, and also some Japanese tuning companies do this setup too.

There is a lot of info on SR20Forum about this setup. Just do a search over there.

Dan :)

ohc_turbo

i'd say its best to keep it to the temperature of normal air before its compressed,the air flow meter would suffer too many temperature changes plus it would see temps its prob never seen before including desert temperatures

its ok for JUN or HKS to setup there cars to run like this but a car thas going to be stuck in traffic jams and such like getting the occasional footdown i can see some side effects.

J

jpward

boucherie said:
seems a simple enough way of curing the overfuelling on gear changes with an atmospheric dv
How would it with the DV being "After" the Maf in both cases? and therefore nothing changes!

Dan_GTiR

ohc_turbo said:
i'd say its best to keep it to the temperature of normal air before its compressed,the air flow meter would suffer too many temperature changes plus it would see temps its prob never seen before including desert temperatures

its ok for JUN or HKS to setup there cars to run like this but a car thas going to be stuck in traffic jams and such like getting the occasional footdown i can see some side effects.

The MAF does not measure the temperature of the air. It only measures airflow. So it is never going to see desert temperatures ;)

jpward said:
How would it with the DV being "After" the Maf in both cases? and therefore nothing changes!
You just blank off the original DV hose and place your DV before the MAF in the intercooler pipe. This allows you to run an atmospheric DV without the overfuelling issues.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Is there actually an advantage to running an atmospheric DV system (apart from the bloody stupid noise)

ChrisS

stevepudney said:
Is there actually an advantage to running an atmospheric DV system (apart from the bloody stupid noise)
No. You actually get better response with a recirc valve.

J

jpward

ChrisS said:
No. You actually get better response with a recirc valve.
Would it make any odd's its re-circ warm air back into system? :?

ChrisS

jpward said:
Would it make any odd's its re-circ warm air back into system? :?
If i remember rightly it recircs it back before the turbo so its not going to make any difference how warm it is as its going to get alot hotter when it reaches the turbo again. Obviously the dump valve releases pressure to prevent compresor stall, the benefit is that instead of the air just releasing to atmosphere, the air going back in toward the turbo will help it to spool back up quicker.
Thats the way i understood it anyway.