Which clutch for up to 350bhp?

bengilmore

My R is pretty much standard at the moment, but ive the engine out changing the pistons, so i might just change the clutch while im at it. Anyway which clutch do u all recommend, for up to about 350bhp and everyday driving. I think its really between the Ap organic and the Helix organic. Also whats the difference in organic and paddle?
Cheers

prkwan

i think a organic clutch is best for 350bhp.
paddle is too hard for everyday driving.[:)]

I am exhausted, are you?

bengilmore

Was talking to DP motorsport today and they said that they had excida clutches who actually make AP clutches. But is this not the excidy clutch that hasnt got great reviews here. I think it could be a helix clutch now though

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by bengilmore
My R is pretty much standard at the moment, but ive the engine out changing the pistons, so i might just change the clutch while im at it. Anyway which clutch do u all recommend, for up to about 350bhp and everyday driving. I think its really between the Ap organic and the Helix organic. Also whats the difference in organic and paddle?
Cheers

clutches are rated in torque {lb/ft} not bhp.reason for that is:-you can get big bhp engines with zero torque ie f1 and you can also get engines with hardly any bhp and loads of torque ie diesels.
if you are running anything up to about 1.3bar,then an ap organic will suit your needs very nicely.there`s no judder and it`s not too heavy but will take in excess of 300lb/ft.you can even go drag racing with it if you let it cool down now and again.

Jobi Joba

Was talking to DP motorsport today and they said that they had excida clutches who actually make AP clutches. But is this not the excidy clutch that hasnt got great reviews here. I think it could be a helix clutch now though

Just forget Exedy clutch if you have about 350bhp...My Exedy couldn't even handle standing starts with my 270bhp 'R running 1.1bar boost... [8]

currently buiding a near 400bhp beast... My goal?Mid 11' at 1/4 mile...

A

Anonymous

after talking at length to edd,it would seem that there are exedy clutches from japan that are good and exedy from the usa which are not the same [;)] but better to discuss this difficult issue off list if needed.

Nad

I have spoken to Daiken in the USA and they said they dont make a clutch for the GTIR which was at the point I got totally lost. Was going for the Hyper Single but gave up in the end. Gone the OS Giken route in the end but then I know what my drivings like [;)][:D]

Nad

V's Fav webby

JapUK's first Martini Nova and the Champion Blue GTIR

http://www.rallymadnad.coolfreepages.com

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!!

Video of my car

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by Nad
I have spoken to Daiken in the USA and they said they dont make a clutch for the GTIR which was at the point I got totally lost.
we know daiken don`t make a clutch for the r.what part of "off list" did you not understand.if this thread continues someone might say something that has repercussions.if you don`t understand fully please feel free to continue asking questions "OFF LIST" to edd as he has collated quite a bit of info on the subject.

M

Mr Overboooost

the helix organic can handle up to 328 ft/lbs of torque
cheers
gary

Nad

quote:Originally posted by gtir369
quote:Originally posted by Nad
I have spoken to Daiken in the USA and they said they dont make a clutch for the GTIR which was at the point I got totally lost.
we know daiken don`t make a clutch for the r.what part of "off list" did you not understand.if this thread continues someone might say something that has repercussions.if you don`t understand fully please feel free to continue asking questions "OFF LIST" to edd as he has collated quite a bit of info on the subject.

Sorry I dont have time to read thru every thread in detail, I just skim for anything that shouldnt be there. Ur post was fine so I didnt really read it properly hence missing the 'off list' bit. I got to the bottom and thought I would comment.

This information was collated by me last year before Edd started having troubles. I was advised to go to Daikin USA as there was no UK dealer then, and trying to get info from Japan was a nightmare about the fitment of the Hiper Single. After that I stopped and decided to go elsewhere. Edd has obviously carried on this and is now an Exedy expert.

Hope this clears it up.

L8r

Nad

V's Fav webby

JapUK's first Martini Nova and the Champion Blue GTIR

http://www.rallymadnad.coolfreepages.com

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!!

Video of my car