What is the procedure for adjusting the tappets

M

Muppet

What is the procedure for adjusting the tappets?

btw I know they are shims but I need to know how to measure them and fit the correct size ones as my engine is a bit rattly.

thanks muppet.

J

jasegould

Right...first measure the clearance, then remove the camshafts and measure the shims, then work out what size shim you will need to bring the clearance back into spec.

For eg, if the clearance measures 3 mm, and it should be 1 mm, and the shim measures 2mm, you will need to fit a 4 mm shim top bring it back to spec, which is 1mm. YES I KNOW THE THESE ARE FAR TO BIG, FOR EXAMPLE ONLY.

A good tip is rather than measure them then wait for Nissan to sort out each individual one, buy a load of the largest ones and get a machine shop to cut them to the right size. Also you'll prob find you will be able to reuse alot of the original shims in different places.

Jay

Keira

sure i read somewhere you have to do a hot and cold adjustment or something on the shims ?????

Or am i barking up the wrong tree :?:

J

jasegould

They are all different, you will need the manufacturers specifications which will detail what procedure to follow....Ive only done one car (thank god!!) and i did them cold :?:

topcat

i just did mine.. pm me and i will scan the pages from the manual if u like.

i wouldnt do it if u dont know what your doing.

ohh and the shims are mostly on back order .. i had to wait 7 weeks for mine, and i work for them.:)
and is difficult to machine them as there are 2 shims per rocker arm 1 of which is a locating shim with 2 lugs.
:))

M

Muppet

Thanks for the info.

Topcat I would appreciate it if you could scan the manual for me. If I have to wait for the shims then I will have to wait but at least I will be able to quiet down my engine as it needs to be done at some point.

btw How much are the shims

thanks muppet.

topcat

the shim is £16 , and the locating shim £4. approx
there are 8 of each. but depends how many are out of spec.

i cheated and machined the arms to suit 2 locating shims per arm. :))

you have email aswell:)