I want a GTiR ... is it faesable ??

J

jamiej

Heya,

Ok, basically, i am going to change my car in the very near future, i currently have an MR2 and i am considering getting a Pulsar, the performace figures of them alone blows me away and the look of the standard ones i think is pretty awesome.

So ... firstly, would a budget of £2500 cut it. There are a mixed bunch of them on Piston heads and autotrader but them prices vary loads.

What kind of example would you get for around the £2500 mark, can they be had for this. Ideally, i would like a totally standard one, with no add ons, i think in the wrong hands these would only last minutes!! there are loads with boost controllers on them but i kind of want to steer clear of all that without knowing any more about the car/engine. You can tell a lot from its life just by the "add ons" i think.

Can anyone give me any advice on this at all, whether i could get one worth having for that kind of money etc.

I am 20 but the insurnace wont be an issue, i am also a competent mechanic, so hopefully, the day to day maintainence should be all done by myself.

What are these like to own, it would be my only car but i wouldn't be doing any serious milage in it.

Any help much appreciated.
Many thanks
Jamie

:thumbsup:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
If you're on a £2500 budget then don't bother..

You get what you pay for..

Then there are the maintinence, service, repairs and insurance to add to your budget..

J

jamiej

Is it as simple as that then,

as i said, the insurnace is not an issue, but if i where to get one for £2500 then i would definately need to pump more money into it ??

The ones for £2500 are at that price for a reason then, thats not just the price of an inexpensive one. What would you pay for an inexpensive, standard one that has been properly maintained, Skyline money ?? 200SX money ??

Thanks

O

Odin

If you could find a good un-modded one then it would probably cost £5000 plus, You wont find many that haven't been modded in some manner or other.

The running and maintenance cost are pretty steep to keep one of these things in good condition.

Rob

J

jamiej

Just for some feedback

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/376834.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/380840.htm

Are these just going to end up not running and costing the earth to put right ??

There are 13 on their at the moment all around the £2500 mark, i know its not the best way to buy a new car (searching from price low to high) but needs must.

Are the running costs of these rediculous. I have owned a tuned Mk2 golf that would rarely get about 20 MPG, my current MR2 is slightly better, this is an import too but i have never had any problems with it and when things do go wrong (normally consumables) the parts are fairly easy to get hold of.

I just want to find out as much as i can about buying and owning these cars before i do so.

If £2500 for one is way to cheap, is about £5K the going rate for one worth owning, does anyone have any experience with buying an inexpensive one.

The engines are pretty solid from what i have read up, the SR20DET is good for about 280 on OEM internals, so surely, one with a conprehensive service history should go on for as long as any other turbochared 2 litre car ? Some on the websites have milages over 100k, would these have had engine rebuilds new boxes etc.

Again, thanks for your insight
Jamie

O

Odin

To be totally honest you may get lucky and pic up a very good car for little money, But and it's a big but you need to know what you're looking at, Buy a wrong en and you will pay through the nose to put it right.

But I have seen some quite nice cars of late that look very good buys, Just be careful what you buy. As the old saying goes "buyer beware".

Running costs can be steep, the Pulsar is a group 20 to insure and you will struggle to get much more than 200miles to a full tank if you actually boot the thing about.

My old close ratio box version only did 90 miles to a full tank lol, My current one can do up to 250 to a full tank on a long run.

Rob

J

jamiej

Thanks for that,
again though, what is little money, are we talking the £2.5k mark or is that still way below the money you need to spend.

Also, with regards with whast to look for, is the buying guide on this site pretty comprehensive, i guess you would learn the most from a test drive.

200 miles to a tank seems pretty standard to me, i seem to have a taste for thirsty cars, 90 seems madness !! althogh, i did manage 9 MPG on a santa pod trip in my Golf 1.8 N/A silly agressive cam though !!!.

O

Odin

jamiej said:
Thanks for that,
again though, what is little money, are we talking the £2.5k mark or is that still way below the money you need to spend.
I'm sure if you're careful you will find a good-en for around 2.5-3.5k.

Read the buying guide on here I couldn't tell what it's like as I've never read it lol :oops: , A lot of cheap pulsars can suffer with gearbox gremlins and rattly bottom ends, But if you know what you're doing I'm sure you will find a good motor.

