500 BHP???!!

M

mikeyg

Hi,

I'm look for some help. I plan to build myself a 500-550bhp R and am trying to decide on what spec the engine needs to be. More to the point, i need help chosing a turbo and manifold. Also, it would eb helpful if you guys could suggest what are the best pistons/con rods to go for?

I have a lot of experiance with turbo cars, just not Nissans!!

The criteria i am trying to keep to is this:

Keep to 2ltr's, keep the c/r ratio at around 8.0:1, try and keep the turbo as small as possible so she is not to laggy (I know thats gonna be near impossible!!)

All the othe things i will need are not a probelm, brakes and clutch etc. Its just the engine mods i can't decide on?!!

Cheers people.

S

Sirnixalot

I hope youve budgeted a transmission in with this.

Manifold....any thick runner equal length with a proper merge collector will do.

the 56 Trim HKS GT3037 or the Garrett GT30R will just support 500bhp. If you want more headroom you want the HKS GT3240 or the Garrett GT35/40R

M

mikeyg

Yeah,

Just spoke to Norris about a quaife box!!!

Any ideas who makes a good manifold with a seperate waste gate as some of the ones i have seen arn't so great?

Also, what pistons on rods are the best? I have used carrilo rods and acrilite pistons before but that was in an Audi.

Cheers.

E

Edd

I have a modified HKS s14 manifold which has been modified for an HKS external wastegate and HKS GT3037S turbo and the manifold has been ceramic coated.
running on a 2.2 stroker kit, hoping for 450+ on 1.5bar
pm me if u need anymore info

A

antilag

and theres the greddy option for a manifold too talk noddy engine

S

Sirnixalot

also i dont think you will help the lag by lowering the compression. The standard 8.3:1 is plenty safe.

M

mikeyg

I was thinkng that i should keep it at 8.3:1 although i'm a little shy now as i did try 9:1 on my Audi but got it very wrong and bent a rod as well as cracking the block and head. Oopps!!!

Ah well. If at first you don't succeed, get advice!!!!

S

Sirnixalot

lowering the compression doesnt prevent stuff like that from happening. Your tuning does have to be more precise with the higher compression ratio. Just make sure your tuner is good and dont run any more than 1.2bar on optimax and you will be fine.

M

mikeyg

I think the Audi was just bad luck, waste gate pipe came of!!

I have a plan of attack now so will be starting my build soon.

Thanks for the advice.

nismoboy

Sirnixalot said:
lowering the compression doesnt prevent stuff like that from happening. Your tuning does have to be more precise with the higher compression ratio. Just make sure your tuner is good and dont run any more than 1.2bar on optimax and you will be fine.
Why dont u advise running more than 1.2 bar? hes gonna do the rods and pistons so surely he can run 2bar if set up correctly?

S

Sirnixalot

1.2bar with 8.3:1 CR on forged pistons is nearing the threshhold of detonation dependent on the tuning. I wouldnt advise running more than that on pump gas like Optimax. I know more can be run but you will get reduced piston ring life and maybe detonation which kills pistons.

With the forged pistons you will still get detonation but these pistons will be more resistant to it. You can still kill forged pistons, its just alot harder.

I wouldnt run more than 1.2bar on the stuff i get here ...which turns out is 98ron as well. When i get my forged 9.0:1 CR pistons i will be dropping it down to a max of 0.8bar on 98ron. You dont need as much boost to make similar power (with much better torque figures)

A

Anonymous

mikeyg said:
I'm look for some help. I plan to build myself a 500-550bhp R and am trying to decide on what spec the engine needs to be. More to the point, i need help chosing a turbo and manifold. Also, it would eb helpful if you guys could suggest what are the best pistons/con rods to go for?

