brakes...

dumpstar85

before i get slaughtered for posting this, i did use search with no results...

Basically, as ive finally booked in my r to have the head rebuilt and finally sort out the noisey tappets/shims i thought id sort out my brakes, which on the last few days before i took her off the road started to leak brake fluid from the caliper.. the disks are really lipped, im talking like a 2mm lip on the edges.

Just looking for a bit of advice off you guys as to what you think is best to do.. rebuild my calipers, get some new uprated disks and pads or buy a big brake conversion which im more liking the idea of... that brings me to my second question, What are the biggest brakes i can fit in 16'' rims and where can i get them? i had 6pot hi-spec's on my last pulsar but that had 17'' rims and i much prefere the way the car drives with 16's

Any help leading me in the right direction much appreciated guys

Cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
330s can fit under at least one 16" with a spacer. I'd keep it simple and go abit smaller so it's a direct bolt on.

Apex have a 304mm 6pot kit designed for 16" wheels. Check the group buy forum.

Garef

Yeah, have to agree, get the hi-spec 4pots, great choice.

I'm sure Braveheart has Wilwoods on his R under 16's and he uses them for trackdays only.

GTi-R23

I've got Wilwood 4-pots and 310mm discs under my 16's, fit no bother.

I'd save your money and go for a big brake set-up mate, pointless wasting your money rebuilding standard calipers imho.

dumpstar85

GTi-R23 said:
I've got Wilwood 4-pots and 310mm discs under my 16's, fit no bother.

I'd save your money and go for a big brake set-up mate, pointless wasting your money rebuilding standard calipers imho.
see ive heard good things about wilwood and they look quite tasty.. do you have to buy direct off them or is their a retailer?

Cheers guys

5GTIR

I have a godspeed conversion on mine, its uses 300 x 22mm vented discs with brembo calipers. These brakes were on the car when I got it though the discs were cracked. I've replaced them now and have just finished running them in and gave them they're first 80mph-foot to the floor braking test yesterday, and I have to say I was amazed at how good they were. I dont know how much the whole kit is but its another option that I can say is definately worth a shout.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did you replace them with Godspeed discs again?
Assuming Ian supplied them, now long did he take?

5GTIR

Fast Guy said:
Did you replace them with Godspeed discs again?
Assuming Ian supplied them, now long did he take?
Yep, godspeed discs, I was really worried because everthing I read on here was negative about them but no one else seemed to do the right size. I ordered on the Wednesday and they arrived the next Monday, which seems to be a lot better then others have experienced. Mabys he's stepped up his game!

Animaldaz

5GTIR said:
Yep, godspeed discs, I was really worried because everthing I read on here was negative about them but no one else seemed to do the right size. I ordered on the Wednesday and they arrived the next Monday, which seems to be a lot better then others have experienced. Mabys he's stepped up his game!
Thats good to know as ill need some new rotors soon, although mine are 308mm. As far as price you'll be looking at around £1000 for the full kit.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
5GTIR said:
I doubt it:lol: How long ago was this? I ordered about January and recieved (most of the kit, never got it all) in April. Do you live near him? I sometimes think he won't take the piss out of people he thinks might be able to pop round and see him.

310x32s may fit depending on the disc offset and wheel spoke design. The 330x32 would only just not fit under my Volks. I'm pretty sure 310s would have. (Possibly needing a slight spacer)