Only checking them over yourself will give you the answers you require though matey, Just asking can I get a good car for 2.5k is just such a random question :doh: .

Rob

Matty B

i paid 2900 pounds for my pulsar. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty good. Rear arches had started to blister but other than that it was very nice. Completely standard too, ( that soon changed though ). There are good cars out there for under 3500 quid but don't just buy the first one you see, have a good look round untill you find one thats right. All the best in your search for a GTI-R.

J

jamiej

Cheers fellas, that a great amount of help. I'm gonna start the search in the late spring/summer as that is when i hope to sell my MR2 (think it will sell better in the sun) !!

I'll let you know how i get on.

Standard is where i want to start, rather know what has been done exactly rather than muddle through someone elses.

Its a shame that i havent got more money really but thats just gonna be how it is, i am going to have to be very careful not to buy a car just becuase its there in front of me and i have the cash in my pocket, i'll make sure it gets a good once over !!

Odin : I didnt mean to ask such an open ended question but i just wanted to know the faesability, the first post said prety much defiantely not, just wanted a more helpful opinion really. The question was, is it possible and/or worthwhile getting one on a bit of a budget, and it seems that it is, providing that i get the right one to start with.

Cheers for the comments fellas,
Hope to be a proper member soon !!!

one more thing, are theses at all "tail happy" ?? i wouldn't imagine so being 4WD but just thought i'd ask. Would be a welcome change from my current car !!!

O

Odin

jamiej said:
one more thing, are theses at all "tail happy" ?? i wouldn't imagine so being 4WD but just thought i'd ask. Would be a welcome change from my current car !!!

No not at all if driven with in the limits of the available grip, You can modify them to make them more tail happy though. They tend to suffer from under steer more than anything which can also be dialled out with the right mods.

Just remember no car no matter how well it handles in un-crashable as a lot of members have found out to their cost :doh: :cry: .

I love rear wheel drive myself ;-) .

Rob

Fire & skill

Vintage member
if you've got time on your hands you will get one for 2.5k :-D
but for an extra £500 you COULD get twice the car

you could always import one yourself? - not that there's many left :lol:

DanDud

I paid less than £2.5k for mine and it was a cracking buy! Needed shocks and the rear arches doing. So there are bargains out there, just beware as generally you do get what you pay for.

gtirtrack

hi mate u say u r a competant mechanic then i have just the thing for u. i have a pulsar which was an awsome machine with thousands of pounds of mods on it. i took all the mods off, and replaced with std parts. it is now a rolling shell and requires the following.
engine and gearbox
exhaust system
std ecu
rear arb
front brakes (u wanna uprate these anyway)
the shell is in really good condition, no rust which is rare. good black paint, mint interior. and a clifford alarm with remote start, window roll up, turbo timer built in worth loads on its own. the rear end is polybushed. it has mot and a log book, about 40pages of history. i only want £1300 ono. this gives u 1200 to find the bits u need and this gives u a project to do to.
i also have thousands of spares for pulsars so anything u need to get it running i can sell at real discounted prices as im trying to get rid of it all asap now.
i have a gearbox u can have for 200
i have a rear arb u can have for 10
that just leaves u to find a engine,ecu and exhaust.
engine u can pick up for around 700
exhaust for a mongoose or summin around 150
std ecu about 40.
so that means total cost would be around 2400, leaving another 100 quid or so to get any other little bits u need.
u will then have a decent pulsar for not a lot of money.
let me know if your intersted.
pm me

O

Odin

You forgot a £300 clutch off that little list old chap lol.

Would be a very good way to find out just what makes a pulsar tick I'm sure.

Rob

J

jamiej

Dan Dud : Thanks fella, prooves that they are to be had

gtirtrack : Sounds awesome buddy, but i would like to buy a working lot rather than biuld up one, cheers for the offer tho, if i had more time and money, then i would bite your arm off.

gtir_pimp : who is pulsar_boby, CAT C isnt too re assuring, fixed to be road worthy ... says who ??

davey red.r : Thats just not very friendly !! 5k ... think i may be tempted by a skyline , dare i say it !

gtir_pimp said:

Why do people always say its 'completely standard' in their adverts and the cars obviously not? That ones completely standard - except for the turbo timer, dump valve and 16" alloys! Mines completely standard aside from the long list of mods....