Do not look

chris
fraid this is gonna be a last minute thing as theres a postage strike looming so im not posting anything out by royal mail.
i now have a spare ecu in stock plus a afm and also a lambda sensor, im guessing its one of the three and il edge towards it being an ecu fault.

if you like il bring the things to the trackday and you can try them there one at a time to see if that cures the fault or alternatively il send them via courier beforehand but youll have to pay the courier fees, then try the bits (one at a time) and if something cures the prob then just pay for that part and bring the other bits to give back to me on the trackday!
thats all i can suggest really
Thank you, :lol: your a great help, I'd be screwed without you for bits and help ......and advice, as I'm sure many others will agree! :thumbsup:

ChrisS

chris
fraid this is gonna be a last minute thing as theres a postage strike looming so im not posting anything out by royal mail.
i now have a spare ecu in stock plus a afm and also a lambda sensor, im guessing its one of the three and il edge towards it being an ecu fault.

if you like il bring the things to the trackday and you can try them there one at a time to see if that cures the fault or alternatively il send them via courier beforehand but youll have to pay the courier fees, then try the bits (one at a time) and if something cures the prob then just pay for that part and bring the other bits to give back to me on the trackday!
thats all i can suggest really
Your a saint bob!!

Chris, ive got a lambda sensor in the garage you can try, but guessing you'll need the other bits sending aswell from bob just in case its not that. Cant see it being lamba to be honest as it only uses that when in closed loop, full throttle you will be in open loop so the ecu shouldnt be taking any feedback from it. Let me know if you need a hand at the weekend at all.

ChrisS

Looking at the graph again its almost like the ecu is still targeting closed loop a/f when your on full boost.

jjs

h ibob , regarding the lambda, im sure ive seen a pulsar running with the lamda removed , do you know if its possible, or ok to run without, ? Jim.

Your a saint bob!!

Chris, ive got a lambda sensor in the garage you can try, but guessing you'll need the other bits sending aswell from bob just in case its not that. Cant see it being lamba to be honest as it only uses that when in closed loop, full throttle you will be in open loop so the ecu shouldnt be taking any feedback from it. Let me know if you need a hand at the weekend at all.
Hopefully I'll be getting the bits real soon from Bob to try, if anything goes wrong I'll let you know!:-D and if I get stuck and need help, I'll definately take you up on that offer! :thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

bits are booked in for todays collection chris, with other parcels going out.

chris s....yes your probably right when you think about it, lambda should make no difference at wot but il send one out anyway.

jim.... with lambda removed youll probably find she will run a bit lumpy on tick over and possibly on partial throttle as ecu takes afr measurement from it amongst other sensors which constantly are adjusting fuelling, so if its disconnected then it will more than likely be running too rich, but as said on wot it should make no difference tbh.

if someone knows any better then please correct me as im not 100% sure, but seem to remember emissions rising at base idle with it disconnected (as with any car) which would indicate excess fuelling.

Fusion Ed

Lambda only works on a small part of the ecu map. About the first half, after this its just reading map values. The cars will run fine without and the lambda does nothing at all until the engine is upto temp. If its not there the ECU will just not correct the base AFR. which it only has a relatively small control over anyway. It should not be enough to notice really (without emissions tester). With it not there you would perhaps find slightly richer idle, but it can also go leaner too.

It looks to me as if the ECU is not seeing engine load properly. I would probably start with the MAF, and as it is an unusual fault change the ecu. I have seen them damaged by water getting in from previously blown heater matrix before.

Ed

jjs

cheers guys, trying to tidy up the engine bay, and get rid of as much as possible, for autocross car ,

P

pulsarboby

parts are now en route chris, lets hope that one of them fix your problem for you

ChrisS

Im just back from giving chris a hand, swopped the afm and ecu bob sent and the car is still no different. No fault codes showing. It almost feels as though its in safe mode, feels like its holding back although saying that its a long time since ive driven one with a standard turbo ect.
Boost builds and holds but seems to be much later than id expect. Also, the one i cant get my head round at all, even with the line to the actuator disconnected it still wont boost past 0.9bar.

