Willwood High Temp Brake Fluid - not for road use

youngsyp

It'll be fine mate. You'll probably find that your brake kit 'isn't recommended for road use' and numerous other mods on your car too.

It's just a legal blurb they use, to cover their backs. ;-)

dombat

Yeah, the bushes, brakes and coilovers I've had fitted "aren't for the road" either!!!!

Excellent, will get bleeding those babies at the weekend.

J

jpward

Why did you not just buy some DOT 5.1 cant see anyone boiling that :lol:

dombat

Got sucked in by by blurb such as "low moisture affinity", "non-aerating" and "immediate brake response" boo hoo :-(

J

jpward

dombat said:
Got sucked in by by blurb such as "low moisture affinity", "non-aerating" and "immediate brake response" boo hoo :-(
Well it may well do all that fine but you should still be dumping it after 18~24months ;-)

O

Odin

dombat said:

I use mintex racing blue fluid in mine and it's excellent, A bit pricey but you can notice the difference straight away of the standard stuff or dot 5.1 for that matter too.

Rob

MarkTurbo

jpward said:
Why did you not just buy some DOT 5.1 cant see anyone boiling that :lol:
You'd be surprised! Also some brands of Dot 5.1 fluid will boil before other brands of Dot 4 brake fluid so you cant always rely on those ratings ;-)

youngsyp

DOT 5.1 isn't a superior fluid to DOT 4 or DOT 3 for that matter. It's just a fluid that is expressly designed for anti lock braking systems.

As MarkTurbo has stated, you'll most often find that the decent DOT 4 fluids will have a higher boiling point, both wet and dry. That's probably because more racers use DOT 4 as, they don't have ABS brakes on their race cars. So, the DOT 4 fluids are developed further. ;-)

youngsyp

dombat said:
Can you use dot 4 with ABS?
Yep, you can use any grade, glycol based brake fluid in your car, just not the silicon based DOT 5.

I think the only really difference, is the viscosity of the fluid. DOT 5.1 is very thin..... around half as thick as a DOT 4 at -40 degrees C.

What you should be looking for with the brake fluid, is what temperature it boils dry (without any water in it) and wet (with a percentage of water in it). The higher for both the better.
What you'll notice with the better fluids is that their wet boiling point is considerably higher than the lesser spec'd fluids. The best I have seen 'on the shelves' is Castrol SRF. This has a 310 C dry boiling point and 270 C wet boiling point. Compared to the Motul RBF600 at 312 C dry and 216 C wet.

Of course, the SRF is very expensive (£40 at litre plus) and, it will need changing very often. As a result, it's only really suitable for proper racing.

The Motul and AP 600 fluids seem to be a good compromise for high temp applications.

dombat

EXP 600 Plus wet boiling point of 417 F (214c).

Brand DOT ERBP-Dry Boiling Point
Wilwood EXP DOT 4 626º F / 330º C
AP PRF DOT 4 608º F / 320º C 1*
Castrol SRF DOT 4 590º F / 310º C 2*

So it's good when new and not so good when a little 'wet', so a shorter life. (Use of EXP should be restricted to not more than 12 months. (from a website))

Very interesting topic.

If anyone is interested, Castrol SRF is cheap on Opieoils currently (in the members section) at 27.99 so a significant saving.

MarkTurbo

youngsyp said:
The Motul and AP 600 fluids seem to be a good compromise for high temp applications.
Silkolene pro race 2000 and ATE super blue are both very good as well 8) Just stay away from Dot 5 (silicone) brake fluids ;-)