Clutch Longevity record

E

Edd

I thought it would be good to have a thread where people posted what clutch they have owned, what boost they ran on it, driving style and how long it lasted.
It's not designed to slag anyone off, just facts. Then i will compile a list for thhe tuining fao forum to help future users.

Std clutch- already fitting, 6000 miles on std boost, 100 miles on 1 bar then slipped

Exedy Organic(wrong clutch type for car) 600 miles each (had 2) before plate snapped 1 bar normal driving.

Ap organic - 3000 miles 1 bar normal driving then sold it 2nd hand

OS Giken twin plate - 5500 miles at varying boost 0.5 bar to 0.9 bar, lots of launching with launch control daily....still grips for now..

O

Odin

Nismo 9 paddle clutch lasted 36000 mile's first 15000 at 1 bar an the rest at 1.2 bar with a few track day's and loads of 1/4 mile day's launching at 5500rpm with my launch control :twisted: .

Was very impressed with it, Light and smooth to use as well 8) .

It's about £550 to replace though :shock: .

rob

MarkTurbo

Standard clutch - Was in the car when i bought it. Gave up completly after 3 months (4000 miles) I was only running standard boost but once i started doing a few launches that killed it :wink:

AP organic (old style cover plate) - This one lasted 5 1/2 months (7000 miles) then 1 of the tabs on the cover plate that holds the fingers in place snapped off and jammed the clutch up :( And broke the gearbox at the same time :x

AP organic (New style cover plate) I got sent this one free of charge after the other one broke. No complaints about it (apart from the pedal being stiffer than the last one) Holds up to launches pretty well 8) Its only done about 6000 miles and is out the car now due to me breaking my box again :roll: I reckon it would have lasted quite a while cos there is still a fair bit of friction material left on it :D Thats despite quite a few launches and having to pull away in 3rd gear quite a few times when my box broke :lol:

A

Anonymous

edd,you'll never get any useful info from this straw poll :shock:

people's perceptions of how they drive and how the clutch feels is not accurate against how other people act/react.

i'm not trying to urinate on your fire :wink: but,you do need to take into account that the info you gather is not accurate and imho,shouldn't really be used in a FAQ which other people might take as gospel.

GINGA

Normal Ap organic been in use about 2 years now with boosts of 1 bar, 1.2 bar, 1.2 bar plus 50 shot of nos, 1.4 bar plus nos, 1.8 bar plus nos all on standard turbo, then 1.4 bar plus nos on bigger turbo and 1.6bar without nos on big turbo until engine blew up lol its still going strong now after 10k miles and upto 417bhp and 370lbsft of torque with load of sedate driving :roll: and about 50ish full bore launchs at the pod :twisted:
although it was getting alittle tired towards the end (of the engine that is :lol: ) and didn't like 400bhp from a standing start much :twisted: it never once slipped 8)
Got another ap organic in the grey R now which has been in well over a year and is currently coping well enough with approx 350bhp/325lbsft though when I had it out recently the centre plate springs were worryingly loose in the plate still seemed ok for a few more runs at the pod though :twisted:
Btw thats all with the standard gearbox :wink:

G

GTI-R

Standard lasted 2 mins after a changed the exhaust :lol:

After that it was an AP organic which lasted about 20,000 (was replaced during rebuild, it was semi-worn). Then I had a AP cerametallic which last 1,000 after my first ND rebuild, the car was being run in and it would appear it was a faulty clutch.

They (AP) then (apparently) change the composite of the organic clutch they replaced it with. It would seem that something was cool coz it lasted 50,000 and when it was out at 30,000 Simon said it looked new. It had runup to 1.8 bar with small handfull of standing starts (I looked after it).

I am now in with an Exedy which is bearing up well (so far) and has done about 1000 miles without concern.

Tony

Helix organic - 3500miles - centre plate snapped all the way round - normal / fast road use :wink:

Ap organic - 45miles - centre plate snapped all the way round - pulling out the garage going home use!!! :evil:

2nd hand (ex race car) ceramitallic 4 paddle - 10000miles still going strong - fast fast road and trying to slide off the line use

Name of above escapes me but i`m sure i`ll remember soon!!! its jap if that helps???

Tony....

ashills

had a beefed up standard one for 6 months at 380ish bhp then it was still ok but safetys sake changed to helix organic which took 30 launches at pod and then a weekend of abuse driving to lemans and back only slipped twice on 7k launches
then os giken for a full 500 miles and it wa sbrilliant but had to be slipped to get full bore launches
upto the os giken all was done on a standard box (then a quiaffe broke in 500 miles DOH)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Standard clutch - it's taken 250ish bhp for over a year, has been in since I bought the car and has been launched alot and driven hard.

zia

clutch unknown ran .8 bar for year then 1 bar for another year and now holds 1.3 bar no sign of slippage done track day, and some launches, at the pod i don,t think it standard but not sure!!

zia

turblio

Helix uprated edition, 1.8 bar but mainly 1.4 bar seems fine but will not spin the wheels at pull away :p
Frank

mattygti-r

ap paddle, harsh feel to the clutch but itsfine, been in there 2 years now,

no prbs , its not lauched, (ever) thou it has seen track days (not by me but previous owner)

J

J-GTi-R

Standard clutch, 40k miles on standard boost, still probably another 10k miles left in it.

Edd, just have to say that AP organic you sold had quite a few heat spots on it and would have ideally needed the cover plate skimming again before re-use.

E

Edd

Why didn't you tell me before jason i hope neostar didn't mind :oops: as i never actually looked at the clutch i just sent it to someo ne who i thought would appreciate it :roll:

P

purplemonster

AP paddle been in for 1 year 12,000 miles judders amd quite harsh ,driven hard but not lauched and running 1 bar

should last quite a long time me thinks

ROB

J

J-GTi-R

Edd said:
Why didn't you tell me before jason i hope neostar didn't mind :oops: as i never actually looked at the clutch i just sent it to someo ne who i thought would appreciate it :roll:
Oops sorry... :oops:

I did mean to say something but forgot :roll: I figured you knew and had sorted it out with Dan, but he seemed like a good guy so I'm sure he got it sorted out.

BenD

standard clutch, new 1 year ago, was running 1.4bar for a few months but usually on 1 bar, abuse the car 24/7 (did :roll: ) Slight hint of slip now, no complaints from std clutch :twisted:

M

MarkMc

Organic clutch race brakesaus 145 kwaw lasted about 5000km to 10000km. Uprated noname 500hp ceramic clutch 190kwaw lasted 5000km or one drag strip outing.
You almost need a gear box longevity survey with power levels too. :wink: