Battery Box

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Animaldaz said:
So steve, you only ran one cable to the front with an inline 300amp fuse right?. Its just ive read another how to and that person ran 2 cables to the front, 1 to the original battery lead unfused and the other to the accessories terminal (original red block) with a 150amp fuse. How did you connect the accessorie wiring?
mounted one of these terminals to the passengerside inner wheel arch

then connected the original live battery cable that goes to the starter motor to one post and the new cable which leads to the battery in the boot boot, to the other post.

ashills said:
ive never put fuses on the cable when relocating the battery to the boot most of the people i know with them have had grief with the fuse blowing when cranking car etc only thing i had that was handy on evo was a kill switch under bonnet as when working on car its a 2 second job to cut power
The only reason I put a fuse inline was in "just in case" the insulation on the battery cable was broken and the cable earthed on the body somewhere, which could cause a fire or at worse an exploding battery and I didn't really want that right over the petrol tank. I think the secret is the 300 amp fuse is why it doesn't blow on cranking. I also incorporated a kill switch into the battery box ;-) very handy.

Animaldaz

ard1ey said:
This bit caught my eye:

Don't do this mate, if the unfused lead ever does short out somewhere the battery can explode, or the cable could catch fire. Do like Steve says and install fuses on all the runs to the front of car as close to the battery as you can. Whether you do one or two runs is down to the cable size you choose.
Thats what i thought, think ill go for one beefy cable with a 300amp fuse. I know there is a high draw during cold cranking but being a low compression engine i would have thought 300amp is sufficient.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yeah, it goes from the battery > isolator > 300amp fuse > junction box > engine

I mounted my isolator and fuse carrier on the side of the battery box, then the feed of cable to the front of the car

snoon

stevepudney said:
Lee, all I did was cut the round post terminal off the end of the original posi battery cable and soldered one of these on in it's place

then mounted one of these terminals to the driverside inner wheel arch

conected the original live battery cable to one post and the new cable which leads to the boot, to the other post.

The original earth strap that comes off the block I soldered one of these on it

and bolted it to the shelf (where the battery used to sit).

Then mounted the new battery box in the boot (bolting it straight to the boot floor and sealing with mastic). Drill another hole in the boot floor near the new batt box and put a bolt in the hole so the head of the bolt is on the underside of the floor and the threaded part sticking up into the boot, this will act as an earth stud. Put the new battery in the box and take a short black cable from the earth post on the battery to the new earth stud in the boot floor.

I also put one of these 300 amp fuses inline on the positive cable, mounted on the battery box.

And because the battery is in a box and it's a pain in the bottom to take the lid of the battery box off every time you want to disconect the battery I put one of these in the positive cable as well

Also if you shrink wrap all the joints on the cable it makes a really neat job of it :wink:

Another little tip, when you feed the Positive cable through the bulkhead, make sure you have a rubber gromet in the bulkhead hole to protect the cable, could be a nasty fire starter :wink: Even though I've protected the positive cable where ever I can, this is the reason for the 300 amp fuse, just in case it does short out somewhere.

All the bits are available from that website I showed you :wink:
Whats this website Steve? I need all these bits.

Cheers

Animaldaz

I was thinking of putting the isolator in the interior, maybe hiding it in the glovebox. I would obviously still fit the fuse close to the battery.

91_GTi-R

is there anyway i could get someone to purchase a terminal like this one and then send it to me in canada cause they dont ship to here

let me know cheers
alex

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
91_GTi-R said:
is there anyway i could get someone to purchase a terminal like this one and then send it to me in canada cause they dont ship to here

let me know cheers
alex
Left over from the days where I used to make the battery boxes and then sell the whole "battery in the boot kit"...............

I think, apart from the battery box I have a complete "kit" in the workshop with all the bits necessary, there should be one of those terminal blocks in there...................

Animaldaz

Ive just got all the bits i need bar the box from Lucas uk. All the parts are out of the Durite catalogue, not sure if they are available overseas

STU666V

Hi,

I just got some parts to put my battery in the boot, I got the fuse holder but could not see a 300amp fuse? (Mega fuse? part number MEGA250 but can't see a MEGA300? Was the 300 amp fuse from vehicle wiring products?
Cheers

snoon

STU666V said:
Hi,

I just got some parts to put my battery in the boot, I got the fuse holder but could not see a 300amp fuse? (Mega fuse? part number MEGA250 but can't see a MEGA300? Was the 300 amp fuse from vehicle wiring products?
Cheers

They still did them about 2 months ago when i ordered, although the part wasn't listed on the website they still sent it.

I just asked for a 300, and they sent a 300.

Animaldaz

Im running with a 150amp mega fuse at the moment and so far its not blown. I bought a 250amp just in case it does.

Braveheart

When I bought my bits and bobs, there was no 300amp fuse listed but felt that the 250amp would be fine. The smaller rating of fuse the less chance of fire.
If Animaldaz has managed with a 150 amp, should be fine with the 250.

GTi-R23

Yeah I use a 200A fuse with no problems, ideally the smaller fuse the better (As long as it doesn't clear under normal use of course)

STU666V

Ok Thanks,

Will the standard battery be fine? It is not going in the boot! It's going just where the passengers seat was, Maybe 1.5 to 2 mtrs away?

Thanks

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
STU666V said:
Ok Thanks,

Will the standard battery be fine? It is not going in the boot! It's going just where the passengers seat was, Maybe 1.5 to 2 mtrs away?

Thanks
No, it will struggle, treat yourself to a new one from something like a 2ltr diesel, I bought one that was supposed to be for a pug 405 diesel from Halfrauds about 2 years ago