Intercooler Pipework Getting Hot

skiddusmarkus

What have people used to keep the heat from the engine bay(especially the manifold)from soaking into the piping if their front mounts?
I've seen Memskis pics with exhaust wrap but it does look a bit poo if effective.I've got some very thin alluminiumised heat wrap that's in sheets but I don't think it's really suitable for big stuff,more like protecting wires from heat.I've also though of using the stuff you put behind radiators which is bubble wrap on one side and foil on the other but this wouldn't be suitable for near the manifold as it would melt.

Keira

why dont you use the ugly stuff memski style then use the aluminium to cover it ??

or spin the compressor housing and re-route piperun so you dont go over the exhaust manifold 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't used anything. I'm in 2 minds about it.

The outlet from the turbo is going to be vey hot anyway (depending on what boost you're running) so the natural airflow through the front grill could help cool it abit

Or

You lag it and it keeps the heat from the manifold away, but you now have no airflow blowing onto the pipe to cool it. :?

Or (make that 3 minds)

You lag the exhaust manifold and turbo and cut down the radiated heat, and keep the airflow to the pipe as well, sounds best but will it work as good?

I did lag the manifold and turbo on my last car and it did cut down on the radiated heat quitte abit and yes before anyone says, my wastegate housing did crack, but I put that down to me and the incar boost adjuster :wink:

JU5TY

Ive had my manifold ceramic coated which should help. Could always get the intercooler pipes ceramic coated as well.

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
I haven't used anything. I'm in 2 minds about it.

The outlet from the turbo is going to be vey hot anyway (depending on what boost you're running) so the natural airflow through the front grill could help cool it abit

You lag it and it keeps the heat from the manifold away, but you now have no airflow blowing onto the pipe to cool it. :?

You lag the exhaust manifold and turbo and cut down the radiated heat, and keep the airflow to the pipe as well, sounds best but will it work as good?
im gonna leave the turbo outlet to ic pipe for the reasons you' ve described fastguy, im just gonna lag the exhaust side of the turbo, the exhaust and i intend to cover the ic outlet pipe with exhaust wrap and aluminium sheet. left the car ticking over for a while with the bonnet shut and noticed that the outlet pipe was well hot. dont care what it looks like :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Carl-the mani/elbow/downpipe are already lagged anf the turbine housing has a heat blanket on it.
I think the lagging and foil idea is a good one.I might try it with the type you can get from DIY places that's for water pipes as it's a lot cheaper than exhaust wrap and won't be on display if covered up.

Nad

If ur only gonna use something reflective, just polish them up. Use a turbo lag kit, and lag manifold and downpipe, or heatshield. Foil will do no more than a polished pipe, will need insulating but which pipes are getting hot??

Also ur using a recirc arent u, what about all the hot air ur pumping back into the turbo :wink: No point keeping the heat out if its already hot inside.

Nad

M

memski

Well worth wrapping imho, lost the manifold heatshield so i wrapped that too but it's a pain when trying to do/undo the nuts :lol: :oops:

If the intercooler pipe runs over the manifold then its a good idea to wrap so the boosted air isn't getting any hotter than it has to be, thus the intercooler won't have to work as hard 8) Even more important to wrap the pipes post intercooler in the engine bay as this defeats the purpose of having a fmic if the air is heated up again :roll:

Looks shit I know, but every little bit helps. Couldn't really test whether it made a difference or not (never got round to fitting inlet temp guages) but in theory it should.

skiddusmarkus

Nadly-are you reading what I'm typing?I've already said my mani/downpipe/wlbow are lagged :lol: .

I think I'll either use some heat wrap if I've got any left after lagging my new downpipe or the cheapo stuff from Wickes with foil stuff.

Dooie Pop Pop

skiddusmarkus said:
Nadly-are you reading what I'm typing?I've already said my mani/downpipe/wlbow are lagged :lol: .

I think I'll either use some heat wrap if I've got any left after lagging my new downpipe or the cheapo stuff from Wickes with foil stuff.
skiddus' s car is now sponsered by

BACOFOIL :lol:

O

Odin

Dooie Pop Pop said:
skiddus' s car is now sponsered by

BACOFOIL :lol:
Makes a change from builder's mate expanding foam :roll: :lol: :lol: .

rob

Nad

skiddusmarkus said:

I was talking generically, directed at anyone.

Did u read the bit about the recirc though :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Only messing mate.

It's not recirced yet but will be.So you're saying that the hotter air that's passed through the turbo&intercooler is then going to be piped back into the inlet,warming that up?It's only a brief blast but I suppose ultimately it will raise the temp of the air but has to be better than the overfuelling you get from having it VTA.Plus it should help keep the compressor spinning between gearchanges.How are you doing yours?

Keira

the compressor side of the turbo is going to be hotter than the air coming out of a recirc dumpvalve...i'm sure i vaguely remember something from my days at school of not paying attention in science that a hot temperature will not increase a hotter temperature i.e

2 degrees blowing into something thats at 28 degrees will not create 30 degrees. it will remain 28 degrees something like that anyway

skiddusmarkus

It gets recirced before the compressor into the inlet,heating up the air entering it.I can't see it making much difference though really.

Keira

skiddusmarkus said:
It gets recirced before the compressor into the inlet
i never would've guessed :roll: :wink:

what i'm saying is the air from the re-circ is going to have absolutely no affect on the temp of air leaving the turbo as the compressor housing which it has to pass through will already be far hotter :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

kieron said:
thats what i'm saying, the air from the re-circ is going to have absolutely no affect on the temp of air leaving the turbo as the compressor housing will already be far hotter :wink:
and seeing as the dump pipes so near the plenum and after the ic it should be pretty cool anyway 8)