HKS GTRS

C

Crazy

I have seen a HKS GTRS for sale and was just wondering:

Is it a straight fit on the GTiR???

Will it be laggy if the max boost I am going to run is 1.3/1.4 bar???

Is £800 good for a second hand one that had been on a car for 3000 miles and it was supposedly only running a bar of boost??? :?:

Please will you guys answer this ASAP as I do not want this turbo to be sold if it is suitable for my GTiR, forgive me if I sound thick but I am just learning :wink:

Thanks in advance 8)

E

Edd

is £800 just for turbo alone?
It's quite a good turbo, it was on my new car, but aint good enough with 2.2.
Would cost about £1600 to buy in the UK, but you could get a brand new one from USA for £800 probably.

It def wouldnt bolt onto the std manifold without some work, would also need custom front pipe, and custom inlet and outlet made up for it.

Its meant to be good all round turbo getting good power and not too much lag, it wasn't very impressive on the 2.2, but i think that's down to the extra displacement :wink:

C

Crazy

Thanks EDD for the quick reply mate and thanks for the boost controller yesterday :wink:

Well I think I will be leaving that turbo then :? too much modifying to make it fit so it looks like I am back on the Turbo Dynamics route again :p

MD205 is what I have been thinking about buying and maybe some HKS 264 cams 8)

What do you guys think :?: :?:

S

Sirnixalot

Edd said:
is £800 just for turbo alone?

It def wouldnt bolt onto the std manifold without some work, would also need custom front pipe, and custom inlet and outlet made up for it.
:
Not so

It bolts straight onto the standard manifold and would use the standard oil & water lines as well as the compressor inlet and outlet flanges and bits. You will have to rotate the compressor housing.

The only problem is new mounts for the actuator on the compressor housing. Edd perhaps you can take a pic of this for us?

E

Edd

this is the only pic i have, hope it helps
as the turbo's being taken off the car very soon

sorry crazy, didnt think itd bolt on std manifold :oops:

C

Crazy

skiddusmarkus,

Crazy-for the extra few quid,you'd be better of getting an MD214/196 as they have much more potential than the MD205.
I did think about the MD214/MD196 but was worried about the lag, but I have not got a clue really :oops:

I thought that with a decent turbo and a set of cams I might be touching 315-320bhp and seen as how the MD205 is good for 370bhp I thought that was my best option especially as I want a turbo that has a really quick spool up for driving around town as I live in the city centre and rarely take my GTiR on the motorway :)

But if any of you guys can give me some advice on a suitable low lag turbo good for 360bhp I am all ears :D

Nad

U want my Tomei cams, Nah stay away from the MD196, its crap!

I did offer you a £2?5 but you did not accept my offer :(

Any real reason why I should stay away from the MD196 :?: :?: :? or is that the turbo you have/want :wink:

zia

if your after lag less turbo the md196 might not be suitable due to larger compressor housing/coupled with the standard .86 a/r turbine

zia

GINGA

Norris designs now do the super hybrid in roller bearing core for about £900 and thats supposed to be good for 370bhp but with the rb core it should spin up quicker than standard 8)
edited cause its £1100 :shock: though you probably get it from turbo dynamics alot cheaper :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Crazy-I have the MD214 and it's not familiar with the term lag :D and good for up to 400bhp or so.Full boost by around 3-3500rpm and that was with my car running crap with the ignition all over.Topend is much stronger too.

STAGE 4 - £1440.00

MD205 Roller Bearing turbo, high flow 48.29mm inducer compressor wheel, re-profiled compressor housing, uprated actuator.

STAGE 5 - £1465.00

MD214 Roller Bearing turbo, special 54mm GT25 76 trim turbine, high flow 76mm T04S compressor wheel (53mm inducer), re-profiled compressor housing, choice of uprated actuator, and modified wastegate. Capable of 385 B.H.P.

STAGE 6 - £1495.00

MD196 Roller Bearing turbo, special 54mm GT25 76 trim turbine, high flow 76mm T04S compressor wheel (53mm inducer), Large 0.70 A/R re-profiled compressor housing with 3” inlet and 2.5” outlet, choice of uprated actuator with extra strong bracket and modified wastegate. Capable of 430 B.H.P.

As you can see the compressors/turbines are much bigger on the 214&196 so can flow a lot more and there's not a deal of difference in price.

C

Crazy

MD214 8)

Sorry if I sound dumb :oops: but is the MD214 a straight fit???
( I mean, will I have to move the fans or anything???) :?:

Where did you get them prices from???

StevePudney sent me one of their price lists and I think (but I am not 100% because they are on my work computer but I will check in the morning) the prices were not that high :?

skiddusmarkus

STAGE 6 - £1495.00

MD196 Roller Bearing turbo, special 54mm GT25 76 trim turbine, high flow 76mm T04S compressor wheel (53mm inducer), Large 0.70 A/R re-profiled compressor housing with 3” inlet and 2.5” outlet, choice of uprated actuator with extra strong bracket and modified wastegate. Capable of 430 B.H.P.

IIRC StevePudney managed to hussle/haggle them down to around £1000/1100 for the MD196

Just means a bit more saving :wink:

Nad

MD196 used to be £1795 + vat, would like to see someone get it for £1100!!

Nad

P.S. Crazy if that ? is a 9 u can have em :wink: :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Nad said:
MD196 used to be £1795 + vat, would like to see someone get it for £1100!!

Nad

P.S. Crazy if that ? is a 9 u can have em :wink: :lol:

The £1795 is Norris Designs price(Hyper Turbo)... I'm sure you can get the same spec turbo from the US for about $850...

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
STAGE 4 - £1195.00

MD205
Roller Bearing turbo, high flow 48.29mm inducer compressor wheel, re-profiled 0.60 A/R compressor housing, T28 compact GT series roller bearing core, left hand thread “low inertia” shaft & wheel fitted with staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.64 A/R turbine housing uprated 14 psi actuator. Approx 370 BHP

STAGE 5 - £1250.00

MD214
Roller Bearing turbo, special 54mm GT25 76 trim turbine, high flow 76mm T04S compressor wheel (53mm inducer), re-profiled compressor housing, T28 compact GT series roller bearing core, left hand thread “low inertia” shaft & wheel fitted with staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.64 A/R turbine housing uprated 14 psi actuator. choice of uprated actuator, and modified wastegate. Capable of 420 B.H.P.

STAGE 6 - £1295.00

MD196
Roller Bearing turbo, special 54mm GT25 76 trim turbine, high flow 76mm T04S compressor wheel (53mm inducer), Large 0.70 A/R re-profiled compressor housing with 3” inlet and 2.5” outlet, T28 compact GT series roller bearing core, left hand thread “low inertia” shaft & wheel fitted with staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.64 A/R turbine housing uprated 14 psi actuator, choice of uprated actuator, with extra strong bracket and modified wastegate. Capable of 450 B.H.P.