Good old "two pump brake" problem.

stumo

Bigger master cylinder = problem solved. If you had the problem with standard brakes it sounds like the master cylinder have seen better days. Now it has to work harder with the AP's the problem has been exagerated. So you might as well upgrade it with a bigger one. Master cylinders seem to be the forgotten element in an uprated brake system. If I upgrade my brakes beyond the current wilwood 4 pots I will definately spec the master cylinder in line with the piston sizes.

true but why not just buy calipers with the right size pistons in the first place?:roll:

Depends on the size of pads you want to run, no point having silly little pistons pushing the middle of the pad is there? It also leads to the centre of pressure hunting around the pad under braking which in turn leads to noisy bastard brakes

stumo

but if the silly little pistons that only push in the middle of the pad are so bad, why would companies like AP and Alcon make them then?

Trip

AP calipers: No, since the problem was there on standard calipers
Wheel Bearings: No, since the problem is also noticable when car is stationary
Leak: check fluid level
Servo: Engine off, pump pedal till hard, Keep your foot on it and switch on engine. If it goes down, its OK
Master Cylinder: Engine off, pump pedal till hard, Press pedal hard for a minute. If it does not go down, its OK.

I had a different problem on mine. Brakes were very weak. I ended up changing the Bias valve to a non ABS one, Master cylinder, and upgraded to 4pot wilwood (with 35mm pistons). I will test tomorrow or saturday.

Trondelond

I checked the servo the other way stated in the manual - pressure on pedal while car running, turn the car off and see if the pedal has dropped in 30 secs.
I'll do the master cylinder like you propose! I suppose overhauling it is no harder than the clutch cylinder?

And thanks for the formula, stumo. I'll try to figure out the area!

Trondelond

Trond, you've either got a bad master cyl or the pistons are too big for the size of master cyl.

what's the piston sizes?

Work out the area of the pistons on one side of the caliper.

I think the piston in the std caliper is 50mm diameter, so the area is

A=Pi r2
A=3.142 x (25x25)
A=1964mm2

you can usually get away with 10-15% more area before you can run into problems....long pedal, needing two pumps etc etc

So if your area is more than 2260mm2 then you're gonna have problems......

If you look at Willwood, Alcon, or AP calipers etc you can usually see that they're available with several different sized pistons
So;

OE piston is 54mm

3.142 x (27 x 27) = 3.142 x 729 = 2290.1 mm2

AP Pistons are 38.1mm

3.142 x (19.05 x 19.05) = 3.142 x 362.9 = 1140.2 mm2

But there's two pistons on each side :

1140.2 x 2 = 2280.4 mm2

So, if your theory is correct, it's the master cylinder!

:)

watoga

If the AP's have *smaller* area than the OE pistons, then surely the applied pressure should be greater?

Pressure = Force / Area

So, I think stumo's worry was that if AP's piston area was huge compared to the OE brakes, then the pressure would be substantially decreased. However, since the combined AP's area is less than OE, the problem might be coming from elsewhere.

How about the junction in the caliper where the hydraulic fluid is split between the two cylinders? Can this be checked? Is there any flexing in the hydraulic lines?

Hope you get it sorted soon,
Dave

Trondelond

The only thing I'm concerned with is that this is a four-piston caliper, and thus it has roughly double the total area of the OE piston, but stumo's theorem (as it shall be known as henceforth) says that thou shalt only calculate the area of one side.

I don't think I can check that junction - no. I don't know if they flex, but I can check.

watoga

Is the standard OE brakes single-piston calipers?!?!?!?! My God, no wonder they are so crap! LOL!

If this is the case, then you are correct:

OE total area = 2290 mm2 (one piston)
AP total area = 4560 mm2 (four pistons at 1140 mm2 each)

So this suggests the master cylinder is inadequate for your needs ;)

Is an upgraded master cylinder with a wider bore easy to fit?

Cheers,
Dave

Trondelond

Yessir, they are! :)

As far as I'm aware, there are no replacement cylinders. At least not that I would be able to fit on my own. I may (hopefully) be wrong.
However, other people have been using even bigger brakes without problems - old loveable sourpuss Odin comes to mind - and I don't think he had upgraded his.

And there's even a six-pot kit that works : http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50896&highlight=k-sport+6pots

I think I'm going to have to do the master cylinder and check wheel bearings before I make any more assumptions.

watoga

Good work mate,

If you find any interesting information about an easy-to-upgrade brake master cylinder don't forget to post it up here! ;)

Thanks,
Dave

GTIR-LOZ

i belive a 300zx one fits but ive not tried it to confirm my hispec monster 6 calipers were fine - once i sorted the wheel bearing out

stumo

If you're going to calculate the area for all the pistons then you have to double the area for the std caliper therefore it's easier just to consider only one side of the caliper.

Calculating the areas of the pistons at this stage has nothing to do with the pressures involved , it's to work out if the piston areas are similar or not.

If the area of the "uprated" pistons is a lot larger than the std pistons then you will get a long brake pedal as the volume of fluid moved by the master cyl isn't sufficient for the new calipers.

I now have the K-sport 6pot kit and from memory the piston area was very similar to std and i have no problems with any excess pedal movement.

Last edited:

Trondelond

I don't understand the physicis of it, as I'm checking the total piston area of the OE caliper against half of the piston area of the AP caliper. But as I don't understand it, I'm not going to argue. :D

However, had to go out to the car now, and I tried pumping the pedal hard while stationary. It kept the pressure, and was firm after 30 seconds. Drove a few yards and weaved to try and provoke the bearings, and the pressure dropped. I think I may be on to something here.

stumo

Is the standard OE brakes single-piston calipers?!?!?!?! My God, no wonder they are so crap! LOL!

If this is the case, then you are correct:

OE total area = 2290 mm2 (one piston)
AP total area = 4560 mm2 (four pistons at 1140 mm2 each)

So this suggests the master cylinder is inadequate for your needs ;)

Is an upgraded master cylinder with a wider bore easy to fit?

Cheers,
Dave

you're completely wrong, as the OE caliper is a sliding one you have to treat it as a 2 piston caliper.