arc top mount info required

P

pulsarboby

this is quite interesting actually!

now i thought that on a rolling road (dyno) that an intercooler would not perform as well as it would on the road (especially a topmount) due to the restricted airflow and engine temp.

now if you fitted an inner scoopp to the topmount then surely it would get a far better airflow and charge temp, probably enough to be a match for a fmic.

but cannot see how these results could be achieved on a dyno setup, which going back to what kieron suggested earlier, would be interesting to see what the difference was between a standard tmic and an arc on a dyno.

somehow due to restricted airflow i dont think there will be nothing in it, but on the road i reckon the arc would come into its own!

marcymarc

pulsarboby said:
this is quite interesting actually!

now i thought that on a rolling road (dyno) that an intercooler would not perform as well as it would on the road (especially a topmount) due to the restricted airflow and engine temp.

now if you fitted an inner scoopp to the topmount then surely it would get a far better airflow and charge temp, probably enough to be a match for a fmic.

but cannot see how these results could be achieved on a dyno setup, which going back to what kieron suggested earlier, would be interesting to see what the difference was between a standard tmic and an arc on a dyno.

somehow due to restricted airflow i dont think there will be nothing in it, but on the road i reckon the arc would come into its own!

Dont they put a big duct thing on the vent of top mount cars when they get rolling roaded?

P

pulsarboby

dont know lol
ive never managed to get to those dizzy heights:lol:
i know they put a fan blower over the front but thats not the same as direct forced airflow

youngsyp

You could always try lagging the top mount end tanks and making a heatshield to go between it and the rocker cover ?!

I'm in the process of doing this right now. I've had a heatshield under the 'cold side' of the TMIC for a number of years now and that did reduce heatsoak when stationary.

I've just bought some self adhesive reflective heat tape that, when I've polished the end tanks of the TMIC will apply to further reduce heat soak. I'll also apply some to the front edge of the TMIC so, any hot air coming from the rad when driving, won't warm it up. And, I'll make a full length heatsheild between it and the rocker cover from thin aluminium sheet, possibly making a lip at the front to re-direct any hot air coming from the front of the car.
This is all a very cheap way of possibly making small gains. Once this is done, I then need to disconnect the throttle body heating, to further help things. Then get a thermal intake gasket.....

This worked very well on my GT Four, with the charge cooler and is now a very common mod for said car. In fact, it worked so well that the chargecooler was physically cold to the touch after a drive !

Another way of helping the TMIC indirectly, is to remove the rubber sealing strip at the back of the engine bay, between the bonnet and the scuttle. You can see the resultant drop in under bonnet temps very easily by a drop in oil temperature. Mine now sits at about 95 degrees C, on a 80-85 mph cruise, whilst the turbo is boosting (under load etc...) At a 70-75 mph cruise, it sits at about 85 degrees C !

Just a thought or two !