Hesitating Badly

B

bean

I was driving along the motorway quite happy for 10 miles or so, pulled off onto slow roads and when I went to accelerate the car really struggled to move, the boost was still going to 1 bar but the car wasn't pulling at all! :?

I'm suspecting a boost leak, split pipe somewhere maybe?

Anyone else experienced this?

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
do a search for "hesitation"
it's one of the many common problems...

after warm up could be air leak, or bad batch of fuel,
or maybe even the power transistor is overheating (remove, apply heatsink compound, reinstall)

[check the trouble diagnosis manual pages sections]

B

bean

Could someone please tell me where these so called manual pages are?

I've noticed the car doesn't hesitate until it after a few miles once it's warmed up.

Also the needle on the boost gauge still goes up to 1 bar but the car feels sluggish and lifeless. :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bean said:
Could someone please tell me where these so called manual pages are?
In my lap now. :D

Hesitation when hot
Check fuel vapour
1 Disconnect fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose and plug hose
2 Test drive
3 Does the hesitation disappear

Yes- check fuel properties
No - continue below

Check for intake air leak
When pinching blow by hose(lowering blow by air pressure) does the engine speed rise? (blow by hose being the short hose from back of rocker cover to manifold)

Yes- Discover air leak location and repair
No - inspection end. :?

B

bean

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions tomorrow.

I've found that the problem isn't there for the first few miles of driving, car hot or cold.

I'm also using a different ECU at the moment, was original one was chipped but I want to try a standard ECU for a while.

My Mongoose is blowing where the two main parts meet as I didn't use a gasket of any sort... Gonna try sealing that tomorrow incase it makes a difference.

I don't think anything else has changed recently. :?

Gonna check the plugs, spray everything with WD40 and even try my old ignition leads tomorrow.

Fingers crossed! :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Put a gasket in there as a blowing exhaust can affect performance.
Failing that what I put above came straight from the manual, so it should be one of them if it ain't the exhaust.

B

bean

Fast Guy said:
Put a gasket in there as a blowing exhaust can affect performance.
Failing that what I put above came straight from the manual, so it should be one of them if it ain't the exhaust.
Thanks, what does check fuel properties mean? Dodgy tank of petrol? :?

B

bean

Fast Guy said:
I assume it means that, ie it's the right octane, not got any sh**e in it and not diesel :oops:
Defo running Optimax, only filled it up the other day... :)

Last question, which hoses are likely to leak on the intake side, for when I do the pinch hose test I mean. :oops:

The RPM meter on the car has just started going crazy, flickering and not rising properly with engine speed in each gear! :shock:

B

bean

I did the tests and found no problems, I've also replaced the exhaust gasket, changed over ignition leads, replaced a couple of boost hoses I thought looked dodgy. It still runs like shit :cry:

I'm sure the problem started when I swapped ECU's, I wonder if the one I'm using now is different to my original? :idea:

I'm so close to getting rid of this fucking car, it's really trying my patience!!! :x :x :x

B

bean

Yes, it was defo a GTIR ECU. I've just tried the original and the car is still running like poo. :cry:

I put my floor on the accelerator this morning and the car revs and drops, even with my foot flat to the floor. Revs keep going up and down... :shock:

B

bean

Just spoke to someone at Powerstation regarding the problem, looks like I'll have to get the car on a dyno.

Any recommendation before I drive up to Cheltenham?

I'm based in Surrey.

Curtis

The MAF plug is just before the air filter (black box with a rubber sleeve that you can pull back to see 3 wires).
The TPS is a grey plug under the intercooler that you should be able to see without removing anything if you look under the right hand side above where the dump valve sits.

B

bean

Curtis said:
The MAF plug is just before the air filter (black box with a rubber sleeve that you can pull back to see 3 wires).
The TPS is a grey plug under the intercooler that you should be able to see without removing anything if you look under the right hand side above where the dump valve sits.
Thanks...

You're right, it is scary in 'the Problem Solving' section :shock: :D

zia

it not going into limp home mode is it? try doing a diagnostic check.
really you need to know what,s the car actually doing in terms of feul and ign timing weather it.s running too rich lean etc and you need special equipment for that, best leave it for powerstation to sort out

zia