Idle

gtirneil

Yesterday was the 1st time ever i have driven my pulsar after it being stood for 5 months. When i first started it up it ran like a sack of sh1t so i took the plugs out and cleaned them, it seemed to run better after that. After 25 miles of driving i stopped and it started running rough again, so i went to halfrauds and got some pugs, but could ounly get ones for a 200sx which seem to work the only thing is it is idleing at 1400-1500rpm, anyone know whats up?

antgtir

Is the car popping i.e. is it overfuelling??

If so is the choke stuck on??

Try resetting the ecu, it may just help you never know. Mine was idleing high at times, i took the bov off and its back to norm now :? maybe a vaccum leak??

Ant.

gtirneil

pops like a bitch matey, wher is the choke on them? i dont have a manual so dont know :oops:

How do i reset the ECU? stupid question but my punto had a self learning ECU so when you wanted to reset it you took the battery off and it resets itself, but then you have to drive it so the ECU knows how your car is working (does that make sense), is the pulsar anything like that? and will the fact that when i 1st put the battry back on the car was running a bit crap?

C

Crazy

Try topping it up with some fresh fuel mate as Optimax does not like being in the petrol tank for too long, IIRC :wink:

Then make sure you have no water in your plug holes and try and locate the correct plugs and then give it a try :)

And yes mate just disconnect the battery for a while and it will reset the ECU :!:

paz

How long does it idle at 1500 for? Takes a while for the engine to settle down to normal idle, and if your only running it for 5 mins at a time it might never do that.

Paz

gtirneil

paz said:
How long does it idle at 1500 for? Takes a while for the engine to settle down to normal idle, and if your only running it for 5 mins at a time it might never do that.

Paz
I waas driving last nigt for about an hour it did drop to 1300rpm after a few seconds, so if i leave it for a few minutes should it drop down.

If your out and about anytime and you see me will you have a quick look :cry:

paz

It should come down, but I wouldn't worry too much, some R's on here that I've read about have contentedly idled and 1500 for a while.

Without being overly able in the engine bay, isn't there an idle adjust valve?

Paz

gtirneil

Apparently so but i have no idea of wher e that is, it used to be ok, might just get hiteq to look at it
:(

antgtir

Have you had the engine out?? If so are all the vaccum pipes on tight etc? May just be something as simple as tightening one of your vaccum pipes. :?

I must admit my first R used to idle alot higher than my current R and that seemed to run great, just ate fuel at a much quicker rate lol :roll: :lol:

Id go over everything you've done since it ran normal and try and trace from that, the odds are is its something you've touched.

Ant.

gtirneil

engines not bin out but ive had the intercooler off 4 times and changed plugs 3 times ill have a check ina bit cheers :wink:

antgtir

I know its not cheap but i'd recommend changing the plugs for the correct ones, the leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap, did wonders for my car after a bit of a stutter, feels better than ever :D :D

Goodluck,

Ant.

A

AJ4

From looking at the back of the engine, there are at least 4 different things that control the idle speed. If any one of them is knacked or out of tolerance then it can idle fast.

In each throttle runner there is an adjustment screw used to balance the throttle bodies at idle, if all of these screws are wound out then it will idle fast.

There is also a fast idle controller on the back of the block, like an automatic choke thats supposed to turn off after a few mins once the car is warm, if this sticks it can cause fast idle.

In the actual idle control module, there are two different solenoid type units that can stick and cause fast idle. And there is the actual idle control screw which could be wound out too far.

On top of that, add about 20 different air pipes and joins that could be leaking, and its a bloody miracle if any pulsars at all actually idle properly :D

antgtir

AJ4 said:
On top of that, add about 20 different air pipes and joins that could be leaking, and its a bloody miracle if any pulsars at all actually idle properly :D
lmao, mine does :wink: :lol: Sounds like he hasn't touched anything recently so id go for the choke or something that is prone for sticking etc, your right how does the Pulsar go lmao :lol: :lol:

A

AJ4

Did I mention the TPS and base Ingition advance can also cause idle problems as well ? :D:D:D

A

AJ4

...or the 4 vacuum pipes on the throttle runners used for balancing the throttle can have the little rubber seals missing or leaking... :D

gtirneil

antgtir said:
I know its not cheap but i'd recommend changing the plugs for the correct ones, the leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap, did wonders for my car after a bit of a stutter, feels better than ever :D :D

Goodluck,

Ant.
I had the proper plugs in but i actually runs better now, might change all the above parts, where is a good place to get them from?

Im going to check all the pipes aswell so if i disturbed anything

antgtir

I got all my bits from Nissan mate:

Plugs = £12+vat X 4 = £56.40
Leads = £42.90+vat = £50.41
Dizzy Cap = £15.80+vat i think = £18.57
Rotor Arm = £6.60+vat i think = £7.76

Worth it mate mine runs like a dream now, am well chuffed, best quality parts ive seen in quite some time :D

Ant.