Why to remove ABS?

RO_SUNNY

Hi Guys.

Due to the fact that my car is an conversion from RHD to LHD It seems that my brakes don't want to work properly.
The anitlock light is on all the time in the dash and the rear brakes are almost completly locked.

Now...............I have seen during the last few years a couple of guys that said they removed the ABS.

Now my question is ; Why do you need/want to remove the ABS?

I might be interested in this as I checked all the brake lines and they according to the diagram in service manual, but still the light is on and the rear brakes tend to seize.

Cheers,

Bogdan

Trip

I completely removed mine because I wanted full control of the brakes and not let a bad designed mind of its own (in my opinion) ABS system control my braking.

RO_SUNNY

Hi mate.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you also detail ....what's needed for this removal and of course for the new brakes.

Cheers,

Bogdan

Trip

depending up to which lever you are removing it.

Many here just remove the ABS fuse and probably plug it back for MOT tests. I redid the whole brake system leaving only the booster and brake pedal in standard specs but my system is probably not good for daily use.

RO_SUNNY

Hi mate.

I would really like to remove the entire ABS system because is a real pain in the ass.

I have seen on some other forum that they sell ABS delete kits.
I think I can make some if people will be interested.

Now....can you please tell how to do this?

Cheers,

Bogdan

Trip

How can you make some if you don't know what it is :)

As i said. the most basic is to remove the ABS, but to completely remove it, you need to change the proportion valve to a non ABS model, bypass the abs actuator and connect directly to the proportion valve.

RO_SUNNY

MMMMM I really dont't understand your first sentence.

But...I have in the shop a proportioning valve of an non abs system from a sunny gti.
I will make some pictures of it and then we will talk more......of course if you want to :p

williams

i removed min. i just took all the original brake system out only leaving on the master cylinder/servo etc. i fitted new brake lines with non abs proportioning valve and just got rid of abs pump and ecu.

RO_SUNNY

Ok.....

This is the non ABS proportioning valve? (sorry for the dirt on it...didn't had much time for cleaning)

Trip

this is what you need to do in terms of pipe work

These are side by side of the two proportion valves. Left is non ABS and right is ABS

RO_SUNNY

Hi Trip.

Then what is the proportioning valve which I am having (the one from my last post)?

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!