front ext exhaust

Gav_Kara

Major_Sarcasm said:
Be warned; front exit pipes on a Pulsar are fooking loud :lol:

I drove my mate Sam's (Smo on here) down from Norwich and we got some looks on the motorways :D

Your neighbours will hate you.
ive not got any neighbours ha ha ha my mates old r had front exit and wont any loader than mine is at min!!!

Mr GTiR

Gav_Kara said:
ok cheers mate!!! my r is well load at min.. my mate fitted front exit to his and it didnt seem any louder
Just bear in mind that with a front exit exhaust you will never ever get on any track in the UK for a trackday.

My exhaust is 3" straight through with a 5Zeign rear muffler and that is loud! Last time it was tested it was 107db and Si (oosid) had his done at the same time (front side exit) and his come in at 109db!! We both never got on that track day.

My car is now booked in for a new rear straight through back box (just like Jim, Stu's and Rob's exhaust) to get it down to 100db!

R

riske

I have goose 3" straight through with goose 5" back and it is loud on some throttle so can't be much difference in loudness? Can you fail a MOT for having too loud xaust? Saw a starlet with Front side exit and it was spitting flames and fast! Wanna do summin like that on mine....

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
alot of MOT stations use there own discretion into what is exceptable as you might discover and yes your car can fail it's MOT if the exhaust is deemed to be to load.

Your Mongoose exhaust does not have an internal bore of 3" , if you measure it I think you'll find it's more like 2" and believe me a full 3" system is much loader than any shitty old mongoose even with the 5" tail pipe. Also stainless systems are often loader than mild steel systems.

Smo

My Pulsar (as Major said) has a front exit - and is silly loud. I can no longer drive with my window open as a) the flames can lick my elbow and b) my ears ring after a 20 minute drive.

As for novelty - it's simply ****ing awesome. You're meant to know when a Pulsar is coming and with mine you get exactly that. Not only can you distinctly pick out the turbo whistle, but on boost it sounds like the apocalypse. Gentle driving sees plenty of blue flames spitting all over the place and on a spirited drive a bright orange ****er will touch the hedgerow on the other side of the road no worries.

See here for a brief video at night (beware, it gets LOUD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gc_1kLAws

However. It's too loud to live with and pisses me off (it failed MOTs at multiple stations for being too loud) - I am very, very tempted to revert to a 3" goose, but the amount of work gone into it is rather staggering and it would take away the character of the car. It's nice when everyone knows it's you because not only did it sound like Satan rode past on a Motorcycle made of screaming babies, but the 4 foot flames firing out the front are like a big middle finger to the poor prick you just overtook.

I would miss it terribly.

Last edited:

Smo

Gav_Kara said:
that sounds sweet.. ha did u make the front exit ya self??
I didn't mate - she came with it. I'll take some detailed pics for you as soon as I can.

R

riske

Yeah man that sounds sweet! I want one but will definately have to park down the road and walk home...

CanadianR

Smo said:
My Pulsar (as Major said) has a front exit - and is silly loud. I can no longer drive with my window open as a) the flames can lick my elbow and b) my ears ring after a 20 minute drive.

As for novelty - it's simply ****ing awesome. You're meant to know when a Pulsar is coming and with mine you get exactly that. Not only can you distinctly pick out the turbo whistle, but on boost it sounds like the apocalypse. Gentle driving sees plenty of blue flames spitting all over the place and on a spirited drive a bright orange ****er will touch the hedgerow on the other side of the road no worries.

See here for a brief video at night (beware, it gets LOUD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gc_1kLAws

However. It's too loud to live with and pisses me off (it failed MOTs at multiple stations for being too loud) - I am very, very tempted to revert to a 3" goose, but the amount of work gone into it is rather staggering and it would take away the character of the car. It's nice when everyone knows it's you because not only did it sound like Satan rode past on a Motorcycle made of screaming babies, but the 4 foot flames firing out the front are like a big middle finger to the poor prick you just overtook.

I would miss it terribly.
damn you! i was going to store my car this winter but I need to drive it now! that thing sounded really good.

Side exit or straight through for me though.

Damm that thing sounded good.:thumbsup:

Trip

I might be wrong here, but isn't this setup good for high HP figures but has a negative effect on turbo spool and gives less low/mid range torque ?

R

riske

Naa it would be better for turbo spool as no backflow. It would help turbo spool. It wouldnt dramatically effect mid range but open her up and you'll feel the benefits. Read the post about the 3" straight through exhaust. Your engine is fighting less against pushing the fumes out so gives more hp.

Got any pics yet ???

R

riske

Yeah for a NA engine but never for turbocharged engines. Doubt it would do anything different in the mid/low range but you would definatly feel it higher up.

R

riske

Really. How? But its better for the turbo and performance not to have backpressure.

GTIR-LOZ

i might be totally wrong!

i was remembering when my actuator snapped and it took forever to start the car but in that case the wastegate is just flapping open so it bypasses the turbo hasnt really got anything to do with backpressure lol