brake upgrades

Fire & skill

Vintage member
sorry to bring this old topic back up but i just had to mention this! :D

went to look at a GtiR - fresh import, it had a list of mods done to it and this is the thing - had evo3 brakes fitted to it, after speaking to the guy he took the wheel off and from what he could see it looked like they bolted straight on without any modifications :?

anyone heard of this being done here?

ram5ay

Fire & skill said:
anyone heard of this being done here?
Don't know, but the one thats been at my work for ages finally sold (think you had a look over it at some point?), so will take a few measurements when I give it a prep & service and let yous know how it looks :wink: .

Think ur motors sorted btw.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
ram5ay said:
yeah! just spoke to pete!! - he even fixed the boost leak i had that was causing the eratic idle 8) what a guy. i'll need to get him some beers as he was too cheap. i couldnt wait to see the back of it when it went for repair but i'm really looking forward to getting it back 8) 8) .

the car with the evo3 brakes is at calders - i've heard that early evo brakes are really good. i'm going to try and source some while the car is off the road and i'll try to make a step by step guide

paz

Fire & skill said:
ram5ay said:
yeah! just spoke to pete!! - he even fixed the boost leak i had that was causing the eratic idle 8) what a guy. i'll need to get him some beers as he was too cheap. i couldnt wait to see the back of it when it went for repair but i'm really looking forward to getting it back 8) 8) .

the car with the evo3 brakes is at calders - i've heard that early evo brakes are really good. i'm going to try and source some while the car is off the road and i'll try to make a step by step guide
bump - any news on this fella?

Paz

Fire & skill

Vintage member
well its on the back burner - just for a little while, i got a new R so i'm doing the usual suspects first, boost controller, fuel pump, front mount etc then i'm onto the brakes, will be sourcing them soon!!! will also be trying to find out if any other mitsy used the same brake set up

paz

:( I'll need some new brakes soon I reckon, and am not paying silly money for a set of 4 pots :( :lol: was hoping you'd be a bit further ;)

Paz

gtir bean

early vr4 brakes are the same but i think the pistons are slightly smaler or something like that.a shogun etc might have the same callipers?

ashills

evo breaks are about 275 on the early cars
they are very good with the right pads mine were brilliant at bruntingtorpe even stopping from 165+ but u def need the right pads as mintex etc will fade very easily

Fire & skill

Vintage member
ashills said:
evo breaks are about 275 on the early cars
they are very good with the right pads mine were brilliant at bruntingtorpe even stopping from 165+ but u def need the right pads as mintex etc will fade very easily
are they 4 pots mate?

gtir bean

just like a gtir calliper but bigger with 2 pistons.you can get new disks for just over £100 i think too.