wheel paint

N

Ninja_tune_factory

hi all....................................................

this is for all for you that have painted ur rims , im getin sum new rims in the next coulp of weeks ( hope to have them on the car JAE) and want to paint them mat black , what primer should i use and what type of paint ?

thanks for any help lionel.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If your doing them from new. Get some coarse Scotch brite (not wet & dry it's to fine), rub them down all over and really key the surface well. You can use normal acrylic car body primer and paint, then do several coats of thin laquer. Works a treat.

Nad

Depends if the paint on them will react with the paint u apply. Idealy u want to use 2pak although it is poisonous. 2pak primer/base coat, top coat then lacquer. I used an etching primer as I stripped the wheels back and started from scratch.

Nad

N

Ninja_tune_factory

if i use laquer on them after i spary them mat black will it make the go shiney ? coz i dont want that , the rims a 2nd hand not new

wats the best paint to keep the mat ?

Nad

Lacquer is normally just a protective coat although u dont need it. I didnt use it on my wheels so I could touch them up easily. The shine normally comes from the paint though through my own experiences.

Nad

J

jasegould

If you want to use 2 pak, then you shouldnt need to ask what paint as its really for professional use only and you really need all the gear.

For best results for not much £££ I'd key up the wheels using red scotchbrite.........flat out any scratches/marks using +500 grit paper, fill any dents/deep scratches with filler and flat with +500 paper. Use Upol etch primer (Red can from Halfords) over any bare metal (just a few light coats to help the paint stick), then use Upol high build primer over the repairs (blue can), leave it overnight, flat the primer with +800 wet and dry and then buy some cans off matt black paint and paint em (best to get good quality cans from a motorfactors with the proper fan nozzels rather than the ones that spit paint out from halfords). If the finish is good just red scotch the wheels and paint straight over the old paint.

Matt black paint is just matt black, it wont need any lacquer, just straight out of the tin is ok. You could also try satin black which is a cross between matt and shiny, can look quite good.

I knopw cans can give an iffy finish sometimes but you wont notice an iffy finish on wheels as much as you would on a body panel.

J

jasegould

Be careful if u use the upol high build primer as its really easy to get runs, take it easy when spraying it and give it time to go off between coats :wink:

MarkTurbo

I've just changed the colour of my compomotives from black to white 8) I used that red scotchbrite too, i just rubbed the wheels down then sprayed them (badly :oops: ) with white primer.

I've left them like that for now cos i just wanted to see what they'd look like really :roll: I've gotta get 4 new tyres fitted yet so i didn't want to do them properly and then have the tyre fitting machine take all the paint off the rim :lol:

Whats the best filler to use on wheels? I've got a bit of a chunk taken out of one of my rear wheels where i went sideways into a rock :( on one of my local forest tracks :roll:

A

Anonymous

I had my stockies painted. (my girlfriends brother is a spray painter). We just gave them a good scrubbing, let them dry, cleaned them up, and then he sprayed them with 2pak Black with a Red Pearl through it....Looks the goods.

J

jasegould

When ive refurbished wheels in the past ive used an 80 grit disc on a DA sander to physically sand out as many of the kerb scratches around the rim...then used PP100 polyester stopper, just a really fine filler that is good for small scratches etc...but any filler should do, just make sure its compatiable with alloy.
Whats the best filler to use on wheels? I've got a bit of a chunk taken out of one of my rear wheels where i went sideways into a rock on one of my local forest tracks