Wrapping intercooler pipes with exhaust wrap, worth it?

geoff pine

There not much you can do about the heat generated in the pipe but the reflective heat wrap should allow it to start cooling down as it leaves the tutbo as its reflecting the radiating heat of the engine and manifold. As it passes the hottest area under the bonnet .

Mr GTiR

IMO, Iwould not bother. For the money your going to spend on the wrap, you won't see/feel any benefit from it.

If you want to lag anything, then get the compressor side of the turbo done (if bigger than the stock T28) and also the exhaust elbow/down pipe.

dombat

Surely it's the radiant heat from the engine bay we need to worry about (such as the manifold cooking the pipe that passes in front of it (if your FMIC has that kind of piping)) so the reflective foil type must have some effect in reflecting this heat away?

Think the exhaust elbow/down pipe plan is a good one though, cheers.

GTIR-LOZ

my outlet pipe from my turbo passes over the manifold and it does get very hot indeed, i just need to get the whole pipe made in ally instead of half ally and half hose and i will wrap mine as it can only lead to lower temps entering the intercooler resulting in lower temps exiting the cooler

anyone know where to get ally intercooler pipes made up near southend???

Adam L

The intercooler is going to cool the air (that's what it's there for, remember) more than some reflective heat wrap, plus the air flows at such a rapid rate it's not going to have time to be heated up by the intercooler pipe.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be worth wrapping the pipe after the intercooler. It would realy depend on if the under bonnet temperature is higher than the temp inside the pipe or not.

If the airflow from outside can get onto the turbo compressor outlet above the manifold, it will help cool it slightly, but the intercooler is designed to do the job.

MORF114

Ive done mine to insulate the pipes from under bonnet tempretures if you look at heat wrap designed for wiring and hoses to keep heat out its all made out of fibreglass heat wrap, if i insulate it from a 2 degree intake temp rise id be happy, it must be helping a bit and i dont think it would keep engine bay heat into the pipes
I can always wrap it in thermo tec cool air tube heat shield or tape to help it some more, which i would like to do to the before intercooler pipe, id like to see when i take my car to be tuned what the temp is without reflective tape and after with the tape through my air temp sensor for my sm4.

MORF114

I'd also like to run a cryo2 setup for my intake charge looks like a pretty good kit and co2 is so cheap it may well be worth it $500 and a purge valve to show off to all the tossers at maccy d's.