!!!!!17"s!!!!!!

gtir bean

my exedy 6 padle is sprung.a padle clutch is fine if you dont side step the clutch everywhere.i think most boxes break due to the way they are driven as much as wear etc.

Mr GTiR

kirko said:
drunkard tw4t
Yep, that's stumo down to a T.

MarkTurbo said:
I must be doing other peoples share of breaking boxes then :lol: Despite what people say the gearboxes are fragile ;-) The teeth arent that strong, most box failures ive seen are usually down to stripping teeth off gears. And then theres the selector forks too, they arent much better :lol:
The stripping of the teeth is down to how people drive thgeir cars and the respect or lack of given to a box.

Drag racing does not help the box or clutch as it puts a lot of uneccessary strain on the transmission.

With regards to paddle cluthes, you can't slip them which is gradually feeding thepower to the box. A paddle is just on and off so again puts a lot of uneccessary strain on the next componet.

MarkTurbo

Mr GTiR said:
The stripping of the teeth is down to how people drive thgeir cars and the respect or lack of given to a box.
A 4x4 turbo car isnt built just to p1ss about going down the shops in, the whole point of cars like this is to drive them hard. If you have to fanny about being nice to the gearbox to stop it breaking then whats the point :doh: Nissan should have designed it so you could drive the car as it was meant to be driven and beefed up the box a bit :lol:

P

pulsarboby

main reason these boxes break is coz there shite:roll: fitting a quickshifter will shorten its life as you will be far more aggressive with gear changes, paddle clutch will shorten its life as someone has already pointed out, its either on or off!

but as markie has said, quote: if you want a shopping car buy a micra or whatever! if you want a fast car, then drive it till it breaks and get another box, there built to be driven and fixed when you break it:thumbsup:

O

Odin

I think the people here who are saying that paddles are just on off are talking a right load of old bollox, I've had loads of paddle clutches and have been able to slip them in if you are careful how you take your foot off the clutch, Most of you lot are probably to week limb-ed to be able to do it though :roll: :roll: :roll: , I have no trouble driving mine around town if I so wish ;-) .

Rob

GTiR_Mic

I have a Quafie, Paddle Clutch & a B&M Short Shifter and I have no problems at all driving around town. I have had it jerk a few times but that is me just getting used to it. Also my RPS Paddel clutch is Sprung.

Mic

gtir bean

my paddle clutch is fine in town.it does bite but you can still slip it.they are only on/off if you let it be like that.its rated for 450 lbf and its not that stiff on the pedal either.

M

m34ts_pulsar

ive got the AP Paddle clutch.. like you say jerky at first but im used to mine now you just have to get use to the bite.. clutch control may be a bit harder but in the long run there gonna last way longer than a standed, in you can hammer launches and not worry about them slipping ;-)

o and merry crimbo!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well i think its down to a few things really.. I've seen some std boxes been given some serious abuse and live.

Oils - use Redine MT90. Its probably the best shock resistant oil for your gearbox. Believe it or not but this will help

Clutches - Organics are far less aggresively engaged and so kinder to the gear kit. Paddles are more agressive so as above use a good oil to help. Its mainly the twin plate clutches that are unsprung as at high pressures and rpm the springs can break/release from the plate etc..

Weight - less weight in your car, the less load build up on your drivetrain before the car moves loaded energy is released.

Tyres - the more contact surface area between tyre and road the more energy needed needed to spin the wheels to release on launch thus more loading on the gearkit.

Those are some pointers.

Rishi

jimjpe61

MarkTurbo said:
A 4x4 turbo car isnt built just to p1ss about going down the shops in, the whole point of cars like this is to drive them hard. If you have to fanny about being nice to the gearbox to stop it breaking then whats the point :doh: Nissan should have designed it so you could drive the car as it was meant to be driven and beefed up the box a bit :lol:
IMHO the gearbox is fine for standard torque so long as you have mechanical sympathy. If you batter the cr4p outta it all the time then yes, it's going to fail.

When I had my Sunny GTI-R I bought it with a FSH which reassured me that a) the previous owners were bothered enough to actually take care of it, and b) the gearbox oil had been changed when it was supposed to be.

I owned the car for 3 years without so much as a single crunch from the gearbox. The car ran fairly standard power (filter and decat exhaust) and got driven hard from time to time but was also repsected - warm up and down, proper gearchanges, etc. Like your engine, your gearbox needs to warm up before a thrashing.

