310mm brakes

Trip

I am after the smallest wheel possible with an above average wheel width to fit under 310mm brake kit.

I know there are around a million posts related to this, but i would like to know if the clerance issue is with the inner diamter of the wheels or the offset clearance between spoke and caliper ?

I really wish to put 15" with 30offset but if diameter is the issue i have no choice to go for 16" with 35offset.

I have a choice between wilwood and hispec calipers. Which would give better clearance between the two ?

Should i assume that if the front wheels fit, the rear will fit too ? The rear are 310mm rotors/bells and flanges to fit the standard calipers.

Thanks

vss irvine

wilwood and hi spec are not the best calipers for minimal caliper to wheel clearance.

if you were to use ap racing rally spec calipers, you could get 330mm discs under some 16inch wheels

theres lots of different combonations out there, but you really wont know unless you mock everything up first.

also on the rear, the spindles sit out 10mm more from the hubs than the front do. this to is increase the rear track to meet the front.

so in theory if you used the rear spindles on the front it would increase the front track by another 10mm aswell.

Last edited:

Garef

I think that Scott (Braveheart) uses Wilwoods under his wheels. I just can't remember whether they are 15's or 16's and what size his brakes are. PM him, he will be able to give you a good explanation for this subject. He also used his for tracks days, so if stopping power is the issue, I know he's more than happy with them even if they are smaller.

Braveheart

I have wilwood 285mm midlight brake kit on the front and run 15" rims.
As you can see from the pic, I have just under 15mm clearance to the rim and about 4 mm to the spokes.
Wheel is Team Dynamics with et37.
This kit did not fit under my Buddy Club 15" rims with et42 as the caliper fouled on the spokes so I run them with 10mm spacers. Have about the same 15mm clearance to the rim.
You will be hard pushed to fit a 310mm kit under 15".
The wilwood 285mm kit is ok.... I would like a bit more braking but really want to keep running with 15" rims.
I've had 5 track sessions with the kit and they have bed in well. On my second set of pads.

Trip

wilwood and hi spec are not the best calipers for minimal caliper to wheel clearance.

if you were to use ap racing rally spec calipers, you could get 330mm discs under some 16inch wheels
Agreed on this. Since hillclimb races over here are not really focused on speed, 330mm would be an overkill, also, i cannot justify (with my self) the price increase of AP calipers to be used only for a total of around 60minutes a year. :doh:

Although I prefer the 15" for less unsprun weight, lower ratio, and better accelaration, I did not find 15" with the right offset, width and lightweight.

My ideal wheel so far is the Rota Slipstream 16x8 ET34 and are lightweight too.

this is what i mean by hillclimb races here. This was the last event we had this year. my friends are running a rally spec scooby and a DAX AWD with cossi turbo engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawXquQbYk8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuWwCzgW_6c

Trip

I have wilwood 285mm midlight brake kit on the front and run 15" rims.
As you can see from the pic, I have just under 15mm clearance to the rim and about 4 mm to the spokes.
If the ratios are all linear a 16inch wheel would give a 15mm + 1inch = 40mm clearance. Since the brakes are 25mm bigger, it should work out 40mm - 25mm = 15mm clearance.

In theorey 310mm should fit under 16" and not under 15"

nickr

www.fastbrakes.com has a 11.75" kit with 2 piece rotors (12lbs) and wilwood dynalites that fit under certain 15" wheels. Email Brian at fastbrakes and he can tell you what wheel specs you need to fit the kit. Check out the nx2000/sentra b13 front kits. He's got a selection of kits for decent pricing.

noriek2003

you will get 310's under 16's easily. I've been told that the willwood 310's will fit certain 15's pm, bracpan and ask him as he knew a guy that hillclimbs with that set up.

if you run a 40 profile tyre on 16's you would have pretty much the same rolling radius as the original 14's, find a light set and you wouldn't have to worry about unsprung weight anyways.

MarkTurbo

310mm wilwoods will go under 15's with the right wheel. Most of the time its not inner wheel diameter thats the problem its getting a wheel with decent spoke clearance ;-)

Braveheart

310mm wilwoods will go under 15's with the right wheel. Most of the time its not inner wheel diameter thats the problem its getting a wheel with decent spoke clearance ;-)

It may just be about do-able.
If I have 15mm clearance to the rim using the 285mm kit and you were to increase to 310mm then that's an increase of 25mm and if you devide that by two then it's 12.5mm. 12.5mm being the increased measurement from hub centre to disk outer rim.
Here's another couple of pics of the wilwood 285mm kit under 15" rims.
Buddy Club P1's with 10mm spacers fitted to clear spokes.

Mr GTiR

iirc Buddyclub 15" are only available in 15 x 6.5, that's why they do no fit aftermarket brakes without spacers.

Willwood 310mm under 16"

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Markturbo has 330s under 16" compomotive mos and he needed a spacer. Taking 25mm off that you leave you with 305s and 15s, so I think you'd be very lucky to get 310s under 15s and even then you'd probably need a big spacer.

Mr GTiR

what offset are those OZ Superlaggera ?
Ahhh good point as I do not know. I've got rid of the 16" Superlaggera and now have 17" OZ Superlaggera.

I'll check for you. If I don't post on this thread in afew days please drop me a pm to remind me.

dencon

310 brakes

I run with 310 Willwoods under 15" Rota Slipstream shod with Toyo 888 soft compound tyres using a 5mm spacer.

Trip

I run with 310 Willwoods under 15" Rota Slipstream shod with Toyo 888 soft compound tyres using a 5mm spacer.
:thumbsup: Would you mind sharing some pics and the width and offset of the 15" rota slipstream please.

Last edited:

dencon

310 brakes

I have about 3mm clearance on the rota wheels, you have to put any balancing weights well to the inside of wheel.I am not sure what the ET is but I will check tomorrow and get back. I think they are 40, you can get slipstreams with ET 28.This should give a little more clearance.