Whos gotten rid of their ABS?

billy187

Right on the new pulsar it looks like the previous owner has gotten rid of the abs and the brakeing doesnt seem up to scratch compared to the uk gtir ive got with abs......do people just get rid of it to save weight? the cars running 400bhp but the brakes are fine running willwood 4 pots upfront and just put new rear discs and mintex pads on yesterday....so who else has gotten rid of it? im guessing its a big job to put back in?

stedee

ppl get rid of it because its too aggresive and cuts in too early, i agree but i would just take the fuse out

MarkTurbo

stedee said:
ppl get rid of it because its too aggresive and cuts in too early
Yeah, even with the standard brakes it cuts in sometimes far too soon :doh: But as soon as you fit any kind of uprated brakes the abs is never going to work properly anyway ;-)

The abs is designed around the standard wheels/tyres/pads/calipers etc etc and the system is programmed to know exactly how much torque should be generated by the brakes for a given amount of pressure applied to them. It also knows how much G force should be generated under braking. As soon as you start exceeding any of these programmed values (ie by fitting bigger brakes) all that happens is the abs system gets totally confused which can result in greater stopping distances ;-)

Ive pulled the fuse out of mine as i found after fitting my AP's the abs was cutting in sometimes with hard braking at over 60mph in the dry :shock:

GTi-R23

I'd say so yes, but for MOT purposes all you'd need to do is put the fuse back in, or take the bulb out if it was pissing you off being on all the time.

billy187

so i shoudnt worry about the abs then? what opinions have people got then off their brakeing running 4 pots and around the 400bhp mark?

cmng

ABS ?

You should not let the car control you
but you control the car

hench.. get rid the ABS