Keep to 2ltr's, keep the c/r ratio at around 8.0:1, try and keep the turbo as small as possible so she is not to laggy (I know thats gonna be near impossible!!)
imho,i wouldn`t just buy a hks gt%%%% whatever model.i prefer to ask the turbo manufacturer to supply the turbo for a given power level once they have the spec of your car and the parameters that you have set.

you`ll need a fair size of turbo to flow enough air for those power levels but lag can be kept to a minimum by careful lightening and balancing of the bottom end.wouldn`t bother with knife edging the crank though.

you`ll also need a minimum of 1000cc injectors if you`re heading for 550 bhp.

i`ve been using hks pistons to good effect for quite a while now and arp bolts will sort out the bottom end.uprated block bolts would also be of benefit as i once managed to stretch the std 1`s.

i know for def that,dp motorsport can help with the block bolts,lightening and balancing of the bottom end,manufacture of the manifold and turbo specs if required.

cmng

Edd said:
I have a modified HKS s14 manifold which has been modified for an HKS external wastegate and HKS GT3037S turbo and the manifold has been ceramic coated.
running on a 2.2 stroker kit, hoping for 450+ on 1.5bar
pm me if u need anymore info

Just wondering what mod you need to to to make it fit ?

I have one spare HKS Manifold for S14 which is flanged with wastegate.
maybe worth to try if small fitment work only

S

Sirnixalot

@ 3 bar of fuel pressure 950cc injectors will support 560bhp @ 85% duty cycle and 0.55 brake specific fuel consumption.
1000cc injectors will support 580bhp @ 85% duty cycle and 0.55 brake specific fuel consumption.

I believe that turbo selection and engine building should be done with each seperate component in mind.

Here is what i would do for 550bhp...between 1.6and 2 bar

Fuel/Ignition system
Walbro 150lph intank fuel pump
Aeromotive 700bhp EFI inline fuel pump
Sard or Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
-6AN fuel lines
JGY fuel rail
Sard 1000cc injectors
TEC 3 engine managment (Or similar standalone with MSD digital 6 ignition, i like the tec because of the distributorless ignition)

Head Work
Tomei 270* 12.5mm lift cams
Tomei Cam gears
Ferrea valve springs and titanium retainers
Ported and polished head, semi race job
Gasflowed intake manifold
Knife edged throttle blades
ARP head studs (dream for now)
Tomei 1mm head gasket

Bottom end
Lightened and balanced rotating assembly
New Nissan Bearings & gaskets
Crower forged rods
Arias, JE or CP forged 9.0:1CR pistons

Exhaust/Turbo
HKS GT3240
Tial 46mm wastegate
Custom thick and short runner exhaust manifold (around 12inch long runners and 1 5/8" in diameter, minimum runner material thickness 3.6mm)
3" mandrel bent exhaust from turbo outlet to exhaust tip

Drag race Transmission
Standard flywheel
Helix or AP paddle clutch
PAR 1/2dog or Quaife gearset
Nismo front and rear LSD

Road race transmission
OS Giken dual plate (paddle) clutch and flywheel (if you want some slip put an organic plate on the flywheel side and the cerametallic plate on the pressure plate side)
Par 1/2dog or Quaife gearset
(the Nismo diffs will introduce higher levels of understeer so this is up to you)

Drag Brakes/wheels
Standard calipers
Goodridge braided lines
Slotted rotors
Semi race pads
Any light 14x8 or 9 all around the offset will need to be a low number...like 25mm...these will stick out from the wings
Your favorite slicks
Dot 5.1 brake fluid

Road race Brakes/wheels
AP 300mm 4pot kit (slotted rotors)
Goodridge braided lines
Semi race pads
Dot 5.1 brake fluid
Light 16x7 wheel in 33+ offset
Your favorite race tire

M

mikeyg

Thanks guys,

I'm currently looking at the Motec M4 mangment which i think should be up to the job. As for the injectors, i was toying with the idea of running 8 and keeping them smaller but then i'm thinking that an inlet manifold will be a lot of grief to build!!

As for the diffs, understeer is all wrong. Over steer is the order of the day!!! So i think i will give the nismo diffs a miss.

M

madMATT

500bhp!!

blimey your mad just seen tuning japanese's yellow pulsar on net there running 434bhp but i dont think this is full boost 01252 328080 watch em . have personally met this guys they are diamonds last time i was up in aldershot they had a rally prepared scooby on the roller fick it was awesome also they build ferrari type racecars!!!! check out www.tuningjapaneseco.uk and find yellow pulsar movie.also checkout the evo and s2000.but it will take alogt of dollar and maybe a t88 turbo which will run 3 bar

J

J-GTi-R

There's plenty of mixed reports about Tuning Japanese, so approach with caution :?