The car isn't designed for maximum attack 110% of the time. If that's what you want then you'll get the most enjoyment by stripping the car, fit a lightweight carbon bucket seat or two and run 15" alloys. Reducing the weight of the car will improve gearbox longevity. Ironically, fitting much grippier tyres will reduce gearbox life, as small amounts of wheelspin allow the drivetrain to discharge some energy that would otherwise be held in the gearbox when accelerating. If you want a useable road car then you have to compromise IMHO unless you're willing to pay mega-bucks to uprate stuff.

My Skyline's the same. It's a heavily breathed-on road car running 500bhp on a standard gearbox. The 'box CAN take launches quite happily but doing it over and over again WILL kill it. It's only made out of metal and has moving parts - so it WILL eventually go. So I don't batter it everywhere. Just as much fun can be had with in-gear acceleration so long as you have good mid-range torque :)

Conversely, if you want to batter it all the time then maybe you should fit a Dakar 'box? Cheaper than a Quaife....

skiddusmarkus

GtiR is based on fwd layout so engine runs across the engine bay rather than along the length of the car.This seriously shortens the length of the gearbox meaning everything inside has to be less beefy compared to rwd/properly laid out awd vehicles.No way round this short of new configuration or having a 4 speed box with thicker gears.

And yes I think they have shit gearboxes.Noone will convince me otherwise.It's only a matter of time before yours goes and then you too will believe.

Keira

skiddusmarkus said:
And yes I think they have shit gearboxes..
thats because quite simply they are

anyone thats having trouble understanding that should pull one apart and have a look at what nissan used to build it with, absolutely everything in there is pants, its more luck than anything else whether it will break, you could snap the 3-4 selector fork by looking at it for to long :lol:

jimjpe61

deisel weasel said:
you could snap the 3-4 selector fork by looking at it for to long :lol:
PMSL :D

All I'm saying is that it's a piece of mechanical equipment. Used hard, it'll live a short life. Just the same as you can stand by two cars that were identical when they came off the factory line. Both with 60,000 miles on the clock and one can drive and look like almost new and the other can look and drive like a shed. All to do with how they've been treated.

It's interesting that Nissan felt it necessary to fit the UK cars with a gearbox cooling scoop that went just under the front bumper (these have to be removed to fit the bumperguard) but the domestic Jap Pulsars didn't need one.

I've often wondered whether fitting a thermostatically-controlled gearbox oil cooler (inc. oil pump) would notably prolongue (sp?) a Pulsar's gearbox life? Nissan did the same with the Skyline GT-Rs that were officially imported into the UK - pumped oil coolers for front and rear diff as well as gearbox...

O

Odin

jimjpe61 said:
I've often wondered whether fitting a thermostatically-controlled gearbox oil cooler (inc. oil pump) would notably prolonged a Pulsar's gearbox life? Nissan did the same with the Skyline GT-Rs that were officially imported into the UK - pumped oil coolers for front and rear diff as well as gearbox...

That's why when I had my quaife box rebuilt I had it plumbed for an oil cooler at the same time, I haven't got around to fitting a pump yet though but its on my to do list when the engine comes back from Agra ;-) .

Oh and that was 3 years ago I had cooler inlet and outlets fitted ;-) , So I'm way ahead of the rest of you losers :thumbsup: .

Rob

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Odin said:
Oh and that was 3 years ago I had cooler inlet and outlets fitted ;-) , So I'm way ahead of the rest of you losers :thumbsup:
You nobber :lol:

I had a gearbox oil cooler and pump on my car about 6 years ago :doh:

Didn't make a blind bit of difference either :lol:

O

Odin

oap-r said:
Didn't make a blind bit of difference either :lol:

SO how would the silly old fool that spunked over a 100k on a pulsar in ten years know anything, After all in all those years you've probably been through 3 different types of gearbox but only driven 50 miles because you keep buying worthless 5hite that doesn't work anyway :shock: :shock: :der: :der: :der: :der: .

So how would you know what the long term benefits are of an oil cooler on the gearbox with so few actual driving miles under your belt, Maybe you could comment on how good all those hire cars have been over the years though, You must be an expert on them by now lol.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Odin said:
SO how would the silly old fool that spunked over a 100k on a pulsar in ten years know anything, After all in all those years you've probably been through 3 different types of gearbox but only driven 50 miles because you keep buying worth 5hite that doesn't work anyway :shock: :shock: :der: :der: :der: :der: .
Can this be described as another bite from thunderpants?

Listen knob jockey,don't get all flustered because you thought you were first :doh:

2nd isn't that bad :lol: :lol: :lol: