is the mongoose that good?

mattygti-r

right bit pi%%ed off to behonest

nearly everyone on this forum runs the mongoose, system and their "lifetime gaurantee"

:roll:

well when i got the car 18months ago, it had a mongoose on 3" system,

was on the car for about 1yr tops

then the center section fails, so i contacted mongoose basically they said fck off, you didnt buy it , hence gaurantee dont work liek that

so i paid £200 ish for a new center section

now going to one bar the front blows :roll: ffs

thought these exhuats were susposed to last

any ideas how much a new front pipe is ? :roll: :roll:

ashills

just get a new flex put in it mate 50-60 quid probably or get it remove and a knuckle joint put in

mattygti-r

ashills said:
just get a new flex put in it mate 50-60 quid probably or get it remove and a knuckle joint put in
need to confirm tomororw whast going on with this exhuast

its really "raspy" at the front only happend after upped the boost :lol:

is that quote for a normal mongoose one?

geetee

what do you mean the front has "blown" ??

do you mean rusted internally and the extra pressure and backfiring has blown a hole in it?

I've heard the Mongoose guarantees aren't worth the scrap of paper they are written on.

A piece of paper that says 'Lifetime Guarantee'. But is doesn't say what lifetime. Push them and eventually they will probably come out with some rubbish about being guaranteed for the lifetime of the exhaust (not the car) - and push them again about expected lifetime of one of their exhaust, you'll probably get some rubbish about depends how you drive mate. Lots of short, slow trips will lead to lots of condensation and acidic crap in the pipe (particularly with the cat still fitted).

As you have found they aren't transferable ownerwise either (can't see why not if it's a great product - not much you can do to fook up an exhaust).

They are supposed to be top quality stainless steel, which theoretically shouldn't rust. But then all stainless steel has some impurity in it that will start the oxidisation process - combine that with the silly front pipe temps and some moisture.

I like the goose for the noise and the pops, bangs and flames but I'm not expecting it to last forever. I may look for something a bit less noisy when the goose goes as I'm doing about 500 miles a week now, mostly on the M1. I've got permanent ringing in my ears from having to crank the stereo up to drown out the drone from the pipe.

Try pricing up a standard full exhaust system then compare it's price and longevity to the goose :?

TBH I don't know what the alternatives are, or how they perform.

Maybe the 'Club' should approach the major manufacturers of pipes for the R and suggest a shoot out on a rolling road. Same car, same day - chop and change the exhaust and see which releases the most horses. But then you get into the - 'well the car needs to be setup right for the pipe' discussion.

Dunno how much a front section would cost, but there must be someone on here has one lying unwanted in a corner (is it the bit from the turbo with the flexi braided shite in it?). Stick a post up in Buy and Sell I guess.

Have I rambled enough?? :shock:

I think Stella has possessed my soul again :(

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

MarkTurbo

Mines 2 years old now and all the flanges are rusting :roll:

But what do you expect for a £300 odd quid system :lol: It seems pretty good for power gains etc but it could be made better :(

Does anyone elses frontpipe run rather close to the underside of the car in the section between the flexi bit and where it meets the de cat pipe :?:

mattygti-r

gee yeah i think its the flexi part thats blow ie there is a hole in it

i expect a mongoose system to last longer than 20,000 miles

:cry:

and mark , mine does that too

geetee

TBH they seem pretty piss poor build wise in terms of fitment and material.

But they are relatively cheap and they give the desired effect, more horse, more noise and little flames on the overrun.

I guess you pay for what you get.

I've seen a few threads about people having pipes custom made to fit. Probably cost you more, but you should be able to specify dogs gonads materials and have it fit precisely, and have whatever design of exit pipe you like (how about four 5 inchers exiting below the number plate? :roll: )

Matty, you ought to know better than to have a cheap n easy option with this car by now :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

mattygti-r

geetee said:
TBH they seem pretty naughty poor build wise in terms of fitment and material.

But they are relatively cheap and they give the desired effect, more horse, more noise and little flames on the overrun.

I guess you pay for what you get.

I've seen a few threads about people having pipes custom made to fit. Probably cost you more, but you should be able to specify dogs gonads materials and have it fit precisely, and have whatever design of exit pipe you like (how about four 5 inchers exiting below the number plate? :roll: )

Matty, you ought to know better than to have a cheap n easy option with this car by now :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
Yeah tell me about it lol..

i will call blueflame aka mongoose tomororw see what kinda price they do a new flexi bit for,

after stu has confirmed its that, 8)

i hope tis not mega £s :(

geetee

get some of that self annealing exhaust bandage shite and wrap it up

job done for about a fiver 8)

Cheers
GeeTee

O

Odin

With the way the goose is lasting they might as well made them out of mild steel as there 5hite :evil: , Mine's all rusty and the front section is falling apart already :cry: .

rob

J

John Mc

I think you're going to shock when you ask how much just the front section is mate :cry: I think it's close to £200 could be wrong though :lol: How about a HKS front pipe :?: Thought they were quite cheap?

Cheers

John

ashills

u sure its not the usual turbo gasket thats blown on teh elbow or anything as they are known to blow alot aswell

J

John Mc

My front pipe has gone at the flexible joint too, but it's only standard :oops: I've had the gasket go too and changed the gasket then the flexible joint went :evil: But to be fair it's probably been on there since the car was new!

mattygti-r

goign to have a look at this today, to confirm

all i can hear is a raspy type blowy noise from the drivers side on boost

pete-r

i used to get that noise matty ,it turned out there was some type of metal plating around my downpipe which had rusted loose and was tapping off the exhaust.but i got the downpipe replaced anyway.get a 5zigen from checkerflag :wink: deffo worth the extra cash!you know you want to!

mattygti-r

how much is that exhuast?

mongoose is 270

its blowing on tick over too, defo dont sound right :cry: :cry:

hope its not gasgets etc, only happend after took it to 1bar :cry:

oh pete think your turbo is sold :wink:

J

John Mc

Matty just get under the car and have a feel you'll soon know if it's blowing from the flexi joint :D Or don't you want to get your hands dirty :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mattygti-r

John Mc said:
Matty just get under the car and have a feel you'll soon know if it's blowing from the flexi joint :D Or don't you want to get your hands dirty :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: