chatter or dumpvalve

C

caz

wot DV u got Jase, coz my HKS one is a bit like that. Accel hard, lots of boost to release, and a loud sharp tsssh but on light throttle, low boost, I get a bit of chatter. Although this may be me getting confused with flutter.

Oh god, chatter, flutter, or phtsssh. :? :shock:

J

jasegould

Sheepdog... :D Chatter/flutter...could be either.....still sounds good tho!

R

rsnissan

chatter 8) my old bailey bov olny used to dump when making a bar and used to chatter at any boost below that :lol:

S

Sunny Nutter

I get the same from my forge Dv with the weak spring! 8)

Nad

Coming off throttle at low boost mine used to chatter, high boost it used to scream cause of the external wastegate and screamer pipe and then flutter with the sheepdog when u let off from high boost :lol:

Nad

I

Ish

someone asked whether chatter damage the turbo.

LOADS of cossies running t34 turbos @ 26-30 psi run no d/v for maximum chatter with no problem at all 8)

G

gotoinstant-redline

external wastegate and possibly antilag.
its defo a large wastegate noise. my R did a quieter ver of this when i first got it. the wastegate is small on the R's turbo.. but it wasnt that that was making the noise on my car.
the dump valve had a spring that was too strong for stock boost. so the dv cahttered as the presure got high enough to release a bit..

is you have an external wastegate, you will hear it just like that. also antilag can create some mental dv sounds. chiprping a couple of times a second as you come off the gas! just like a rally car.
plus with antilag you dont get any lag ( :roll: ) and you get a lot of fireworks and bangs from the exhaust.. lovely.

i'm off to run the antilag on the driveway again :)

L.

nismoboy

Im deffinatly thinking about removing my dump valve as i have heard that most dump valves leak and can cause u to run lean. will it damage the turbo if i remove it or not that is the question?

daz

dumpvalves are there for a reason to release pressure plus the recirc one keeps the turbo spinning to reduce lag

K

KrissJ

My HKS SQV chatters when I release at low revs or come off the throttle gradually. Sounds class! 8)

I thought the propper chatters & chirps came from an external wastegate. How ever you get it, I want it! :D

Oh god, this video is takin sooo long to download!

K

KrissJ

Yeaaah!!! Just watched the vid. That sounds fuckin awsome! I definately need to know how to get my R soundin like that, its the bollocks, proper rally style like! :D :D

G

gotoinstant-redline

darren75 said:
dumpvalves are there for a reason to release pressure plus the recirc one keeps the turbo spinning to reduce lag
well the recirc idea is that there is the same amount of air in the system as the afm thinks there is. rather than dumping it all out the dump valve to the air..
but the outlet of the recirc goes back into the intake pipe after the afm but before the turbo. this is not a sealed part of the system so any extra presure is going to get spread out evenly.. e.g it wont keep the presure of the intake up.. infact its putting hot gasses back into the turbo and can even stall the air coming in from the filter as the extra presure can escape back out the filter.

so it doesnt keep the turbo spinning any more than an atmo dv. as they both release the back presure that would otherwise stall the turbo..

maybe if you had a 1 way afm then you could keep the presure up as it enters the turbo?

L.

A

Anonymous

rsnissan said:
chatter 8) my old bailey bov olny used to dump when making a bar and used to chatter at any boost below that :lol:
Yep, mine too...sounded the nuts!

Dunc