Intercooler Pipework Getting Hot

Mr GTiR

I've got the Phoneix Power SPL front mount and the incooler pipe for the turbo goes the opposit way to most common front mount conversions, so no worry of heat soak. I always wounder why it was designed that way, now i now. The only down side is that the pipe work is a little longer than your 'averge' pipe run :shock:

Dooie Pop Pop

Mr GTiR said:
I've got the Phoneix Power SPL front mount and the incooler pipe for the turbo goes the opposit way to most common front mount conversions, so no worry of heat soak. I always wounder why it was designed that way, now i now. The only down side is that the pipe work is a little longer than your 'averge' pipe run :shock:
gotcha :wink:

thats one nice car you have there andy :p but i still think your piperun will will absorb radiated heat though :? maybe a bit less on the turbo outlet which is nice 8) i still think wrapping the ic outlet is a good idea.

am toying with the idea of lagging and wrapping the manifold shield so that air gets to the manifold but radiated heat is minimalised (sp?)

Nad

I would love the air going into the plenum to be 2degrees but it isnt going to be.

Skid, not sure how I am doing mine now as I only read about this affect on sun nite while at work.

Basically with rough figures, inlet air 20degrees, out of turbo 120degrees, 70% efficient IC down to about approx 30 degrees, then the recirc sends this blast of hot air back into the inlet slowly increasing the inlet temps every time u let off the throttle.

I've learnt more stuff this weekend than I have for a few months (had time to sit down and read) and will post it up when I have time.

The bloke this info came from has been tuning rally and race cars for over 20yrs inc the R before and is well know worldwide b4 anyone doubts what I am saying.

Ta

Nad

Keira

Nad said:
I would love the air going into the plenum to be 2degrees but it isnt going to be.
i've been waiting for that, i knew someone would be dumb enough to quote it... :wink: :roll: that was an example, and they're the first numbers i thought of...

why dont you get a tiny little intercooler for your recirc :wink: :lol: :lol:

if anyones that worried about something that probably isn't even going to be noticeble just dont run a dumpvalve at all, oopsy, nearly forgot, cant do that, oh no, it'll f e c k the turbo :roll: :lol: :lol:

you could always go blow through maf and run atmos dumpvalve 8)

skiddusmarkus

kieron said:
skiddusmarkus said:
It gets recirced before the compressor into the inlet
i never would've guessed :roll: :wink:

what i'm saying is the air from the re-circ is going to have absolutely no affect on the temp of air leaving the turbo as the compressor housing which it has to pass through will already be far hotter :wink:

I never would have guessed either :roll: :wink: .

What I'm saying is that the hotter air from the recirc is mixing with the cooler air from the filter in the inlet so will have an effect on the temperature pre compressor and so therefore post compressor,even if it is minor.

Keira

well im still going to disagree :p

think about it, you have a slight temp change from the dumpvalve once every however many seconds, this is then blasted constantly with the colder air being drawn in through the filter until it dumps again. The air drawn through the filter which as a mass, measured in say a 10min period will be far, far greater then the amount dumped by the recirc and i would've thought it will absorb any heat energy from the recirc almost instantly.

i suppose in constant on/off throttle conditions the recirc will have more of an effect on intake temps but still dont think its anything to get excited about :wink:

Nad

kieron said:
i suppose in constant on/off throttle conditions the recirc will have more of an effect on intake temps but still dont think its anything to get excited about :wink:
I didnt say it was going to make a big difference, just thought I would make the point about it known.

Nad