Crunch time

Cathode

So, after nearly 8 years of owner ship, 5 being the build, today, the Pulsar is off to Jody who works with Martin Battye.
He is going to cast his eye over my car before he fits:

A Nistune ECU
HKS 550 Injectors
Skyline R35 MAF Intake
Greddy profec Spec 2 Boost controller
Connect my AEM AFR

Then if all is good it's off to Martin's to get it mapped. Aiming for around 320hp for the moment.

Spent yesterday morning checking it over, secured the exhaust, oil change and coolant change.

Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Cathode

I don’t know. I imagine something like 1.1 maybe 1.2

EDIT: plan is for 1.3 or maybe even 1.4. May turn out to have a bit more punch than I bargained for.

Last edited:

Cathode

Dropped off the car yesterday afternoon. Turns out my HKS 550 injectors are HKS 550 injectors and flow fantastically and were given new seals. lovely stuff. So it's going to be worked on over the next few days.

Cathode

Today I visited the work shop. Amazingly my wide band sensor works and the boost controller has been set up and works. Found out had some vacuum issues and the throttle bodies needed adjusting. All sorted.

The ECU is standard but chipped as it was taken apart for inspection and can be married to the Nistune board. Nice.

New intake being made for the R35 MAF welded in to one massive pipe. Plus getting all the inter-cooler pipes welded together for less links.

Making good progress.

Cathode

All inter-cooler pipes welded. Intake pipe welded and fitted with the R35 MAF. Injectors in. All checked and working. The car idles soooo much better than it ever has since i built it. Too many leaks i didn't know about. Anyway, just waiting on a new intake filter and a metal cap to be welded onto the inlet mani to stop another leak then next week, it's tuning time!

i got some pics and videos to put up in my build thread.

Cathode

I am going to figure out how to get some pics up or just wait until the car comes back and take them then but it is now ready to be mapped. I am a bit nervous but fingers crossed nothing's going to go POP. Shouldn't do.

The pipe work looks great and the intake with the R35 MAF looks really nice. Jody has done amazing work on the car.

Cathode

Not too shabby at all!

Was that made on the 2871?
Yes, on an old school Gt2871R. Picked it up today and oh. My. God. It doesn’t hang about! Absolutely awesome. The 3rd and 4th gear pull is insane!!! 5th is just stupid. Easily max out the top end. Don’t forget mine is stripped out and weights about 1050k. So addictive. Can’t get enough of it. It sounds different, idles better and the turbo flutter is great. A proper weapon. Kudos to Jody and Martin Battye. They’ve done a sterling job .

Last edited:

Cathode

Yes, first thing tomorrow. I promise. The intake is bespoke it’s the MAF that’s R35 instead of an z32 for example

Sunny_D

Yes, on an old school Gt2871R. Picked it up today and oh. My. God. It doesn’t hang about! Absolutely awesome. The 3rd and 4th gear pull is insane!!! 5th is just stupid. Easily max out the top end. Don’t forget mine is stripped out and weights about 1050k. So addictive. Can’t get enough of it. It sounds different, idles better and the turbo flutter is great. A proper weapon. Kudos to Jody and Martin Battye. They’ve done a sterling job .
That’s a great result, I’m debating gt28rs or gt2871r but your figures are exactly what I’m aiming for. Is that the .64 or .86? When are you seeing full boost?

Cathode

Ooo blimey... I’m not sure I’ll have to find out. To hazard a guess Jody and Martin did remark that it was a touch laggier than other GT2871R turbos and the housing seemed a little large. Not that it’s a problem as it is a blessing for the gear box but make no mistake, @WOT it propels you into the horizon like an ICBM.

Full boost @4.5 all the way to 7.6 rpm and it doesn’t let up one bit. You have to be paying attention when timing the gear changes because the Rev speed just doesn’t stop. Very naughty.

Last edited:

Sunny_D

Ooo blimey... I’m not sure I’ll have to find out. To hazard a guess Jody and Martin did remark that it was a touch laggier than other GT2871R turbos and the housing seemed a little large. Not that it’s a problem as it is a blessing for the gear box but make no mistake, @WOT it propels you into the horizon like an ICBM.

Full boost @4.5 all the way to 7.6 rpm and it doesn’t let up one bit. You have to be paying attention when timing the gear changes because the Rev speed just doesn’t stop. Very naughty.
Nice!! Sounds like the .86 from what I’ve read

Cathode

Would anyone have an educated guess about what kind of power is sapped by the 4 wheel drive system? Was just watching a video about pulsars and someone mentioned a 90hp power loss!!! Good grief.