What tyres would you reccomend?

J

jiw

After a new set of tyres for my new wheels, i need something that will be hard wearing and suitable for track and road use, also need a strong sidewall for less tyre roll that im experiencing with the Toyo T1S, size is 195/50/15, been told that ythe Goodyear eagle F1 is really poor for tyre roll but i thought these tyres where good, help me out :wink:

Hoping to buy tyres from here as they are well priced:
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

J

jiw

Any web links to them mate? all the tyre places round here want to rip you off with whatever they can get cheap off their suppliers, they all seem good to them when on offer :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
jiw said:
all the tyre places round here want to rip you off with
Tell me about it. Dunlop sp9000 215/35/16 from my tyres £84.60 all in. ATS 3 miles away £137 all in :evil:

youngsyp

I've just gone for a set of 215/40-16 Toyo T1-R's after a lot of recommendations from various people. They cost me £49.20 each from www.mytyres.co.uk + £7 fitting at a local place :wink:

Hopefully should have them on by the end of the week so, I'll post up the results !

K

KrissJ

I've just put F1s on the front of my 106 afew days ago (the rears will be goin on when I get paid but the fronts needed replacing :wink: ). They're 195/45/15s.

Obviously I'll be able to give a better view when all 4 are on, as it stands now, they haven't lost grip at all and seem very good in the dry. I won't dare push it in the wet til all 4 are on.

I've had continental contisport contact2s on another car as well and they were god in all weather conditions.

I know its not on a GTIR but I hope this helps a little. I put them on after hearing nothing but good things and reading reviews. They also look reet sexy n all, which helps :wink:

F

Fraz

ive used both adn favoured the f1's by miles n miles n miles n miles

J

jiw

Hmmm im thinking now, i did use pirelli Drago's on a previous car and i remember them performing well, deffo dont want the Toyo's as i get silly tyre roll up front running 34psi :?

jonee

tyres

dude there is no point pondering about it.

YOKAHAMA'S A048 you know it makes sence :D :D :D :D

once youv'e tried them you will never try another tyre.

jonee

J

jiw

any web links to them mate, what sort of price are they per tyre? jeff :wink:

K

KrissJ

Just tried the F1s in the wet on the way to work and they were stupidly grippy. The back end was all over the place (I don't have em on the back yet) on a big roundabout (provoked a little bit :wink: ) but the front never even struggled for grip. Most excellent!

Just thought I'd let you know :D

Those R888 look awsome but I personally do too many miles for them. I've heard they're jiggered in 3000-6000 miles :shock: Are those Yokos the track type ones that come on some evos? If they are then I've heard they're very good. Don't know how they compare to others though

A

alfyboy

have you tried reducing the hight of the side walls to say a 45 or 40 to stop the roll, just a thought

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Had to buy some tryres for my MR2 recently and it has a funny tyre size so limited choice.

Was looking at the Goodyear F1's but the body of knowledge on the IMOC said they die if taken anywhere near a track, sometimes after 1 session :shock: . As a road only tyre (Especially in the wet) they were the best all rounder. The bridgestones S02/S03 were considered the best track/road tyre but these weren't available in the sizes I needed.

Ended up going for the Toyo T1-R, Toyo are meant to have improved the problem on the sidewalls and track tyre wear. The TVR owners posts I read all seemed very happy with the new R over the S. Though the Toyo's are not as feelsome on the road, I could nearly replace all 4 tyres for the price of 2 F1's.

Semi-slick tyres are tempting but their wet weather performance concerned me, especially on the '2 that takes no prisoners in the wet.

Just my 2pence worth. Jim