G/F Bumpers and front wings?

bracpan

In that case there is no point. As im not going to try and use vacum bags etc. So the lay up would be just the same. So its just not worth it as they would weigh the same as a G/F panel.

bracpan

Have fun...as thats a lot of work for so little if any gain over G/F it might be a be a bit stronger but if you hit anything you will be making new panels just the same as if they were made of G/F. Except yours will cost a lot more...its a no brainer!! I would rather spend my money on making the car quicker.

Last edited:

Jon Olds

Only application needing carbon/kevlar is rallycross as the cars use each other to lean around the corner, or at least they did when I used to do it

bracpan

Omg yes that lot are mad,,,but great a spectator sport. Yes Jon its the Kelvlar that will keep the shape of the panel together, carbon although strong is brittle, as we see every Grand Prix weekend. I have used carbon/kevlar in the past and that is strong and looks amazing but I sold that Pulsar bonnet and made a lighter pure G/F one. I also will never use the apoxy resin again as its cacagenic....nasty stuff, especially when your trimming the panel.

warpspeed

I'm qualified as a yacht and boatbuilder so well used to working with grp/moulds etc, i know it's a lot of work for not much gain but it's what i want for the car. If very cheap grp panels came up cheap i would accept them just now but i want carbon panels so that's that 8)

bracpan

Your not going to believe this but the chap I get my G/F from, his brother does Infusion moulding!!! I will be looking into it but I also think I would have to make the moulds different with large flanges around them,,,,I wont make an repeat moulds as thats a waste of money but will have to think about how i make any in the future.
The door ones will definatly stay as they are...lol

bracpan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodfQcrXpxc&feature=related This is a very good link on resin infusion, I must admit it looks brilliant the results speak for them selves. But the way the moulds are made is very important to get it all to work. Imagine trying the get the lip and seal around a taigate or door mould !! Plus the cost of the equipment etc....Its really impresive but i dont think Ill be even attempting it...so good luck Warspeed I am sure we all cant wait to see the results?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodfQcrXpxc&feature=related This is a very good link on resin infusion, I must admit it looks brilliant the results speak for them selves.
That's really interesting! - When they said "bag" I assumed that you simply put the whole lot inside a bag and then applied the vacuum (like those things you see on late-night TV for storing clothes etc). You could probably still do it like that if you had a smaller part, but using the mold as part of the "bag" seems smarter for big items. The mesh to help it infuse is pretty clever too.

I've said it before; you could reduce the cost of some of these parts by recycling the fibre. I'm pretty sure Airbus pays to dispose of their off-cuts, and it seems to me that a piece that's too small for an airframe is probably OK for a car.

I'd love to see what can be done by playing with different materials; scrap cotton cloth for example. It may not have the rigidity of carbon fibre, but that might be valuable if you were making a bumper. - I love a bit of experimentation!

warpspeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodfQcrXpxc&feature=related This is a very good link on resin infusion, I must admit it looks brilliant the results speak for them selves. But the way the moulds are made is very important to get it all to work. Imagine trying the get the lip and seal around a taigate or door mould !! Plus the cost of the equipment etc....Its really impresive but i dont think Ill be even attempting it...so good luck Warspeed I am sure we all cant wait to see the results?
The equipment is cheap enough if you know where to look.
Doors and tailgate are around the end of my list so don't hold your breath! lol

bracpan

I was just woundering why you dont to it yourself if your trained for it? I was originally trained as an Electrician so if I wanted my house wired there is no way in the world I would ask anybody else to do it?
I also learned something a long time ago when it comes to cars, parts and tuning etc if its cheap its cheap for a reason? Its because its Crap....

Last edited:

whytie

Bracpan pm details, im looking for doors,tailgate,bonnet and wings for my next project. Not bothered for time but have cash ready.

warpspeed

Because i work away between 6-8months of the year and the time involved in making moulds means i could justify buying panels of you versus my time at home. I'm prioritising what's important on the car and the quarter panels, front arches, bonnet and bumpers are first in line and as they are gonna be custom panels i have to make moulds for them, if i sell sets of arches in the future so be it but i'm building the car they way i want it, not to make money. If you had made doors and tailgates in carbon i would have budgeted for that in the build, but as you don't i will just fit steel panels for now and make carbon ones at a later date.
As for cheap parts, i'm not suggesting chinese parts or anything like that, it's just that i have a friend who travels to America a lot and imports motorhomes so i can get stuff shipped for free, vacuum pumps, valves etc are very cheap over there when you take shipping costs out. I'm also planning on going over to Florida next summer to buy some motorhomes myself and will be going round the scrapyards looking for ve heads etc.

I was just woundering why you dont to it yourself if your trained for it? I was originally trained as an Electrician so if I wanted my house wired there is no way in the world I would ask anybody else to do it?
I also learned something a long time ago when it comes to cars, parts and tuning etc if its cheap its cheap for a reason? Its because its Crap....

bracpan

Sound a good on going job. I also got most of my engine parts from the states, much better prices than over here even when the exchange rates were bad. The VE heads do sound a good idea its a shame I cant use them as they are not alowed in the class i race in, all has to be standard casings. Its the same with the panels I cant use the doors etc as its not alowed. if you ever think of racing yours you will also have to be carefull what you fit etc,, but if its for the road you have a complete free hand. But i would definatly fit a full cage if your thinking of Light doors carbon or not they will not stop a car coming though the side.
Good luck and keep us informed.

warpspeed

My shell already has a custom cages welded in cage with door bars, although i am planning on adding more bracing.
Job is ok apart from the heat, last trip was over 50c!!! and well over that in the engine room! it's the same company Martyn works for, usually 4 weeks on 4 off although i tend to do longer trips and cash in leave for buying car bits!

bracpan

Is that Martyns old shell? looked a good buy if it was, I used a custom cages one too as I dont tlike the cages that go in front of the dash.