z32 maf

steven_c

the z32 maf, the uprated one for the pulsar what car does it come off? is it the 300zx?
if i get one from one of these cars will this work ok?

olliecast

standard will be ok if its fitted with a daughterboard as the vq map need to be changed to the z32 i.e. remapped as davey says above

steve963

Ive got an RB25 AFM to fit (like the Z32 but only good for 320ish IIRC). I also got emanage blue.

I guess if I swap this AFM for the std one, the ECU will be reading less air than it expects, and fuel less, so I need to increase fueling?

Also less air signal (meaning a slower burn) will make the std ecu advance timing more? ie from 20 before to 25 before TDC so i would also need to retard timing?

stumo

steve963 said:
Ive got an RB25 AFM to fit (like the Z32 but only good for 320ish IIRC). I also got emanage blue.

I guess if I swap this AFM for the std one, the ECU will be reading less air than it expects, and fuel less, so I need to increase fueling?

Also less air signal (meaning a slower burn) will make the std ecu advance timing more? ie from 20 before to 25 before TDC so i would also need to retard timing?

you can do 320 on the std AFM

Boooooost

I thought that the RB25 afm was the same as the 300ZX one 80mm?
I've seen RB26's running the RB25 afm's as an upgrade.

Fusion Ed

You can run about 320 on standard maf and just about maintain control. Though that is absolutely as much as you may get from it. I wouldn't bother with the RB25 one either. I max'ed one of those out very easily when I last mapped one of those.

S

steve_fctuning

yes, but ensure as above you get it remapped to suit or the car will run rich as hell and bore wash will occur.

Boooooost

the RB25 and Z32 maf resolutions are different.

however, you are correct in that the RB25DET is a good and cost effective upgrade for the RB26DET (its a cheaper alternative to the 400 quid Nismo AFM's whos resolutions is nigh on identicle to the Z32) why folk waste money on the Nismo's i have noooo idea. you may as well get twin Z32's if you own a Liner....

You can run RB25DET maf though on your SR20 no probs. ive mapped a few with this set up but the Z32 is really the one to go for if shooting above the 350whp mark

steve963

steve_fctuning said:
yes, but ensure as above you get it remapped to suit or the car will run rich as hell and bore wash will occur.

Boooooost

the RB25 and Z32 maf resolutions are different.

however, you are correct in that the RB25DET is a good and cost effective upgrade for the RB26DET (its a cheaper alternative to the 400 quid Nismo AFM's whos resolutions is nigh on identicle to the Z32) why folk waste money on the Nismo's i have noooo idea. you may as well get twin Z32's if you own a Liner....

You can run RB25DET maf though on your SR20 no probs. ive mapped a few with this set up but the Z32 is really the one to go for if shooting above the 350whp mark
I can adjust the fueling myself with my wideband and Emanage blue, but wont I need to adjust the timing?

Also wont it run lean as the Rb25MAF will show less voltage for a given air intake vs the std MAF, hence the ECU will fuel less?

S

steve_fctuning

adjusting fuelling is not so much of an issue when tuning, its TIMING thats absolutely critical.. you can have an engine with the correct afr for the given mods but if the timing is out the car aint going no where bro.

S

steve_fctuning

the only way to truly adjust and check timing accurately is on a dynomometer ( a Dyno basically) where you can hold the engine at different loads and check hp, afr, tractive effort and other bits n bobs which i wont bore you with ;)