Where to place Axle stands?

BMCC

If the weather isn't tipping it down, I was hoping to have a go at getting this wheel of the hub at the weekend. Given that I'll have to get under the front of the car a bit to smack the tyre where is the best place to put an axle stand? I can jack the front from the side sill (according to the manual) but that is also where you are meant to place the axle stand.

Can you place an axle stand on the anti roll bar bushes where it meets the body? Anywhere else?

BMCC

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I normally put mine under the front support, and jack it from the point on that too. - Be careful putting jack stands near the ARB mounts as the box section is not structural and will crush with the weight of the car on it.

vpulsar

I normally put mine under the front support, and jack it from the point on that too. - Be careful putting jack stands near the ARB mounts as the box section is not structural and will crush with the weight of the car on it.

I agree I wouldn't put a jack anywhere near the sills either no matter what the book says, I use the front susp as Podody suggested.

Slunch

I'll prodably get corrected on this, but I put chocks on the rear wheels and Jack off the centre of the front cross member with a trolley jack. The axle stands go on this as well as its tubular and pretty solid. I won't go near the sills or chassis rails. I spent too long straitening them out, reinforcing buckled rails and seam welding where the front arb bolts down due to old jacking injuries.

BMCC

The front support? Not sure where this is.

The wishbone mounting points? Again sorry not sure exactly where this is.

vpulsar

I'll prodably get corrected on this, but I put chocks on the rear wheels and Jack off the centre of the front cross member with a trolley jack. The axle stands go on this as well as its tubular and pretty solid. I won't go near the sills or chassis rails. I spent too long straitening them out, reinforcing buckled rails and seam welding where the front arb bolts down due to old jacking injuries.

I don't see anything wrong with any of that I've even lifted the car using a block of wood sitting on the underside of the engine and box before there is more than one way to skin a cat lol, Just don't ever use the chassis rails or ARB mounting points.

vpulsar

The front support? Not sure where this is.

The wishbone mounting points? Again sorry not sure exactly where this is.

Just look under the front of the car you will see a central metal block in the middle of a tube that goes side to side at the front, You must know what wish bones are ?, If you don't you shouldn't be getting under a car full stop you may well hurt yourself.

The wishbones are bottom part of the susp at the front that the hub & strut assembly is attached to it is mounted by a big chunky bit of metal at the rear of the wishbone and is strong enough to take a stand.

BMCC

Just look under the front of the car you will see a central metal block in the middle of a tube that goes side to side at the front, You must know what wish bones are ?, If you don't you shouldn't be getting under a car full stop you may well hurt yourself.

The wishbones are bottom part of the susp at the front that the hub & strut assembly is attached to it is mounted by a big chunky bit of metal at the rear of the wishbone and is strong enough to take a stand.
Cheers for the info. I know what/where the wishbones are just clarifying what you meant by mounting point. I don't want to put a stand where is shouldn't be :oops:.

Slunch

Just don't ever use the chassis rails or ARB mounting points.
Try telling that to tyre shops- I've seen em do it. Both of my car have had the problem, it's a sod to fix but does wonders for understeer. Need to get under mine soon. I may try stands on wishbones and wood on the engine/ gearbox- for better clearance. How do jack the rear?

vpulsar

How do jack the rear?

Straight off the rear diff bud, I have a very low but high lift jack which works a treat, Plus I got some very sturdy 3 ton axle stands I don't trust the smaller ones. The car rocks a bit to much for my liking when up on the smaller 2 ton ones I had before, I found sitting the jack on the joint between engine and box of a sturdy bit of wood the best for getting height. I used to drop the engine the same way buy undoing the mounts and letting down on to the floor, Then I'd lift the whole car over the with a block and tackle drag the engine out and then lift it on to a pallet with the block and tackle that way I could do it myself and get it spit. I've fitted back in with it just balancing on the jack 4 times now lol.

Yes I agree totally about tyre garages they're total morons, I watched one guy punch a hole right through the floor of one gtir by sitting the jack on the chassis rail. My first words to them are that if any of them even looks like he's going to lift my car anywhere other than the front lifting point of wishbones I'm going to beat them to death, Always worked a treat for me lol

Rob

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As above. - It was tyre shops that crushed my box section (and stoved-in the floor of the car)... which results in an MOT fail that's expensive to fix since you need to get new section welded-in, and the floor hammered flat. That's why I stay clear of putting stands there now.

Garage jack points are the front cross-member and the rear diff. - To get extra lift I've put a block under the gearbox and used that before.

Slunch

Thanks guys I've been making a right meal of getting the back up, all looks really fragile and things have got really claustrophobic when I been groping around up the back of the block- pretty bad as I go caving for fun. Engines staying put for the minute, nice to know you've had good results that way Rob.