your thoughts on porting the standard manifold

123 gtir

as above says i can get some one to port mine for about £90 £35 per hr i would do it myself but i dont have the tools i belive its good for 400bhp if you do this.
but should i go with buying aftermarket one if im spending £90 or more ??

any info plz would be good thx

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What is your goal?
What turbo do you have?

If you're not going for huge power, and you don't need to reposition everything to fit a massive turbo, then port it.
You won't get a good aftermarket one for that price, and why fit a cheap one that will crack and cause you more problems in the long-run... and why spend the money on a good aftermarket one if you don't need it?

johnsy

the autobahn88 manifold is pretty good for the money, i had my doubts at first but all is fine,

all ss manifolds will crack it just a matter of time and abuse ,

why not buy a dremel and port away till your hearts content

123 gtir

hi lads my turbo is a JGYBB37 - TO4B Compressor housing with 56 trim GT35 compressor wheel. , im hopeing for the 400 bhp and no more.
well there is some one on here selling a japspeed for £150.00 but i still dont think it will be as good as standard one.
any more thours be goos i was thinking of a dremel but will it do a good job?

keep you ideas coming in ,,,,,, chef

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Mine is ported well. Do I feel any difference, no, does it make more power, prob's not. Its one of those "feel good" things that we do.

It might make air flow better, but your not going to feel the difference from doing it.

Also for £90 I'm want to make sure it a good job done inside, I paid less that that for a nice smooth finish in mine!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
As Andy says above + the standard un-ported manifold will run 400 easily anyway..........spend £90 on getting something like the battery in the boot kit with a proper battery and the direct to battery fuel pump relay fitted. When the pump has a real 14 volts, that will put a proper smile on your face.........

123 gtir

i will take your advise lads i will keep to the standard manifold as i would love only 400 bhp

well for now :>

williams

As Andy says above + the standard un-ported manifold will run 400 easily anyway..........spend £90 on getting something like the battery in the boot kit with a proper battery and the direct to battery fuel pump relay fitted. When the pump has a real 14 volts, that will put a proper smile on your face.........
i hadnt even thought of doing that with a relay!!! battery is already in the boot. i will have to get on the case this week. cheers for that :thumbsup:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Simon, it's a mod for the walbro really, if you did it on the standard pump you'd probably kill it lol.

Just done this "how to" if your interested clicky

sypher

I don't have my R anymore so can't check ( poss' getting another if job stable ).. The standard fuel pump should have altenator voltage on it, if you have less then there is something holding the voltage back and thus the pump will spin slower producing less than optimal fuel presure.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
if you have less then there is something holding the voltage back and thus the pump will spin slower producing less than optimal fuel pressure.
In an ideal world, yes of course there should be alternator 13.5 - 14 volts at the pump but the vehicles are 20 years old and riddled with bad earth points, believe me it's a very worthwhile job if you combine it with re earthing the pump ...........

sypher

I have no doubt it's a worth while job, my post was saying regardless of which fuel pump is fitted the voltage drop will effect the speed and there for the amount of fuel flow. If you have and can use a multimeter (voltmeter) you can find and rectify the voltage drop / potential difference. wheter it be an earth point, relay contacts or a length of cable.

If the entire cable from the relay to the pump is resitive then the fix is to replace the cable, the same applies to the ground wire.