Which engine oil?

B

Brett G

I had previously been using Mobil 1 but now I'm told that this oil is no good for this engine (bit too late as my big end bearings decided to split up and migrate to other parts of my engine!!!!! :shock: )
What is the best oil for my engine?
-standard boost
-mongoose zorst
-pretty standard!

B

Brett G

Thanks JU5TY
Why that oil? Is it recomended by others?
Whats your views on mobil 1? Is it total S**T?

JU5TY

Yeah a number of other R owners use Castrol RS, but make sure it’s the 10W 60 grade and not the 0W-40. I think others also use Millers.
Do a search on Engine oils, there will be loads of threads on it.
Don’t know a great deal about Mobile 1, haven't heard great things! Reminds me of my Renault 5GT Turbo days!

J

J-GTi-R

There's a couple of different grades of Mobile 1, one at least is definitely not suitable for turbo applications (way too thin).

Hiteq stuck Millers CFS 10W-60 in mine, so that's what I use now (was using Magnatec before, but the car was too noisy on it..

B

Brett G

I think in my complacency I've put the wrong Mobil 1 oil in thinking its all the same :oops:
THAT'LL TEACH ME!!! :cry:

MarkTurbo

I've always used mobil 1 15w50 and never had any problems.

The other stuff 0w40 (i think?) looks like water :shock: and there's no way i'd ever put that in my car. Think i read somewhere it can leak past the oil seals on the turbo :?:

A

Anonymous

Simon of ND's is putting Mobil 1 in my car next week.

I'll try to find out if it's in fact the 15W 50 one.

I've always used Castrol RS 10w60 my self.

B

Brett G

Maybe then I just put the thinner one in?? But I'm not risking it again though :roll:

A

Anonymous

I've been using Castrol Formula R Synthetic (thats what Castrol in Oz call Castrol RS) 5W-30, I haven't had any problems as yet.

But everyone seems to recommend the 10W-60 variety. Is this really necessary for our cars if your not regularily taking it onto the race track?

I chose the 5W-30 because Nissan recommend a 7.5W-30 oil and Castrol claim the 5W-30 suits 4-cylinder engines requiring 5W-30 or 10W-30. It's made a big difference on cold mornings and oil pressure has been good on hot days.

Cheers,
Samson

B

Brett G

Hey Samson after what happened to my car and to someone elses on the same oil I really would stick to the tried and tested engine oils that everyone is recomending, just to be on the safe side, hindsight can be very unforgiving!!! :cry:

A

Anonymous

Castrol RS 10w60 every 3k

We just did a group buy, bought 20 x 4litre bottles for £23 each. Direct from Castrol.

Halfrauds wanted £35.99 :evil:

A

Anonymous

Had Castrol 5W50 synthetic oil until now, which I just switch to Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil. Seems like the engine runs stronger and smoother with 5W30.

Car is in California which is consider as a warm area, if that makes any difference.