1/4 Mile Times

Was at Santa Pod yesterday at the Ultimate Street Car event and decided to go up the 1/4 mile for the first time. Unfortunately can't say I done the Rs proud. Had 3 runs and 14.2 is the best I got :cry:. Came up against an E46 M3 and took it off the line with a 5k rpm launch but shifted a bit early into 3rd and got passed. Realistically was expecting low 13s but just felt like I wasn't getting much grip and the car wasn't pulling as well as I know it can, eventhough it's running very rich at the moment and is crying for a remap. As far as I know, an R at 300 bhp should be able to eat those M3s all day. What kind of times do you guys get and at what power levels?

Last edited:

whytie

If you have 300bhp those are terrible times I'm afraid

ive only down quarter mile a few times and manage 12.6 with around 300bhp and that was at Crail not a grippy Santa pod

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
300hp r will do 12 sec .
Hasn't Carl done 12.06 with a reasonably standard car?

Some of that might be down to him having the reaction time of a cat.

Edit: Now that I look at his signature, that's a standard turbo maybe not so much a standard car.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Carls car is an rb that is stock but stripped with some light weight panels,or was...i am sure he will be along to correct us.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Carls car is an rb that is stock but stripped with some light weight panels,or was...i am sure he will be along to correct us.
So off the line like shit off a shovel, but running out of gears before you run out of road?

Now that I think about it, that's what was happening at TOTB; the little GTiR gets off the line and moving, then the bigger cars like the GTRs reel them in and pass them at the big end. - So it's easier to win a 1/8th drag than a 1/4 for us?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, pretty much spot on and I did a 12.06 with about 290-300ish bhp. ( Edit - filter/exhaust and 1bar boost)

As standard it did a 13.0something with 215bhp and some basic stripping (back seats, spare wheel etc)

It now has a bigger turbo and 339bhp, but I haven't run it down the strip in that configuration.

A 14s 1/4 is slower than standard so how were you launching it? Or Do you have a lot of extra weight ie Vpulsar in the boot?:lol:

PS redline it or there abouts all the way down the strip. ;)

What were your 60ft times? 1.8 is reasonable 1.6 is very good.

A 14s 1/4 is slower than standard so how were you launching it? Or Do you have a lot of extra weight ie Vpulsar in the boot?:lol:

PS redline it or there abouts all the way down the strip. ;)

What were your 60ft times? 1.8 is reasonable 1.6 is very good.
60 ft was 2.05. I didn't red line it cos I'm running a damn Mine's unit and there's no rev limiter, so I went with 5k at the launch and shifted at 7k or slightly below for all the gears. Car noticeably drops in power at about 80 mph. I know it can go faster cos I have a timing slip from the last owner showing mid 13s and he said he was taking it easy too. I'm quite obviously a shite driver lol

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
2.05 is a very poor start. Go for about 5.5-6K. Don't just hold the revs constant and launch, keep blipping the throttle and launch.

Yeh will defo push the car harder next time. Is 7 about the maximum I should go to for each gear or can it take more (I have forged pistons, arp rod bolts and acl bearings)?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Up to you. I redlined it everytime bar one on the standard engine and went abit slower when I used less revs. Can't remember what revs now, might have been 6500ish.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
What I would do is book in at a local dyno and have a few power runs to check the cars performance (or lack of) and then throw away the Mines ECU!