willwood relacement parts

GTIR-LOZ

hi have the 310mm kit and totally pissed off with it enough to consider buying hispecs as i keep warping the discs and the pad selection either are too hard or too soft and fade
there is only 1 type of disc you can buy and its not heavy duty

does anyone know of replacement rotors or pads that are not from rally designs, i have heard people running redstuff pads in theirs just wondered where these were from and if there are better discs avaliable before i get rid as 900 quid for hispecs is alot of money

also anyone know where to get hispecs cheap would be good

O

Odin

As the old saying goes you only get what you pay for fella, I don't rate the willwoods at all, I think the callipers are not man enough for the job and I don't like the way they are fitted either.

If you are planning on doing a lot of track days then you might be better off spending the extra cash on AP's.

Rob

PaulB

Rallydesign are a pain in the ar$e at times.

If you go to willwood direct you can choose from some more discs and pads.

After a bit of research and cross referencing I found a HD pair of grooved, and a pair of drilled and grooved. Also going to choose POLY B pads.

WILWOOD

This is my research, if you can call it that. All part numbers are in red

SRP Drilled Performance Rotors feature a specially engineered directional cross drill and face slot pattern that improve brake response and pad performance throughout the entire range of light to heavy braking

These ones are identical in every dimension to the standard ones supplied in the GTIR kit, I just cross referenced all the sizes to get a decent drilled and grooved disc.

Diameter Width Bolt Circle Hole Type Far Side I.D. Lug I.D. Weight LBS RotorType PartNumber
12.19" (309,6) .81" (20,6) 8 x 7.00" (177,8) .325" 8.50" (215,9) 6.38" (162,0) 8.8 RH 160-7103

12.19" (309,6) .81" (20,6) 8 x 7.00" (177,8) .325" 8.50" (215,9) 6.38" (162,0) 8.8 LH 160-7104

HEAVY DUTY GROOVED - this one has all dimensions the same other than FAR SIDE ID. I dont know what this is or how it would affect it, maybe worth checking with Wilwood.

12.19" (309,7) 0.81" (20,6) 8 x 7.00" (177,8) .325" 8.34" (211,8) 6.38" (162,0) 9.6 RH 160-8432

12.19" (309,7) 0.81" (20,6) 8 x 7.00" (177,8) .325" 8.34" (211,8) 6.38" (162,0) 9.6 LH 160-8433

POLY B PAD 15B-7264K

Im also going to use the high temp fluid, as my brake fluid boiled up on the trackday.

PaulB

Hmmm, I know what you say Rob, certainly not quite in the same league as AP`s etc, but I think they are a great upgrade for 99% of GTIR owners.

Having had mine on the track, the only thing that let me down was the fluid. Altho, Im going to get some new HD grooved discs, track pads, and hi boil fluid.

Il give it proper licks next time and see what its like.

sadsy

I had the red stuff pads in mine, i think id have had more of a bite if id used toast for pads!! Ive got the green stuff now and it easilly locks the wheels up, does me anyway

MarkTurbo

You wont get very good bite with redsuff pads until they're warm :doh: ;-) And you obviously dont drive your car very hard if you think greenstuff pads are ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not at all surprised to hear about wilwood discs warping ;-) Especially as they're thinner than a standard disc :der: Like Rob said you get what you pay for with these cheap kits! I drove an R last week with hi spec 4 pots and 285mm discs, even allowing for the fact that the pads didnt have much left on them they were shockingly crap for a set of 4 pots :shock:

GTIR-LOZ

i agree the discs are too thin and the greenstuffs are crap they do offer good bite but fade easily and the discs are crap
rob i agree with money no object aps are the best by far but for the money and especially if you can get better discs etc then the willwoods should be pretty good

paul B where did you find the disc sizes i looked on the wilwood link but i could not find the exact sizes and rally design do not even list them, i take it if there are from wilwood then you will have to order from the states??

i guess mark the hispecs where using the standard pad you get in the kit which is just meant as a replacement standard pad i guess some of the upgrades would be better

i would not say i drive my car particuarly hard but a couple of stops from 120+ and i would expect a brake kit to be able to cope with the temps etc

PaulB

Yeah the lug id was the same. The guy from rally design gave me the part numbers of the standard disc, and i just used the dimensions for a better disc

Maybe worth checking with Willwood, to see if anything thicker than a 20mm disc can be used on what the call "billet dynapro"

this is the standard disc supplied with the kit

12.19" (309,6) .81" (20,6) 8 x 7.00" (177,8) .325" 8.50" (215,9) 6.38" (162,0) 8.9 UL-32 160-0277

