How much can a standard crank take...?

Keira

stugtir said:
If going for a ock solid engine would sleeving the block be necercery?
stu
on the big power 200sx's every single one i've seen is sleeved, im planning on doing mine just for the gas due to the higher cylinder pressures involved, would rather have overkill than f o o k the block under gas.

going back to the how strong the standard crank is i honestly reckon its going to out live the transmission :cry: , so not going to worry about it to much, hopefully the genius that is behind cunning plan...ie me :wink: :lol: has already worked out how to keep the transmission together with a few more cunning plans tucked up the sleeve :wink:

crank is the last of anyones worries tbh :(

completely agree with pete though, pointless going to a standard replacement billet crank, stroker is the way to go if you're going to bother

stugtir

kieron said:
stugtir said:
If going for a ock solid engine would sleeving the block be necercery?
stu

hopefully the genius that is behind cunning plan...ie me :wink: :lol: has already worked out how to keep the transmission together with a few more cunning plans tucked up the sleeve :wink:
So have i buy the PPG straight cut dog box!!! 8)

http://hioctaneracing.com.au/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=537

Its a fair wedge of money but i cant be doin with shagged gearboxes constantly!

So what is the conclution then guys? Standard crank is good for around 500bhp or more(never really been tested)

If goin the whole hog go for a JUN or TOMEI stroker kit?

stu

R

robinsongtir

If goin the whole hog go for a JUN or TOMEI stroker kit?
I disagree I would go for a Crower one far better as proven in many cars in the USA running a lot more horsepower than any jap car,but there is always a long wait for there products especially the billet cranks

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
stugtir said:
Have you gone with the crower kit then mate?

If so where did you source it from?

stu

er... Crower... :lol:

No serious, its a custom kit direct from Crower...

Rishi

R

robinsongtir

ordered through RC Developments but let me just say it has taken over a year to get the crankshaft made which is a long long time to wait but the quality of there work is superb no comparison to the Tomei and the Toda cranks don't know about the JUN ones not seem one.

stugtir

robinsongtir said:
ordered through RC Developments but let me just say it has taken over a year to get the crankshaft made which is a long long time to wait but the quality of there work is superb no comparison to the Tomei and the Toda cranks don't know about the JUN ones not seem one.
a year!!!! :shock: :shock: thats just taking the piss!!

i think ill go with the Tomei kit and modify the flywheel!

Im probably not going for mad power as you and rishi are, i just want around the 450 mark but with bucketloads of torque and a rock solid engine!

I dont see the point striving for a 600-700 bhp if you have only got 350-400 lb/ft of torque!

stu

O

Odin

I wouldn't change the crank for a 450bhp motor mate it's plenty strong enough, Just get it balanced well and jobs a gooden :D :wink: .

My compleatly standard motor will be running 400 ish bhp after my remap, And AWD's pulsar is running a standard engine with well over 400bhp mate 8) , So it can and has been done.

rob

stugtir

vpulsar said:
I wouldn't change the crank for a 450bhp motor mate it's plenty strong enough, Just get it balanced well and jobs a gooden :D :wink: .

My compleatly standard motor will be running 400 ish bhp after my remap, And AWD's pulsar is running a standard engine with well over 400bhp mate 8) , So it can and has been done.

rob
Yeah dont get me wrong i realise that the standard crank can take that sort of power, i just didnt want there to be any weak links!

But i guess if the general consensous is that it will be fine ill save myself a thousand quid to spend on getting a motec instead of the power fc lol 8) :lol:

O

Odin

Well you proberly know I have a motec M48 pro, And I don't really think it's worth getting over say the power FC pro, Not for what your after mate.

I'd just get the power fc as it's far more user friendly in my opinion and there's a lot more people out there that can map it for you :wink: , So you just save the grand for future repair bills :shock: :D .

It also keeps all the nissan cold start stuff as well.

rob

N

Norfy

but surely little mods like this will increase the performance of a mildly tuned engine