Which Controllers to go for???

P

PaulG

Hi all, I need some advice,

My project track/drag R already has a AVC-R, 'road setup' very nicely by DP, but I want a few other controllers for mapping[?] Was originally thinking of getting an AFC-II, plus ITC controller, and an RSM meter to assist with the setting up[?] I reckon these should allow the level of mapping and monitoring I need and should cost less than Power FC (plus, have a top-dog engine calibrator to assist with setting[8D]) but if FC is the only way go[?]

Any experienced opinions[?]

Thanks
Paul G

"And then there were 2"

A

Anonymous

Ditch the black boxes and get a proper EMS. If you can't afford the MoTeC or Power FC, why not go down the Unichip route? You'll end up with something like 16 mapping points in total with the boxes, compared to the 250+ you'll have with the unichip.

MR Cruise 2003 III
December 20th
Donington Park

GINGA

Get the power fc and get it from somewhere like checkerflag as it won't be that much more than the s-afc/itc combo then.
Personally i don't feel that the s-afc has enough throttle position adjustment points(2) on it so can't be set up as well as something with a wide range of adjustment points.
Eg my car overfuels quite badly at around 50% throttle but because the s-afc only has 2 adjustment points for throttle position and the rest are a average of the 2 if i turned it down it would run lean at full throttle[:(]

Wanted 16" raceline rl7's

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by GINGA
Get the power fc and get it from somewhere like checkerflag as it won't be that much more than the s-afc/itc combo then.
Personally i don't feel that the s-afc has enough throttle position adjustment points(2) on it so can't be set up as well as something with a wide range of adjustment points.
Eg my car overfuels quite badly at around 50% throttle but because the s-afc only has 2 adjustment points for throttle position and the rest are a average of the 2 if i turned it down it would run lean at full throttle[:(]

how can you possibly advise someone to go to checkerflag? it has no warranty and is a big risk.
with all due respect,if you`re over fuelling badly it can`t be set up properly.it`s only now that i find the apexi units are at their limits and will be changing over to a power fc very shortly.
up until now,i`ve never had any probs with fuelling,be it part or full throttle.

Nad

quote:Originally posted by gtir369
[brhow can you possibly advise someone to go to checkerflag? it has no warranty and is a big risk.

Well most of the UK warranty's are just as useless anyway, or they run out b4 it breaks [:(] Everything that I have every owned and broken on warranty, only once was it sorted after a battle. For that reason I buy from abroad. If it breaks with the money I have saved I buy another from abroad [8D]

My opinion and view from my experiences obviously.

Nad

V's Fav webby

JapUK's first Martini Nova and the Champion Blue GTIR

http://www.rallymadnad.coolfreepages.com

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!!

Video of my car

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by Nad

Well most of the UK warranty's are just as useless anyway, or they run out b4 it breaks [:(] Everything that I have every owned and broken on warranty, only once was it sorted after a battle. For that reason I buy from abroad. If it breaks with the money I have saved I buy another from abroad [8D]

this makes no sense!
a warranty is enforceable by law.any warranty is better than nothing at all.checkerflag won`t even let you pay with a credit card which is another way of making sure there is no warranty.
what are you suggesting,continue to order parts until they finally supply 1 that works?

P

PaulG

Does the FC completely replace the std ECU[?] if so, wouldn't you lose all the std factory maps, cold start, etc. Does this cause a problem[?]

"And then there were 2"

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by PaulG
Does the FC completely replace the std ECU[?] if so, wouldn't you lose all the std factory maps, cold start, etc. Does this cause a problem[?]

from what clive was telling me,it is modded 200sx map so should still retain cold start etc.it is a complete replacement for the std ecu.other than the fact it`ll have to be mapped for "a" car,i don`t see any other particular problems.

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by robinsongtir
Bruce who is doing the fitting and mapping on your power fc[?]

dp will fit and map it.

L

LexDakarDatsun

Paul,

id also suggest a power fc[:D] yes it does fully replace the ecu, but when u price up a fuel conroller, itc and speed delimiter it is not bad VFM[8D]

ive had no probs with cold start[^] mine was mapped by uncle ian @ hiteq, im sure he could get u one for a special plice[;)]

try to get a pukka rnn14 one as opposed to an s14 one with the wiring looms chopped 2gether[;)]

at the mo mapping is done on the handheld unit with a tiny screen, these boyz in NZ r developing the windows software:

http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/
http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/model-status.html

Never underestimate the power of a Datsun turbo!
Show me ur boooooooost ;)

http://www.japukmeets.co.uk

GINGA

quote:with all due respect,if you`re over fuelling badly it can`t be set up properly
Yes theres definantly a problem in the map but its the standard ecu map and has always done it even before the s-afc2 was fitted so short of changing to a aftermarket ecu theres not alot i can do[:(]
Still better that it over fuels than under[:D]

Wanted 16" raceline rl7's

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by robinsongtir
so Clives giving DP the software[?]

ask clive?

O

Odin

GET A POWER FC FROM TAKA KAIRA IN JAPAN THERE LET YOU
PAY BY CARD SO IT WOULD BE COVERD[;)].

And I agree with Nad the UK tuners warranty's arn't worth
the paper there printed on they allways find a way out
of paying up[:(!][:(!], They just don't like you buying
abroad because they can't rip you off with there over pricing[V][:(!].

Just my own personal opinion mind[;)]

Wanted free lipo-suction

G

GTI-R Kid

Do you need a seperate boost controller when using a Power FC?

And if you don't have to - can you?

Rob

O

Odin

Yeah if it's like my motec you need a boost modul(sp)
but you can just use any of the controllers I wish I'd
kept mine then I wouldn't need a laptop every time I want
to change the boost.

Wanted free lipo-suction

A

Anonymous

quote:
And I agree with Nad the UK tuners warranty's arn't worth
the paper there printed on they allways find a way out
of paying up[:(!][:(!], They just don't like you buying
abroad because they can't rip you off with there over pricing[V][:(!]

i can only assume then that you and nad have both been prescribed the same daft pills.
if you buy an avc-r from dp or an hks wotsit from hiteq or a motec from powerstation and it comes with 12 months warranty and develops a fault within the 12 months you get a new 1.
if you buy summat electronic from japan and it develops a fault,even if it is covered by a warranty,your car could be off the road for weeks while the part is shipped half way round the world and back.
if you buy from a uk source,even if it is dearer,it comes with far more consumer protection and it`s easier to "pay a visit" [;)]

O

Odin

yes I agree to a point but most/all of the tuners I'v delt with
apart from power station have been anything but helpfull[V][V][:(].

and way way way to expensive on the good's they supply[V][V].

Wanted free lipo-suction

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by vpulsar
and way way way to expensive on the good's they supply[V][V].

it`s not expensive if summat goes wrong.you then have a warranty and supplier support to rely on.buy from checker or whoever and all you`re left with is a fooked controller which you`ve to replace out of your own pocket.
keep them expensive i say,that way you don`t get all those boy racers{like skiddy [:D]} trying to tune their cars when they really can`t afford to do it properly.