WOBBLY OIL PRESSURE!

Shaun

:cry: Hi guy's,over the last week or so the standard oil pressure gauge has been fluctuating every now and again.When starting from cold,the pressure is around the number 6 and graduly drops to just above where the 2 would be.But sometimes if i drive the car from cold for a couple of mile and pull up at a set of lights it will drop to where the 1 would be and then climb back up to about 3-3.5.And every now and again it will drop to just below where the 2 is until i switch off the engine and the re-start it,where it will then rise to just above the 2 :!: :cry: Any ideas :?: I'm going to borrow my mates oil pressure tester next week,so i'll keep you updated :!:

W

wizgti

That does sound quite normal to me.

Do a search and you'll find other questions and answers about this before.

Ta
Andrew

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's supposed to be at least 0.98bar at idle a between about 3.5-4.5bar over 3200revs.
Start worrying when you read about 1bar over 3200 and pray it's just a faulty sender unit (like I do :p )

Shaun

:D Cheers for that guy's,i'm still worried though as it has always sat above the number 2 and always been very stable until recently.I thought that it might be due to the fact it was about 500 mile over due for an oil change as i was stretching it out until i fit my oilcooler,but since fitting it and putting a new oil filter and new oil in (millers 10/60) its still going wonkey :cry:

Shaun

:D Cheers Fastguy.Spoke to a mate of mine today,he used to have a 350Z,he said that nissan oil senders are prone to problems as he changed 2 senders on his old 'Z' with the same problem :!: So i'm keeping my fingers crossed :wink:

J

jaigtir

Dont mean to worry you mate, but i had the same problem, oil pump was totally buggered in the end putting a rod through the block and a new engine, thank you very much. This wasnt the sole factor of the rod through the block as i found out later when i got the engine examined. Lets just say a reputable comany claimed they had rebuilt the engine, but after the taking the rocker cover off it clearly has never been rebuilt, as i could pick up lumps of oil out of it :cry:. total bodge job. :evil:

J

jaigtir

Sorry guys, just warning you of what happened to mine, this contributed to the downfall of my engine, but wasnt the sole reason. Nabsq has just started having the same problem too, but i think he is ordering a new oil pump as his car has done 100,000 miles.

Hopefully you guys can get the problem sorted soon. :?