What frequency do your radios run on?

J

joker5060

As in your FM band. Over here in the States, our FM dial goes from 89.9-107.9 I would like to find a stock radio for my R, but want to make sure I could still listen to the radio. Thanks!!

youngsyp

If you get a stock radio I.e. A Japanese one, you'll be very limited to what stations you can pick up, unless you use a 'band expander' (these also tend to have limited ranges!).
I Have an aftermarket Panasonic CD/MD unit in mine that came with the car when I imported it from Japan and the native bandwidth goes from something like 70Mhz to 90Mhz. With the 'band expander' attached, I reckon it will pick up from around 80Mhz to 99Mhz and it's not very sensitive. However, this could be down to the head unit itself !

F

Fusion Ed

USA radios have different frequency stepping, also the premphasis on the them is not the same as the UK. This basically effects the frequency response of the audio. Some tuners have settings for uk or us. Though I dont know specifically about car ones.

J

joker5060

youngsyp said:
If you get a stock radio I.e. A Japanese one, you'll be very limited to what stations you can pick up, unless you use a 'band expander' (these also tend to have limited ranges!).
I knew about the jap ones being way below ours. Their raido freq. is actually in the same area as some of our t.v. stations. I was talking to another guy who imported a car from jap. that still had the stock radio, and he said he could listen to the Simpsons on his car radio on his way home from work....... I wasn't sure what you UK boys had though. Thanks for the info!

youngsyp

joker5060 said:
I knew about the jap ones being way below ours. Their raido freq. is actually in the same area as some of our t.v. stations. I was talking to another guy who imported a car from jap. that still had the stock radio, and he said he could listen to the Simpsons on his car radio on his way home from work....... I wasn't sure what you UK boys had though. Thanks for the info!
No worries. WHat I should have ended the reply with is that you can get what you want, with a Japanese stereo or UK stereo, you just need a band expander, in the frequency range that you're looking for. These are very cheap to buy and readily available !