GTIR-LOZ

just have checked emails and have reply from willwood
Lawrence,
Rotor part numbers 160-8432 and 160-8433 are the rotors we recommend using.
These rotors will match the same swept are as the 160-0277 but dissipate
heat more efficiently. At this time we cannot recommend a pad compound.
More information is needed about your application. Please contact Wilwood's
Sales and Technical Department by phone so we may tailor a pad for your
vehicle. Below is the contact information to Wilwood's Main Distributor in
Europe. If you have any further questions, feel free to reply or contact
Wilwood's Sales and Technical Department by phone.

Rally Design Ltd.
Units 9 & 10, North Quay
Upper Brents Industrial Estate
Faversham, Kent ME137DZ
United Kingdom
[44] 1-795531871
www.rallydesign.co.uk
i am probably try to get some yellow stuff pads for them as on paper these seem great but we will see paul do you have the part number for the ebc greenstuff pads so can try to get some yellow stuffs made

PaulB

I didnt look at gren/red/yellow stuff pads, ive used them in the past and hated em.

I use the poly E`s on the road and they bite really well, Im going to use these on the road and the poly b`s for track days.

Those heavy duty grooved discs and deffo the way to go .

GTIR-LOZ

are they ok from cold? as i hate the warming up of brake pads:lol: the only prob is rally design dont recognise the disc part numbers so is going to be hard to source the discs from them

PaulB

There fine from cold yeah, there a fast street pad, struggle a little on track, so im gettin some track day pads too.

Yeah, Rally Design arent the greatest "european distributor" ive ever known, Get on the phone to Wilwood in USA and theyl sort you straight out.

Braveheart

Great information Paul!
I used a pad from Rally Design for the willwoods called Smart Pads, Part # 150-8946K which they advised were a good choice for track use. I bought 2 sets of pads, smart and poly Q. The last time at Knockhill, I had the smart pads and was looking for a bit more bite at the end of both long staights as they were fading. I'll try the poly q next time. My disks are still true but that's maybe just by luck as onlookers came to tell me they were glowing red and kicking off fireworks. Cool down lap without braking is wise.
The willwood kit is a vast improvement on the OEM stuff but not perfect for track use.
If and when I have the spare readies, I will get an AP kit or similar.

GTIR-LOZ

just ordered the discs through rally design were actually really helpfull if i can catch the air delivery its 14 days if not 8 weeks:-o
cant really picture them running down the runway after the plane waving two brake discs in their hands ;-) lol

79 a piece if more people order them then they will prob stock them as they said they only stock most popular discs as wilwood do so many brake discs

prob will give the yellow stuff pads ago as i was happy with the braking power of the greenstuffs and thought they were better than poly q's shame they fade

part numbers dp4039 for wilwood yellowstuff replacement
dp4889 for rear axle yellowstuff replacment

from www.ebcbrakesdirect.com

gunmetalgtir

Braveheart said:
Great information Paul!
I used a pad from Rally Design for the willwoods called Smart Pads, Part # 150-8946K which they advised were a good choice for track use. I bought 2 sets of pads, smart and poly Q. The last time at Knockhill, I had the smart pads and was looking for a bit more bite at the end of both long staights as they were fading. I'll try the poly q next time. My disks are still true but that's maybe just by luck as onlookers came to tell me they were glowing red and kicking off fireworks. Cool down lap without braking is wise.
The willwood kit is a vast improvement on the OEM stuff but not perfect for track use.
If and when I have the spare readies, I will get an AP kit or similar.
Did u manage to get your brakes fitted ok Scott? Or are you still having clearance issues with the wheels?

Braveheart

gunmetalgtir said:
Did u manage to get your brakes fitted ok Scott? Or are you still having clearance issues with the wheels?
I did but I had to fit spacers.
I bought 10mm Eibach spacers and longer studs for all four corners and I'm plesantly surprised at the improved stability they gave on the track.
Just waiting for my wheel bearings to implode now... :doh:

gunmetalgtir

Braveheart said:
I did but I had to fit spacers.
I bought 10mm Eibach spacers and longer studs for all four corners and I'm plesantly surprised at the improved stability they gave on the track.
Just waiting for my wheel bearings to implode now... :doh:
Glad u got it sorted mate! :D So were the spacers better than you first anticipated then? I remember u saying you weren't too keen on running on spacers!