What headlight bulbs for the R?

S

Stoned

One of mine has just blown so i'm after a replacement.

One of the things I best love about the R is the fantastic front lights mine has. It currently has some aftermarket bulbs in it going on the one I pulled out. An 'Alite 55/60w Blue' bulb

What do most people use on their R's so I can have some alternatives. I might get a plain replacement from Halfords for now and then buy an uprated bulb later

Are they H1 fitment?

And is it worth getting uprated power bulbs like 75w or will it strain the wiring (and the police when they see em :lol: )

P

Pete

its called a 472 bulb dude any motor factors should have them :D

L

Little Miss Road Rage

I've got a set of HID bulbs in mine and they're smart they show up reflective jackets from miles away and are only 35 watt so my alternator likes them too.

M

Mr Overboooost

go to halfords and buy the ones that say for off road use only :wink:

P

Pete

what and get SPANKET 2 at HALFORDSWHEREWEDONTJUSTRIPUOFFWEDONTCAREABOUTUJUSTWANTURMONEY :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

GAZ P

Could try some nice old tungsten 40/45W like in the old cars :lol: :lol: :lol: or a couple of candles :!: I use some nice 90/110W H4 hallogen bulbs designed for rallying on main beam everyone gets out of your way.....Probably due to the fact their blinded :twisted:

S

Stoned

Wouldnt the 90w/110w bulbs overload the wiring though?

Who else uses em and have they ever got hassle come MOT time or from the police?

My car has just sailed through it's MOT (a couple of days ago) at my local Nissan dealership. She had the 100/110W bulbs in her at the time.

She also had UV LED sidelight bulbs in as well (that I'd forgotten about) so go figure.

I've had those bulbs in since I bought the car, no wiring probs yet.

:wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've got 100W "off-Road" H4 's in both my jap cars. Were about £2.50 a bulb from the local motor factors. been using them for 3 years and no problems. dipped beam is pretty similar but main beam is fantatsic. I do a lot od riving at night down country lanes and I couldn't go back to normal ones now.

Jim.

G

gavmc18

ive got phillips 55/60w 30% brighter bulbs well impressed with them

gav

S

Stoned

Well I got some 90/100w blue bulbs in the end. Look very nice and seem to work just fine

geetee

I had 90 / 100W bulbs in but the plastic plugs that connect to the back of the bulbs went a bit crispy :lol:

The wiring to the headlights on these cars is a bit mincing, but it's not burnt out yet.

Not a big problem anyway... new connectors are only about a quid each.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Sam_M

Has anyone ever had problems with 100w bulbs in their R?? or isit just a myth about the wiring melting up

paz

Sam_M said:
Has anyone ever had problems with 100w bulbs in their R?? or isit just a myth about the wiring melting up
My plug melted on the drivers side - just replaced it ;)

paz