If the car was accessing the safe mode and pulling the timing right back would this have any effect on the boost it can pull?

Anybody got any more suggesions as Chris needs the car sorting for the track day on tuesday.

P

pulsarboby

has anyone actually checked the base timing on this car?
sounds to me as though the engine timing could be out which will cause the car to struggle when coming on boost and it will obviously be lacking loads of power which it is

get a timing gun and set it to 20 degrees then make sure second mark from left on the pulley is aligned with pointer on pump cover, might be easier to mark the segment on crank pulley with a bit of tipex or similar!
my guess is it will be out;-)

gtir_pimp

stabbing in the dark but other tests he could do that are easy if he hasnt done them already....
-boost and vac leak test
-ecu fault code check
-injector check and clean
-blank off dump valve
-re-earth maf
-change det sensor

gtir_pimp

sounds to me as though the engine timing could be out which will cause the car to struggle when coming on boost and it will obviously be lacking loads of power which it is

get a timing gun and set it to 20 degrees then make sure second mark from left on the pulley is aligned with pointer on pump cover, might be easier to mark the segment on crank pulley with a bit of tipex or similar!

wasnt the car ok untill the turbo died and only started giving agro after it was rebuilt and refitted? so timing should be ok?

ChrisS

Another one to try. Presumed it had already been looked at. Will that link with the fueling issue though?

ChrisS

stabbing in the dark but other tests he could do that are easy if he hasnt done them already....

-boost and vac leak test - pressurised from turbo and doesnt appear to be any leaks
-ecu fault code check - clear, showing 5 -5
-injector check and clean - not sure on that one
-blank off dump valve - standard recirc fitted. One thing i noticed, the car does sound different to other R's ive been in. Sounds like an air noise, different from the induction type noise. Back at york dragway a few months back fast guy also commented on the car sounding strange, almost screemer pipe like. Could air be leaking from anywhere else?
-re-earth maf - dont think this has been done
-change det sensor - Changed

gtir_pimp

theres a guide on here somewhere on how to re-earth the maf. to check injectors are spraying evenly you have to undo the fuel rail and try to start the car to see the spray pattern of the injectors. bob or someone else will have to explain how this is done better.blank dump valve as you wont always be able to hear them leaking. and what psi did you get to when you checked for boost leaks? that air noise could be a boost leak.

P

pulsarboby

this is the first thing i said to chris with regard to the air leaks etc but hes adament that there is none!

get some washing up liquid and dilute it with a bit of water about 50/50 and spray it all around the inlet manifold and on underside (stay away from injector solenoids)
if it starts to idle really lumpy then chances are that he has a huge air leak around the throrttle bodies area.

wished i had been closer as i would have loved to have a look at this one, something there is very very wrong indeed. at the power thats making and the way car is running there must be a glaring fault staring at you lol

it wont be injectors aron as all 4 would need to be underfuelling and that is most unlikely, if an injector is faulty it will normally chuck a stream of fuel into the cylinder causing it to run very rich and the hydro carbon levels would go through the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisS

this is the first thing i said to chris with regard to the air leaks etc but hes adament that there is none!

get some washing up liquid and dilute it with a bit of water about 50/50 and spray it all around the inlet manifold and on underside (stay away from injector solenoids)
if it starts to idle really lumpy then chances are that he has a huge air leak around the throrttle bodies area.

wished i had been closer as i would have loved to have a look at this one, something there is very very wrong indeed. at the power thats making and the way car is running there must be a glaring fault staring at you lol

it wont be injectors aron as all 4 would need to be underfuelling and that is most unlikely, if an injector is faulty it will normally chuck a stream of fuel into the cylinder causing it to run very rich and the hydro carbon levels would go through the roof.
In fairness it does feel like its got more than the 135bhp the graph gave!!! Kept staring at it and no faults jumped out. You might still get your moment of glory in finding it bob if its still running like that on tuesday.

Will take a dump valve down tommorow aswell to try instead of the recirc on it just to rule that leaking out aswell.